What do I need to know to dance at a honky tonk?

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by Chris Hennes, Apr 10, 2012.

1. chuck4788

chuck4788 Member

Same dance, according to my source in Phoenix it started as A2S, then was renamed Rhythm 2S. A2S can sometimes have the appearance of of a slow ECS, but with a forward travel on the QQ instead of a rock step.

Triple 2S just replaces the SlowSlow of P2S with triples, works with slower music that has a slightly different rhythm than common P2S music.

I've observed three variations of P2S; most common is standard UCWDC style with ballroom frame and passing foot work, same but with Texas frame, and Texas frame with shuffle footwork.
  2. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

Sorry on the late response. Did you already go? There are many accomplished C/W dancers in Austin as well as good places to dance (we don't call them honky tonks though :) ) Also some good club down the road here in San Antonio. If your still in Austin or haven't gotten there yet, I'd be happy to recommend some places.

patrick

3. Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes New Member

Thanks, dragon. Yeah, the trip was a couple weeks ago. Next time I'll try to plan ahead better, we wound up ditching the bar we tried and went to a local ballroom studio for an intro lesson instead :).
  4. soccerdancer

soccerdancer New Member

Just go have fun!

The best thing to do is ti go and dance the way you were trained to do, which is with proper frame and no excessive hip movement. You will see lots of different types of dancers...the ones with good frame and posture and others who do not have it. If you are doing the Two Step, the QQSS is standard everywhere. You may see some men putting the right hand on the lady's shoulder/neck instead of the back as is now proper. This is old technique, but no-one will kick them off the floor. The Triple-Two is great for slower 4/4 time songs. You will see more folks dancing to it is TX. For fast songs, go Polka....other than the lack of bounciness one may find in European dance, the dance is still triple steps and lots of turns. Waltz: do the Country Waltz, not the American style with the second box step to the side. Country waltz developed differently because of the footwear (boots) worn and is done less son the ball of the foot, but this is the one dance in S&W that you may still use some Rise & Fall.

As for line dances, get in the middle of the dance floor if you wish to learn from scratch. Some of them can be picked up just by doing them and, if not, there is no right or wrong...only variation!

Have fun!