What do you think of wearing a scarf with a t-shirt for men?

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by Imbrace, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Imbrace

Imbrace Member

whether it's:

a little cold or not,
    for fashion or little warmth
    in dancing or just like that

I saw some pictures on the net and in some merchant websites selling men's clothes.

Both men and women's tastes are welcome :D
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think it depends upon the man...and also what part of the country he lives in, the dance environment...etc....I know that if a guy showed up in a scarf round here, there'd be an eyebrow or two that got raised...unfortunately
  3. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Chad Michaels
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Huh? Dunno Chad Michaels, but I will google.

To answer the question, though, I am not a fan of the look. I think that just the right guy can pull it off. I also think that lots of guys think they're just the right guy, even when they're not. Also, like it or not, it's a very late-seventies look (I'll google for some photos.) I've seen quite a few guys wearing a shirt and/or jacket with a scarf. It just looks, to me, like they never threw away their disco duds.

Thumbs down, from here.
  5. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

perhaps its like the cravat; adopted by luvvies, and worn by few other men..
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

What kind of scarf do you mean? Men wearings scarves is normal in these parts...but maybe I'm misunderstanding what kind of scarf you're talking about.
  7. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Actually saw a lot of scarves on older men at the Polo Lounge, not with t-shirts, tho.
  8. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

I don't think they mean this ^^^

I think they mean this VVVV
    [​IMG]
  9. pygmalion

Hmm. I definitely like the bottom picture more than the top one, and neither is what i was envisioning. Still not a fan of the look for most guys. You have to have the right kind of build to successfully pull off the t-shirt, because the scarf cuts both ways. It would be just as likely to accentuate the negative as the positive. I actually have a coworker who wears that look, occasionally, on dress-down Fridays. It would be cute on him, if he weren't too old and too fleshy. Not at all fat. Just a tad too much meat on his bones to create the look. My $0.02.
  10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

All kinds of versions of the top look happen pretty much daily in my home. The lower pic...even I wouldn't wear a scarf like that. Though I think my mom did...in the 80s. :)

But wrapped loosely around the neck, with the ends hanging down or looped very casually, I see that pretty often, and when I was in Switzerland a couple months ago it seemed like every third person was doing that, men & women.
    x200.jpg de-nada-infinity-cable-knit-scarf.jpg
  11. pygmalion

Add 50 pounds and 20 years and that's just wrong. lol.

Unless i'm mistaken, your place is full of thinnish, muscular, young, handsome guys. Perfect for the t-shirt plus scarf look. My DS's thinnish, muscular, handsome friends tend toward the biker dude look, except for one. The metrosexual look could get you killed, in our neck of the woods. I wish I was kidding.

The only one of DS's friends that i know who would wear that and get away with it defies all limitations. He's very aggresive with the girls and constantly goes around asking "How's my hair?" and checking on his fashion choices. the definitive metrosexual. Few and far between around here.

Short answer. i still don't like the look, unless you have the bod for it.
  12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Yah, would take on a different look with a different build. It's not necessarily metero, though...there's a laid-back yoga/hippie aspect as well. Or just Euro.

Anyway, I totally get that in Texas or Michigan, this is likely not a common way for guys to go around. :)
  13. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Love it, on the right body. Just sayin'.

Then again, I've always liked the metrosexual/androgynous look.

Needs eyeliner. And dark nail polish, for preference.
  14. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

15. Silmarwen

Silmarwen Member

I'm a big fan as long as his body is good. Granted I'm from way north in the states, so guys wear scarves all winter, but I give shiny gold stars (virtual ones, real ones are reserved for call-backs and such :p) to most guys wearing fashion scarves.
  16. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

I like the look, on certain guys, who usually are tall, slender guys. I tend to go for average height, sturdy build, broad shouldered guys. The scarf wouldn't look right (I think their necks are too thick). For me the perfect accompaniment with a plain t-shirt and jeans is a blazer. That is the perfect outfit. Blazer over a t-shirt and dark jeans, nice boots.
  17. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

:p No, thanks.

Scarfs (scarves?) look fine worn with outerwear (see the first picture Larinda posted-bonus points for a quality jacket and having the style to carry off the cloth cap), but if I saw someone wearing one without there being any need for it as far as weather or temperature goes I'd think they were being a bit pretentious. With a T-shirt? Pretentious and impractical. (And one must always consider the fate of Isadora Duncan...)
  18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I wear scarves around my neck, indoors, year round, for comfort from chill, whether winter or AC-related. Why couldn't a human of the male sex also find comfort and practicality, with zero pretentiousness, in that option...
  19. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Unless you're actually cold, gender is irrelevant. (And if you ARE cold, why are you wearing a t-shirt? If I'm cold I put on long sleeves.) My dad wears a scarf in the house if he's cold, but he wears a warmer shirt first. If you walk around in a t-shirt, of course you're going to be cold. Put on a sweater or turn up the thermostat. I've worn turtlenecks to work on days when it's 80+ out when I know the AC's going to be killer. (Or conversely I wear a t-shirt now when it's 40 out because I'm going to be wearing it under whites in front of a 900-degree oven.)

And please, those pictures are not people wearing them for warmth. (Except maybe the dude with the jacket and hat who's clearly outside.) Goofy styles are goofy, whether they're impractical shoes for women or pointless scarves on men.
  20. pygmalion

I think it all boils down to your fashion sense. This style is not to my taste except for a very particular body type. And it is a comparatively European look, IMHO. But to each his own. *shrug*