what do you guys do for living?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by yoyao, Sep 11, 2003.

1. dadutchdancer

dadutchdancer New Member

im a truck mechanic(mecomic more likely:p:p)

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

A comic, eh? One of my life's little ambitions is to do stand up comedy . . . at least one time! . . . mecomic . . . nice new word to use!!!

3. Patapouf

Patapouf New Member

I'm a professional slave. :shock: :lol:

(Hint: in my dictionary, slave and graduate student are the same) :roll:

4. tacad

tacad New Member

:lol:

What do you study?

5. Patapouf

Patapouf New Member

Chemical Engineering.

Since I'm close to finishing, I might have been promoted to professional slave master, working for the master of master.... :roll:

6. tacad

tacad New Member

:lol:

Are you washing your advisor's car? Giving free dance lessons?

7. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

And I'm very selective, too. ;)

8. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Hmm, could have sworn that I had replied to this one.

Software engineer. Mostly embedded software written in C.

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Ah ha!!! That explains a lot. :wink: :roll:

Was it you who talked about assembly language programming? I thought that language was dead and gone -- I did it in college -- but I thought it was dead. Then, several months back, I saw a job posting looking for an assembly language programmer. :shock: :?

What's up with that? :?

10. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Hmm. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to take that.

Oh, assembly language is very much alive and well. That is, afer all, the only language that the computer understands natively; all the programs written in any of the other programming languages has to be translated or interpreted into assembly for the computer to understand it. OK, so actually assembly is the human-readable form of the machine code which is the only language that the computer understands, but you get the idea.

Although most programming is done in higher-level languages instead of in assembly, there are still projects that require assembly, such as device drivers and really-time-critical operations like computer-game graphics (though I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't some highly optimized special compilers for those graphics). And we do have some very low-level functionality in our projects that we could only have accomplished in assembly.

11. Keith & Rita

Keith & Rita Member

I am part owner of a metal fabrication business and Rita is a civilian employee of our county's Sheriff Dept.

12. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Welcome to the Dance Forums, Keith and Rita!

13. Keith & Rita

Keith & Rita Member

Thank you Raluca! :D :D

14. luh

luh Active Member

high school student - living still at home - i can tell you - it s*cks :evil:
    luh

15. kansas49er

kansas49er New Member

For a living, I am a design engineer for an aircraft company. For life,
    I am a volunteer firefighter and EMT, a part time antiques dealer, grandfather, and a learning dancer.

16. Leah

Leah New Member

Hmmm. I study people's brains? (Or I procrastinate on-line when I should be studying their brains?) But that's OK they're post-mortem so they're not going anywhere ;)

17. ArmySwingMan

ArmySwingMan New Member

Name Says It Most

I have been a Criminal/Intelligence Analyst for the US Army. That's been the first 10 years of my career and now I'm adjusting to a new area of study that involves flight and a ton of electronics.

The whole dance thing doesn't go over very well with extremely conservative soldiers that don't want more than to drink and . . to drink more!

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Re: Name Says It Most

And you are in the right position to do a little influencing? Welcome ASM. :)

19. ArmySwingMan

ArmySwingMan New Member

Influence

Influence exists for those who want to exert it on other people. I'm a more laid-back soldier that does a lot of listening and doesn't brag about nightly exploits or praying to porcelain gods. There is a way to be a cool character but there are definitely more high-speed people than me who exert what they think they know.

20. Tenshi_no_Pocky

Tenshi_no_Pocky New Member

study study

I am a student at a local community college with no certain direction. Basically, I am like a chicken with its head cut off. I hope to figure out what I am going to major in soon. I used to work part-time at a Taco Bell but, I no longer work there. I hope to hold another part-time job soon outside the fast food industry. (not career, PART-TIME) lol