What do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Zaratustra shaking it, Dec 23, 2005.

?

Tango or Milonga

1. Tango

20 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Milonga

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Tango or milonga??

2. DavidL

DavidL New Member

:)

Yes.

(Although, while I enjoy both a great deal, Tango can entertain me longer than Milonga can).

David

3. FTL

FTL New Member

I haven't really danced milonga yet but I've watched it several times. I think I prefer tango for now.

I am not so sure if there is any proper sequence learning Argentine dances but I am currently doing tango and just started vals. I put milonga for last because it attracts me the least.

4. I love to dance them both... milonga is happier, but tango is... well tango is tango.

5. Twirly

Twirly New Member

I can't do milonga very well yet, but I'd love to learn it properly. It's so much fun and a wonderful break from the intensity of tango. It will be interesting to see if anyone votes for milonga...

6. diputs

diputs New Member

I have to ask, because I have been curious since I first saw this thread.

I have never done any "type" of tango. I was under the impression that a milango was a tango party. I am gathering that this is incorrect from this thread.

I know of three types of tango. American, Argentino and International. Where does Milango fit in?

7. ssjss

ssjss New Member

A Milonga is a place to Tango. It also iis a genre of A.T. There are three basic types of Tangos you'll find at a Milonga. From Milonga, Tango And Vals. Each are close but different in music, tech. and experience. Milonga is a happy dance done at 2/4. Tango is Tango, I can't put words to it, There's just too much there to explain. Vals music 3/4 and for lack of better words resembles a watz.

8. diputs

diputs New Member

Thanks

9. jhpark

jhpark Member

I'm not comfortable dancing milonga yet, so it's tango and waltz by default for me. I'm not really interested in learning milonga, apart from the fact that not dancing milonga means I have few chances to dance with the lovely ladies who do dance milonga...

10. bentivoglia1

bentivoglia1 New Member

what happened to waltz?

-

11. new-ish

new-ish New Member

Well, you know that somebody has to zig while everyone else is zagging, but at this point in my Tango journey, I definitely feel more comfortable with Milonga style. Probably because the 2/4 timing is easier to grasp than 4/4.

When I first started ballroom, I felt more comfortable with Merengue than Salsa, but now I don't even do Merengue.

12. I think vals would be included in "tango"

13. Tanguera

Tanguera New Member

I like both... :)

14. jhpark

jhpark Member

I've finally started becoming comfortable with milonga. No traspie yet though... And it's definitely not my favorite of the three.

15. The Tango Addict

The Tango Addict New Member

Definitely Tango!!!!

16. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

It depends. On a song, on a partner....

17. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

As in all dance genres, each dance brings something different to the floor. The three main dances of the AT family bring 3 distinct rhythms, timings, movements, and feelings to the dance floor and to each dancer. Each can be happy...somber (yes, even milonga...), energetic or smooth. The common thread is that they all inspire a passion that all of us at the DF find intoxicating.

Which is preferred? The answer is simple. It's, "Ask me again, tomorrow".

18. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Milonga. Dare I blow my own trumpet :wink: but I lead it brilliantly and so I love it. But, I prefer to "follow" a tango - especially when the lead is leading it slowly, in time, sensuously, imaginatively with many dramatic pauses, holds, slow turns etc. Corrrrr...I just get lost in the translation of it all. Yum!

19. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Have you ever stopped? :wink:

20. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Mais bien sur, cherie!!