What does waltz mean to you?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by opendoor, Jan 22, 2013.

What does "waltz" means for you most likely? Please select (several votes possible)!

1. Boston (American Waltz)

2. Slow waltz (English Waltz)

3. Landler (German Waltz)

0 vote(s)
  4. Mazurka (Polish Waltz)

0 vote(s)
  5. Viennese Waltz

6. Vals Cruzado (Argentine Waltz)

0 vote(s)
  7. Vals Criollo (Latin-American Waltz)

0 vote(s)
  8. Valse Musete (French Waltz)

0 vote(s)
  9. Anything in 3/4 or 6/8 measure

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

From my european perspective I found some differences concerning the meaning of the word waltz. So I look forward to your replies.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

when someone says "waltz" with no other qualifier, my assumption is that I am doing a slow waltz...as in American or International (have never had anyone use the term English or Boston)....having said that, I am aware of the many other types of waltzing that exist
  3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

So should we change the list?
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

am sure it is fine as it is...just giving my answer :)...I am just one person, with one limited perspective :)
    opendoor likes this.
  5. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

If someone says "waltz" without a qualifier, I'd assume a slow waltz. Recognizing that it could be a Viennese Waltz. I'm not familiar with the other variations.
  6. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

It depends on what world I'm in. If I'm with Tango people, I know they're talking about Vals. If I'm with ballroom people, it's American or International.
  7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

im offended at the absence of country waltz as a choice!!!!! LLOLL

opendoor likes this.
  8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

If it's dance, I'd assume slow/smooth or Viennese. If a general conversation about music, I'd assume the answer about time signatures.
    JudeMorrigan likes this.
  9. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Today, with no other qualifier, I would think slow waltz. Before I started dancing and knew the difference, "waltz" was a mixture of slow waltz and Viennese Waltz. Though I agree with DOI - from a music perspective, I'd go with the time signature answer.
  10. dancelike

dancelike New Member

In Vietnam, we play Quick & Slow Waltz. Slow Waltz have two styles: French Valse Boston (Cross-step waltz) and English Waltz. Boston was popular several years ago, when dancesport not well-known, and often used for beginner or female who doesn't like closed frame.

Like others, music is the most important, but if I have to choose, English Waltz is my favour.