What do you do when you have no power?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by mindputtee, Oct 28, 2012.

1. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Hurricane Sandy is on it's way up the east coast, and there's a high probability that a lot of people will lose power, so I was wondering, what are your favorite things to do in a power outage, possibly one lasting multiple days.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

dance by candle light
    j_alexandra likes this.
  3. fascination

(other things in the dark ) :cool:
    j_alexandra likes this.
  4. read on my kindle and sleep
    cuddle with the animals (animal pile)
  5. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

As a veteran of many power outages, I enjoy firing up the woodstove, bringing out the candles and lanterns, listening to my battery powered radio, and playing a little solitaire, or cuddling with the kitties.
  6. fascination

board games, but only if my previous two ideas are not possible
  7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

+1 (other things in the dark )
    Sagitta and fascination like this.
  8. fascination

9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Great to see you Vince! Hope all is well by you! :)
  10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Talk with friends...good oil' conversation. And fasc's two primary recommendations. :)
    j_alexandra likes this.
  11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Funny. The last year I lived up north was a horrible winter for snow storms. There was a snow or ice storm every Wednesday from January until April. (Please don't ask me why Wednesday, but Wednesday it was.)

Sometime in the fall of that year, I happened to be watching CNN when they reported a mini baby boom all over the Northeast. Hmm *wiggly eyebrows*
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Things like the price of North Sea crude futures?
    j_alexandra likes this.
  13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Aren't the power lines in your 'hood underground?
  14. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Joe, that is the big question! I live next to the water and the power goes out when a tree falls on a line. Last year we had no power to the entire town when a tree fell on the main line serving it. I asked why the power lines were not buried, like it is in any city. The quick answer was that it was prohibitive to do this on a per house basis when in a city power serves hundreds per stretch. In other words, cities are more efficient in passing the co
    sts for this amongst its residents.
  15. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

They are, this is more a curiosity.
  16. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I was without power for a good week after the tornado outbreak April before last. It was a very different experience than your typical hour or two power outage. As I recall, I spent a lot of time reading. I did spend some time playing boardgames (Arkham Horror, as I recall). One noteable thing, and friends said the same thing, was just how easy it was to go to bed *really* early. Sure, there I had candles, but there was still a certain amount of "well, it's dark now, might as well go to sleep".

I *did* make a point of doing some stargazing though. The clouds from the storm actually cleared out quite quickly. As such, the power outage provided something of a rare opportunity to be able to actually see the night sky.
  17. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

read my mind!!!
  18. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

19. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

:eek:
    I admit it, I clicked that link, Larinda
  20. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

my dad sent that to me.. thought I would share the fun! :) :)