What do you do when you have no power?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by mindputtee, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

OMG Larinda!!!!!!!!

gotta go change my pants

kidding way funnY!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I knew it was coming and I still jumped.
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  3. mindputtee

Well, looks like the underground lines did us no good. Lost power a few hours ago, have been at my sister's where they still have power since (don't know if it is in fact back).
    Joe likes this.
  4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Reading, meditation, stretching...sleeping...listen to ipod, then charge it via laptop, then listen, then charge with backup charger and listen...Find someone to hang out with, the outdoors....
  5. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

If we were subject to power outages, my main activities would be entertaining the little one, and cooking. But, again, if we were subject to power outages, I'd have bought a generator...
  6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

It's so funny how perspectives change. I had aunts and uncles who didn't have electricity or running water until the 50s and they did just fine. That is to say, for most of human history, people were without power. From one perspective, we're just spoiled in some ways by having so many gadgets and conveniences.

OTOH. Sometimes, when technology advances, things are set up so that people become dependent on technology. For example, a few years back, all of the shared data at work was taken off paper or even internal electronic documents and stored on the internet. This is great, except when the internet is down and nobody has access to anything. At least, back in the olden days (last year lol) some old-fashioned people had paper copies. No more. Paper is verboten. So is getting your job done, in the event of an internet glitch. We're more advanced, but more dependent on things beyond our control. Kinda stinks, doesn't it?
  7. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

We're not spoiled, we just have different dependencies. If I were a old-time farmer, power would be a convenience, not a necessity. But I wouldn't be able to grow nearly as much food as technology allows for.
  8. mindputtee

And it's not that we couldn't live without power, we just are not prepared for it. There's not much reason to stock candlesticks and oil lamps when we expect to have power 99.9% of the time. They usually just take up unnecessary space.
  9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

where more ballgowns could go??
  10. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Unless you regularly use candles already. I do, so if my power had gone out, I could have kept my house, and me neighbor, lit for several days.
  11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

right...I have candles galore...love them...I could keep my house lit for a week..
  12. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

We mostly read and listened to the radio, once we had cleared out the refrigerators and cooked as much perishable food as we could. Until Friday, when we decided that we were bored and we drove to my MIL's house. My excuse was that I needed to use her Internet so I could work on my job search.

(Yes, JM and I live in the same area.)

Same here... We burned some candles, but my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, and after a while it just became annoying to read by candlelight. Also, we realized that there were things we could do just as well in the dark... going back to what Fasc said. :D

That was actually the first thing I thought of the day after the storm. But I was kind of disappointed in the sky at my house; it actually wasn't much better than it usually is.
  13. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I'll admit that I was glad that I had a dance lesson in Nashville that weekend. And that I have an instructor that didn't mind my showing up a bit scruffy. I mean, showering in ice cold water is one thing. Shaving with it was something else entirely.
  14. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? you scared the crap out of me!!!
  15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I am SO not clicking that link.

And when I get a power out, though the coop is good about getting lines back running quick (seriously, during a blizzard with 50 mph gusts and ice storm conditions I called to report the outtage and got a call back saying crews were in the area working to restore power! I looked outside at the white and was like "Um, okay, if you guys really think that's wise...") I will read by candlelight. Next time I may take a crack at "does olive oil really work in lamp" (or rather in the oil lamp I got at the estate auction) as it'll burn longer than a candle. When my eyes get tired, if it's night (as it usually seems to be) I'll go to sleep.

Of course, assuming I have the money, things being what they now are that's hardly a guarantee but if I have it, I OUGHT to get a hard-wire generator. (Can't decide on diesel or tapped into the gas line-that's another thing, I can cook if I need to on the stove top as the gas burners can be lit with a match.)
  16. afrochikkin

afrochikkin New Member

Drugs. All kinds of drugs. :p
  17. pygmalion

Never woulda figured you for a scaredy cat. ;) *ducks and runs*
  18. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

No point in walking into a KNOWN trap. (Besides, it's probably video for flash and 'boo' videos on dial-up usually kind of lose their zing.)
  19. pygmalion

I had so much fun luring DS into said known trap. Hehe.

There are still folks without power because of Sandy and apparently, this new storm is adding insult to injury by creating new outages. *sigh*