What does waltz mean to you?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by opendoor, Jan 22, 2013.

?

What does "waltz" means for you most likely? Please select (several votes possible)!

1. Boston (American Waltz)

23.5%
  2. Slow waltz (English Waltz)

76.5%
  3. Landler (German Waltz)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mazurka (Polish Waltz)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Viennese Waltz

17.6%
  6. Vals Cruzado (Argentine Waltz)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Vals Criollo (Latin-American Waltz)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Valse Musete (French Waltz)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Anything in 3/4 or 6/8 measure

29.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

From my european perspective I found some differences concerning the meaning of the word waltz. So I look forward to your replies.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

when someone says "waltz" with no other qualifier, my assumption is that I am doing a slow waltz...as in American or International (have never had anyone use the term English or Boston)....having said that, I am aware of the many other types of waltzing that exist

3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

So should we change the list?

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

am sure it is fine as it is...just giving my answer :)...I am just one person, with one limited perspective :)

opendoor likes this.
  5. snapdancer

snapdancer Active Member

If someone says "waltz" without a qualifier, I'd assume a slow waltz. Recognizing that it could be a Viennese Waltz. I'm not familiar with the other variations.

6. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

It depends on what world I'm in. If I'm with Tango people, I know they're talking about Vals. If I'm with ballroom people, it's American or International.

7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

im offended at the absence of country waltz as a choice!!!!! LLOLL

kidding

opendoor likes this.
  8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

If it's dance, I'd assume slow/smooth or Viennese. If a general conversation about music, I'd assume the answer about time signatures.

JudeMorrigan likes this.
  9. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Today, with no other qualifier, I would think slow waltz. Before I started dancing and knew the difference, "waltz" was a mixture of slow waltz and Viennese Waltz. Though I agree with DOI - from a music perspective, I'd go with the time signature answer.

10. dancelike

dancelike New Member

In Vietnam, we play Quick & Slow Waltz. Slow Waltz have two styles: French Valse Boston (Cross-step waltz) and English Waltz. Boston was popular several years ago, when dancesport not well-known, and often used for beginner or female who doesn't like closed frame.

Like others, music is the most important, but if I have to choose, English Waltz is my favour.