what do you guys do for living?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by yoyao, Sep 11, 2003.

1. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

I know...it's funny. I used to talk to area high schoolers about the USAF Academy. I'd tell them what a great place to get an education but that they'd owe the Air Force five years upon graduation and they'd all say, "FIVE YEARS!!!" like it was an absolute lifetime. I've been in almost 27 years and the time has just flown by.

2. bootscoot147

bootscoot147 New Member

for me dancin is just for fun, at the moment im a student

3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I'm a teacher, mostly for an afterschool program, part-time in museums. If I get the museum ed job I interviewed for today and the one that called to set up an interview while I was in the first interview, between the three I could probably quit the afterschool. I definitely need at least one more job as the skating teaching is seasonal and coming to an end. (Weekends? What weekends?)

I *wish* I danced for a living, but by the time I'm anywhere near that good my IRAs will probably be available without an early-withdrawal penalty.

4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Funny, never come accross this thread before! Amazing the things that lurk in DF...

Me? I'm a full time ballroom dancer :)

However, since no one seems willing to pay me to do that I also have to have an income paying occupation. I'm a brain scientist interested in how nerve cells communicate information with each other. Basically, one nerve cell extends a short or very loooooooong process (it can be several meters) termed an axon or nerve fiber that contacts the next nerve cell or a target cell such as a muscle fiber. Electrical pulses, or 'action potentials' pass down the nerve fiber but (generally) they can not jump accross from one cell to the next. What happens is that at these contact points or 'synapses' the impulse triggers the secretion of a small quantity of 'neurotransmitter', a specific biochemical, that binds to the target cell and either activates or inhibits it.

My work is to understand the molecular mechanisms of how the electrical impulse triggers neurotransmitter secretion. We use an array of methods in this. Most notably, an electrophysiological recording method - patch clamping - that allows us to monitor the activity of cell surface proteins, ion channels, in real time. These channels can open to admit specific ion types (most interested in calcium ions) virtually instantaneously and are key to the gating of nerve (and other) cell activity. But complementary methods include staining of individual protein types and imaging in high-resolution microscopes: biochemistry to analyze the proteins and their binding; molecular biology to alter their relationships and test the outcome and many other methods such as tissue culture and electron microscopy.

I'm also a professor of physiology, hold a couple of chairs, and do a little teaching.

5. MissBallroomBear

MissBallroomBear Active Member

Wow.. A few too many big words in there..:confused:

Me? I'm successfully holding down a job as a full time student. Sure, the pay's not great (non existent) but we do learn a lot (not).:bouncy:

6. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Durn, I was trying to explain it so that the 'laystudent' could get it. Obviously I need work on my teaching method! :(

7. Angelo

Angelo New Member

Intergalactic Bounty Hunter

8. noobster

noobster New Member

I keep switchbacking between science and medicine. For a while I was a medical student, then I was a graduate student (also working on synapses, weirdly - more of the biochemistry side rather than the electrophysiology side, though I'm now curious about who elisedance is in real life and whether I know her work), then I was a med student again for a bit. Right now I'm a resident physician so the research is pretty much on hold for the nonce; but I plan to get back to it later on, at which point my job description will again change drastically.

9. elisedance

elisedance New Member

wanna job?

10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

wait a minute - whatcha mean 'in real lfe'? Don't tell me DF isn't real life and all the other stuff is???? I may just check out...........

11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I thought it was a pretty good explanation, myself.

That's one thing I've got to give my FIL credit for...he's absolutely amazing when it comes to explaining things. He's an electrical engineer and has dabbled in tons of different things, none of which generally make one iota of sense to me, but he can explain things so incredibly well that even the most complex of things makes absolute sense. Truly an admirable skill.

12. ThisIsNotMe

ThisIsNotMe New Member

Well, at the moment I'm a "project updater" which basically means I sit in front of a computer and update a company's database day in and day out. But that's just something to do in my year off, before going to uni. Next year I'll be a full time student again, studying psych and bio, and hopefully after that I'll go into postgrad medicine. Or then again, I might have changed my mind by the end of the psych/bio degree.

13. elisedance

elisedance New Member

er, whats an FIL? :|

14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

father in law?

15. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I bet thats right.

16. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Luckily none of those things sound like they take much time :rolleyes:. I'm "lucky" enough to be a minon for someone like her, only my research is complex fluid flow (i.e. how does peanut butter/silly putty/tar flow). Since you're a neuro scientist any ideas on why grad school has really increased my scatter-brained-ness?

17. Me

Me New Member

I put my MA in English to use as a research assistant for the National Foodservice Management Institute (NFSMI). I assist in data collection and survey-based research and write publications that are (hopefully) easily understood. The main focus is on child nutrition. As I am in Mississippi, you can imagine that much attention is paid to the overweight and obesity epidemic.

My passion is Argentine Tango and I would love to perform and teach full-time one day. I also love ballroom and Latin dance, of course. :)

18. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Simple. If you stay in school too long, your brain gets too full and random stuff falls out.

19. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Fraid thats a bit like asking someone that is an expert on electrical switches to explain how the telephone system works. Tis the other end of the spectrum!

But I think the absent-minded professor is a real phenomenon. You focus so hard on complex problems that what you now designate as day-to-day becomes trivial.

20. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I think you put that perfectly. I've been loosing random stuff for over 30 years now - there's such an odd assortment thats left :)