What are you working on?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Zoopsia59, Jul 10, 2011.

1. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

Still struggling leading a giro while dancing an enrosque and lapiz, finishing with a parada. Anyone who can do it makes it look so easy, and I'm finding the balance (and maintaining my torso rotation) so hard ...
  2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

My too, compagñero, and I´m already dancing for a long time. My answer is: we make our hobby what actually is the greatest challenge for us. My problem actually is balance: so I started to tango and to climb.

By the way: to correct your problem with the giro, you have to correct your head action, and your hip position: But easier written than done.
  3. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

Of course, you can cheat! Assuming a turn to the left, if the leader starts the turn stepping outside on RF (leading follower back, then side ... ), he can just twist (pivot slowly) on the RF, until the LF has collected in front (like a slow spiral action), and then launch the lapiz with the LF as the follower starts a back step - but I want to be able to dance that 'slick' enrosque - wah!
  4. opendoor

By the way I find it harder with a planeo than with an enrosques. Meanwhile I can do it easily with rulos. And try to do the enrosques in slow motion and then let yourself haul off by the follower? You can decide then when to do the lapiz.
  5. salthepal

salthepal New Member

I think the trick for doing that combination is to get comfortable doing each of the elements separately. When I first started trying them, I'd typically go through a frenzied rush trying to twist, swing my leg out then stop. When I slowed down and figured how to do each of them individually, it all came together. The easiest way for me is to start with a forward sacada on the follower's forward step, do an enrosque, start the lapiz on her back step and then pivot a little bit more and do the parada. Obviously, this took me 2+ years to get.
  6. Temza

Temza Member

I was not so lucky and it took me couple of years to come to the conclusion that

To which I would add

And when the leader is moving, place your free foot, on the beat, wherever it needs to be to keep the connection
  7. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Well, when the leader isn't moving, staying in front of him isn't that hard. So your add is implied by the rule to 'do what you have to do to stay in front of him' (except the "do it on the beat" part) :D
  8. Temza

Temza Member

Agreed.
    But I think the 'free foot' bit is also important, because it is possible to stay with the leader, step with the music in the direction he is taking you, - but, by doing quick change of weight, step with the foot most comfortable for you, not the one he expects you to move. Infuriating, if done on a regular basis.

Not arguing, just trying to formulate for myself a concise rule which covers every situation. :D
  9. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I don't think rules like that exist, unless they are so vague as to be meaningless.

My first teacher often said, "There are no rules in tango".

The rule is: follow the rules except for when you shouldn't.
  10. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Milonga! Leading ahead of the current step. Trusting the follower to do her part and not to micromanage her. I can pull of some fancy milonga steps now that I never could do before. Gotta use them sparingly though, simple and rhythmic is good.

Also, in tango learned a new enrosque that leads into a back sacada. Good for a playful song.
  11. Kimmd

Kimmd New Member

Hi, everyone!

I'm a dancer, I love tango very much. Hope I can share any experience with you.
    Have a good time!
  12. opendoor

welcome here, Kimmd !