What countries did dances originate from?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by ruanishtar, Jul 13, 2004.

1. ruanishtar

ruanishtar New Member

My question is where a lot of different dances come from. For example Salsa, Cha Cha, and a few others come from Latin America. Is Tango from Spain? Where did Waltz originate from? The Foxtrot was named after an American, right? And a co question. How old are all these dances? Are there some real old dances I do not know of? Did the hustle originate during the disco? How old and where did the Rumba come from? And even a third question? What is the most popular dance in the world? And why is that?

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Tango is generally regarded as originating in Argentina though I think this may be disputed (My parents went on a cruise last fall to South America and were in Montivideo, Uruguay. My mom told me while they were there that they had heard it claimed to have originated there).

Waltz originated in Germany and Rumba from Cuba; this seems to be the general consensus.

Don't know just how old these dances are and I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable for the remaining answers.

3. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Ballroom Tango has about as much to do with Argentina as Gilbert & Sullivans "Mikado" has to do with Japan. It's all about exotic culture shrink wrapped for sale to a domestic audience in England, then eventaully re-exported to the world. These kinds of things are now traditions in their own right - but most of the tradition comes from the country where they were reprocessed, not the ones where they were collected.

(In the case of tango, there was also a Paris phase on the route to England)

4. ThatHaitianSwede

ThatHaitianSwede New Member

Okay I know hustle came from the Latin quarter in NY city during the disco era. And I believe Cha-Cha and Salsa come from Cuba.

And I know that bachata comes from the Dominican Republic and while it is disputed where Merengue comes from it certainly comes from the island of Hispaniola.

It's kind of surprising how new some of these dances are actually, and the time slot in which they have been tampered, redone, perfected, and still evolving, all in less than a hundred years! :shock:

Supposedly Foxtrot is the world's most popular ballroom dance, don't ask me why (I think it's because of the large library of jazzy music :p )

5. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I was referring more to Argentine Tango.

The only dance I know of that is of more recent orgin is Night Club Two Step. I think this developed only in the last twenty years.

6. Sabor

Sabor New Member

way i heard it, everything originated in Africa 8) ..

unless they were lieing to me :x

well, no matter.. i'm too shallow to care anyway :lol:

7. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

There are certainly some origins of dances not mentioned here, yet.

8. ThatHaitianSwede

ThatHaitianSwede New Member

Well... when you think about the Afro (african) beats attributed to the Afro-Cubano beats, which are present in essentially everything latin, then yes it does come from Africa. 8)

Paso Doble is from Spain :p

9. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

Most people attribute NC2Step to Buddy Schwimmer and he states that he started dancing it in the 60's. It has only become popular across the country in the last 20 years.

10. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

If I had to take a guess on the most popular partner dance in the US I would say Waltz. It has been around the longest, it is the easiest to dance a basic to, and seems to be the one dance that everyone at a wedding reception will attempt 8) It is also available in Classical, Pop, and C/W versions, so it cuts across dance segments nicely. When was the last time you heard a good C/W Foxtrot??

Waltz was definitely the start of close hold partner dances in society (British, at least) I'm sure forms of Polka probably started around the same time, but were probably seen as too uncouth for classy dances :wink:

Samba was taken from Brazil and, as has already been mentioned in regards to the Tango, has evolved into it's own European form.

By the same token, Mambo could be seen as an uptight Salsa. :lol: