What do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Zaratustra shaking it, Dec 23, 2005.

?

Tango or Milonga

1. Tango

20 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Milonga

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. bastet

bastet Active Member

I love milonga- slap in some traspies! I love tango too...just depends on the music and partner which of the 3 I prefer at any one time. But milonga is a little happier and always makes me feel better when I am dancing it.
  2. dramababe

dramababe New Member

Tango

I'd have to say tango all the way, it's one of my favorites!!
  3. jfm

jfm Active Member

I love milonga but it depends on the partner. so I'll modify this: I like Milonga best when I am dancing with someone who knows the difference and can dance it, otherwise i'd prefer to tango. less confusing.
  4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I'll ask this here, but it goes back to something you said in another thread (dancing a fast tango to a milonga). Um...what's the difference?

Not talking about the music, but about the dancing. It's the same set of steps, roughly speaking. The tempo is different, and the way it's approached is different. But speed up your tango dancing enough, change the focus a bit (to focus more on the rhythmic elements) and you're dancing milonga. Is there something else you see that I'm missing.
  5. jfm

jfm Active Member

well, the weight changes on each step/beat (this is what i' have been taught by several teachers) unless you are deliberately lead not to, and there is traspie. you use elements that are similar to tango but quite different in feeling because they allow for the wieight changes and the timing etc. some people say that the follow is always on the left foot on the first beat and the right foot on the second beat... but i think that's not entirely true mostly it's like cebraditas (i'm sure i've spelt that wrong) but without the bounce.
  6. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

"some people say that the follow is always on the left foot on the first beat and the right foot on the second beat"

Beware of anyone who uses the word "always" when talking about AT.
    I've never heard such a thing. Of course, if you think that the "8 count basic" is the basic step of AT, you might by that one, too.
    I think you will be much happier dancing milonga if you think less about "doing it right", and concentrate more on stepping or doing a weight change on that prominent beat.

If the music sounds "bouncy" to you, you can express that by using more rise and fall, or sway, in your upper body. Women will sometimes sort of "wiggle" their upper body/shoulders to express this.
    If the music sounds more "down to earth" use a more solid step.

I'd say, too, save the traspie for special occasions.

People "say" that there are no pauses in milonga. I wonder if we are listening to the same music. There are pauses at the end of phrases lots of times. Those are fun to catch, and they don't require any additional technique, except...pausing.

"because they allow for the weight changes" ??? I'm not sure I know what you mean by this. Each time you take a step, you have "changed weight". If you stay in place, you can do a "weight change". ???
  7. jfm

jfm Active Member

Oh well even when i put lots of modifiers in to explain that it's not my claim but what I've heard said, or been told, apparently whatever i say is deserving of being kicked apart. I'm just not going to bother trying to be helpful any more. Let's all just do a really fast tango instead.
  8. Angel HI

Angel HI Active Member

Jfm, Frustration noted. Too often, replying posters fail to sepaerate the post from the poster, and/or fail to see the forest for the tree. Perhaps, some of the confusion here was/is over terms, and the nonending confusion between steps/music/count/rhythm/style. In a milonga, we do not really dance on every beat...literally. And, though I believe I understood what you meant, here in cyberspace, some might take it more literally than others, and misunderstand or take issue. Traspie is a term used in a couple of ways in the Argentine language, but in true american fashion, we (my amer. half talking) want it to be one specific thing and that's it. Everyone can see how this causes confusion.

Your posts have been welcomed.
  9. Twirly

Twirly New Member

Really? What do you mean by special occasions? I think traspies is the best part of milonga - though i would say only do it if it works with the current partner, otherwise stick to normal, on the beat milonga.

I agree that hitting the pauses is a great feeling.
  10. Twirly

Twirly New Member

Could you please explain in what different ways traspie is used? I'm not sure I understand. Thanks!
  11. Peaches

I second Twirly's question! :)
  12. Twirly

Twirly New Member

I love milonga too, and would also much rather dance tango with someone who doesn't dance so well (milonga or tango). You can always manage to get some enjoyment out of a tango, but it can be frustrating when you really want to dance milonga (or vals for that matter) and all you get is a tango to milonga / vals music...

Dancing on the beat isn't enough, I really don't like running around with huge steps on each beat. Small steps, lots of weight changes, not moving so much on the floor, traspies, hitting breaks, playing with the music - great!
  13. Peaches

Understod, been there. It happens to the best of us. You "say" something that seems perfectly innocuous, and the next thing you know it's being torn to pieces and you, seemingly, are being vilified for something that you may, or may not, have actually believed. Sucks.

I hope you don't go that route. Your answers are appreciated. As for the really fast tango, I'm still not sure I completely understand the differences you mention, but so long as we can each dance it, does it particularly matter how we label it?
  14. Angel HI

Angel HI Active Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Angel HI [​IMG]
    Traspie is a term used in a couple of ways in the Argentine language, but in true american fashion, we (my amer. half talking) want it to be one specific thing and that's it.

Certainly. We (I humbly take that liberty from having stayed there for a loonngg period)...They [Argentines] use traspie sometimes to define the "...Small steps, lots of weight changes, not moving so much on the floor, traspies, hitting breaks, playing with the music - great!..." of Twirly's earlier post as it applies to the beats/rhythms of tangos played as such. DiSarli, Salgan, and others were great for this. The term is also used to mean a sudden or snappy stop, jerk, or slide. Not much jerking in AT, but sustenidos are great; I dance them lots (for exhibition). And, of course, many Argentines use the term loosely to mean syncopado, which we all know is incorrect but accepted because of popular usage (by americans as well) more than much else. OK?
  15. Peaches

Thanks, Angel!

What I find kind of funny is that when I first (first-first) learned milonga, I learned it con traspie. I thought the syncopated rhythm, and the stepping on the &'s, and all that was just the way milonga was supposed to be danced. It wasn't until later that I learned that it could be danced without any of that.
  16. Angel HI

Angel HI Active Member

Yeah. I understand. We have to remember that though tango, salsa, milonga, vals, rumba, etc, are all dances from another place, but just dances. And like all american dances, they can be danced in various ways. There are 8 main kinds of swing, for example. Stands to reason there would be more than one milonga.
  17. Twirly

Twirly New Member

Thanks! I always just thought of traspie as in "milonga con traspiƩ" as opposed to "milonga lisa" (step on the beat only). That's how the classes were always labelled in Buenos Aires. :)
  18. Angel HI

Angel HI Active Member

Je vous en prie.
  19. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Tell me about it :rolleyes: :D

Please stay on, I appreciate your posts.
  20. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

to add to the confusion I have a recipe for Tras Pie, a savoury dish a bit like steak and kidney pie or cornish pasty ;)