what do you guys do for living?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by yoyao, Sep 11, 2003.

1. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Salt pork, not bacon. Keep a chunk in freezer and just pull a couple slices off for each batch.

2. SwingWaltz

SwingWaltz New Member

What job do you have?

Well just thought this may be interesting, I found out a whole lot of science people at my studio. I can so relate to them better now cause I am a science nerd myself. LoL

So what job(s) do you have?

Start from me, I'm a full time Biomedicine student. I tutor highschool kids and during uni break I work full time for a Patent Attorney (BioTech) firm as a files clerk.

3. ThisIsNotMe

ThisIsNotMe New Member

What do you do for a living?

At the moment I have the most boring job in the world. Data entry. I hate it so much....looking for a new one actually. Though it is only for a year, until I go to uni to study....wait for it....science! Bio, and psych. Followed by post grad medicine, if all goes to plan.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

and to repeat myself from many moons ago...I have a master's in theology specializing in pastoral counseling (BA in sociology as well)...I facilitate a grief group, give inservices and grief counseling , I also do pre-marital counseling for a parish...and I teach aerobics and kickboxing along with some personal training

5. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

are you single? ;)

6. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Computer geek: software engineer doing embedded software in C.

And a CPO in the Navy Reserve, currently serving as unit CO.

-----------------

Reservists' Jody Call (beginning):
    Active Duty, who are you?
    You have one job; I have two.

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

THIS is the thread

8. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Figured you meant this thread. Now I have to go back a page to see why the hell I was talking about salt pork on the job thread though. :D

9. Laura

Laura New Member

I was a computer programmer for a while. Now I do a little of this and a little of that, including photography, sewing, web site maintenance, working at events such as trade shows and dance competitions, and I was on a documentary film crew for a while last year.

10. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Oh, and I'm still acomputer nerd. :) Systems engineer/network administrator/Systems Administrator/programmer/Network Engineer/etc. Depends on what day you catch me. :)

11. Laura

Laura New Member

And about the salt pork?

12. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Hahha Laura, we were helping someone eat cheap, and I said they should use salt pork rather than bacon when making pinto beans. :)

13. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I'm a Regional Dispatcher. I can't really break down what I do. But basically, it's something like this:

1. Handle any given situation regarding techs, collection departments, customer service representatives, contractors, direct sales staff, and other outside agencies in mainly 6 different states. However, we get calls from all over the U.S. as well though.
    2. Route techs and sometimes contractors (depending if I leave before the supervisor gets to the office, but unfortunately... I've only gotten lucky doing that maybe like once or twice lol) routes on a daily and hourly basis.
    3. Answer phone calls from different departments all over the U.S.
    4. Answer instant messages from techs.
    5. Check for outages and production reports on an hourly basis.
    6. Answer and report to leads, supervisors, managers on an hourly basis.
    7. Ensure safety for everyone in the field (you would be surprised at what I could tell you lol).
    8. Work with storm damage and other damages in different areas.
    9. Check for failures within the system on a hourly basis (different from outages and storm damage etc.).
    10. And anything else that comes our way including paperwork etc., which is a major pain. But it's all part of the job.

Oh and all of this is done by 13 dispatchers, and that's minus one or two with those that take off during the week, or that call in sick. It's a tough and stressful job, but it pays really well. And the benefits and perks are worth it. Plus my department is like a dysfunctional family. We get along really well even when we argue, which is great with all of the work that we do. If you think about it, you would be surprised at how well we actually do to get things done, because of the fact we get along, which is why we were made a regional office to begin with. There are no other dispatchers in the six other states that we mainly watch. (There are other regional offices as well.) But we are it for six states.

And you either love it or not, and if you don't... you won't make it. It's that simple. Thank goodness I love it as I must say no day is the same! It's always interesting and kind of fun in a way! Especially during storms to where we are on call 24/7 (I really don't like ice storms lol). However, the pay is worth it, and you feel as though you are helping people in your own small way. I can't explain it! Love it!

14. QPO

QPO New Member

one half of QPO is a student doing a BA in applied science and the other half is a PA for a University

15. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

I am in accounting

16. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

A pirate. Harr harr!

17. Kassia

Kassia New Member

I was a dental assistant and my dh is a commercial truck mechanic buy trade. But now he trains the other mechanics to fix the aerial equiptment( lift trucks) that fix the power lines... No all mechanics can fix the equipment too.. Most do the mechanical repairs to keep the trucks running and on the road..

18. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Update: Being an Instructional Designer is great. I really enjoy the work and the people are great. And, as an added benefit, I'm only 5 miles from my studio. All good these days!

19. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

By day- Interactive Developer- aka- web designer, media person.

By night- dance instructor.

In between- professional sleeper.

20. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Awesome! You found someone who will PAY you to sleep?!?