What dance style is this? Please help

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by EnJoy, Oct 8, 2012.

1. EnJoy

EnJoy New Member

Hey guys ... I recently started taking dance classes (Jazz & Hip-hop, mainly) ... but I don't really know what this dance style would be.

Take a look at the video
    from 2:22-2:50
    then 3:09-3:25
    and finally 3:25-3:40

I know just looking at the steps you can say something, but pay close attention to the chest arching and stuff like that that they do with their upper body.

What would you say? What style(s) of dance are there incorporated into that choreography?

Thanks so much! I look forward to hearing from u guys
  2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Modern, HipHop, Jazz, Pop...
  3. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Can't see the video, but I looked up "Frozen- Madonna Sticky and Sweet Tour 2009" on YouTube... it's just run of the mill pop music dancing, I don't think there is a name for it. The closest thing is probably a hiphop class (which in a dance studio is going to lean heavily towards pop).

If you like this sort of dancing, check out Korean pop ("kpop") music videos . They blow this out of the water :D
  4. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I´m no expert for modern dance, so simply some ideas I got

2:22ff a finger twist of electric boogaloo,
    3:09ff some moves taken from industrial,
    3:25ff something I did 20 years ago called aerobic.
  5. EnJoy

EnJoy New Member

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Yeah, there are definitely elements of all of that there. It's a big mix. To my knowledge I can't really say "this bit is really modern dance, that bit is 100% hip hop"... it seems very mixed..

lol I literally laughed at your 3:25 comment... love that sense of humor ;) thanks

Thanks, I will check out some more kpop videos
    The hip-hop I take is never as athletic as this sort of routine though... you know, it's more "funky" and stuff. Maybe cause it's still level 1 stuff :p