What happened to business hours??

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Larinda McRaven, Sep 1, 2013.

1. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

This one almost caused me to choke on my coffee....and not in a funny-ha-ha kind of way. Whoa.

2. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I work in software. I don't agree with this in general; though I have seen some of my colleagues *make* it true for themselves.

3. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

"Explain yourself"??? Wow.

Now I admit that I do not work in the service industry but the only two people, outside of family members, that I respond to immediately are my exec because his is a thankless job and I try to do whatever I can to make his job easier and my boss. Everyone else waits until I'm 'at work.' And I expect everyone else to treat my messages the same way.

I also admit that I may text or email someone outside of business hours but that's normally because the subject is on my mind and I'll forget if I don't communicate it right then. But I don't expect a response until the next business day, whenever that is.

"Explain yourself"? I still can't get over this.

4. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

And this topic tangentially relates to an earlier whine of mine about people thinking social media like Facebook is an appropriate way to communicate time-sensitive messages like class cancellations, etc. Sorry, but some of us can't access Facebook at work...

5. Smooth Dancer

Smooth Dancer Active Member

Well said. Well said. Well said. That's the new way of doing business in a nutshell. How one deals with it is a conundrum. All I can suggest is that one has to draw one's boundaries then hope the economic downside is bearable!

Bailamosdance likes this.
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I get this all of the time as well...particularly from engaged couples...they can't fit me into their schedules and they resent having the church require it, but I am supposed to be available 24/7...I won't apologize to anyone for that....kids, friends, work associates...I don't have computer access on my phone...I don't answer my land line... ever (okay, rarely but never without screening)...and I regularly turn my cell off because I can't have it on at any of my jobs and because sometimes I simply need to go off the grid....it ticks a lot of people off...oh well...

7. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

I do notice that the more 'connected' I am, the more business I do and get.

Lioness likes this.
  8. fascination

sure...and I think that is a key issue...if you have all of the work and security you need, you have the luxury of disconnecting...if you are needing more work or sense that you are on shakey ground, you had better be connected to your phone from at least 7am to 10pm 7 days a week and respond with 4hours...or be very thorough in explaining your availability where it is essential

9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Yeah, part of the thing is that people have different business or working hours. I often text or email my instructor early in the morning, when I first get to work. I have no expectation that she will respond to it until later in the day, which is fine -- her working hours are later than mine. It's just that if I don't send it when I first get to work, I may not have another opportunity until much later in the day.

FancyFeet and Lioness like this.
  10. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Texting is a little (very little) like the invention of explosives (when used 'the right way', it's brilliant, when abused, potentially catastrophic). Only a second is taken to type, another to send the message, and then it's out of your hair, you've done your part- and they can receive and or respond to it when THEY get the chance, as well. Saves time and the simple discomfort of not wanting to hold a conversation with someone over an actual phone call, when all you want to do is send a message and move on. But when people misuse it, that's the problem, and it's so frustrating that people are increasingly too stupid and discourteous to understand proper cell etiquette and subsequent abuse.

fascination likes this.
  11. fascination

yep...I guess I figure that as well when I attempt to contact someone...that if they don't want a contact at that moment, they won't make themselves available...and I am cool with that as long as more than a week doesn't go by...at that point, barring something major, the courtesy of a brief "am too busy for you" would suffice

Lioness likes this.
  12. fascination

if someone can't manage that, again, absent a major life event, trip overseas, or the whatever, then I am going to make a less than flattering assessment

13. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I'm similar to cornutt...I will text between about 8am and 10pm, and email/facebook any time (to professors, coach, etc.). However, I don't expect a reply immediately, or even the same day. I'll email uni professors in the middle of the night, but don't in any way expect them to get back to me until a day or so has passed.

The erasure of business hours has been a gradual thing, IMO. I watched my local supermarkets move from closing at 5pm to closing at 9pm, to cater for those who work during the day. For any business/shop/service that does not operate to strict 9am-5pm business hours, I'd think there would be some sort of flexibility with answering calls/emails, purely because their clients may not be able to contact them 9-5. If your business is going on after traditional business hours, then IMO those are your new business hours.

As for cancellation announcements via facebook (group lessons and stuff), I think the best thing to do is to pair them with an email/phone call. A lot of people check facebook multiple times per day, and, age depending, that's probably the easiest way to get the news out to most people. Some people can't check FB at work, sure, but a lot of people can. Still, it's not unreasonable to want a call or email if the studio has those contact details.

14. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

A bit of a tangent, but are any of you familiar with people who treat texting like instant messaging, complete with "BRB" and "Okay, later!"? Is this an odd trend, or am I odd for thinking it kind of defeats the purpose of texting barring something requiring an immediate answer?

15. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I think it depends on how long you've been carrying on a text conversation...if you've been texting back and forth for 5 minutes and suddenly don't reply, the person on the other end is probably going to be wondering if you're ok/why you're ignoring them. I consider it polite to offer a quick "driving now, text you later" or similar.

OTOH, if you've only exchanged a couple of texts, then it's not really necessary.

16. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I worked in the email industry for a long time. My first "real" project involved connections between email and SMS.

I'm just saying: The "store and forward" communication paradigm you describe probably pre-dates the invention of explosives...

Hedwaite likes this.
  17. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Ohhhh, yeah. That irks me a lot. I pay a fee per text sent and received. Not a huge fee, but that's not the point. If, for example, I get a text from someone verifying an appointment time:
    "See you tonight at 7?"
    and I text back:
    "Yes, I will be there."
    I do NOT want or need to receive another text with:
    "OK"
    and then another one with:
    "Thanks"
    and another one:
    "See you then"

ARGH!

dancelvr and Hedwaite like this.
  18. TwoRightFeet

TwoRightFeet Active Member

Seems like technology is giving people an excuse for becoming ruder and more inconsiderate. Now I know why I don't do texts or Facebook.

You could try listing an after-hours contact number for emergencies, "911", for example. It seems to work for doctors' offices, and it should provide your clients a fairly rapid response.

19. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

My pro and I do all scheduling and confirmations through text messaging. It provides both parties with a written history on what was arranged and agreed upon. There is no room for miscommunication or bad memory.

Hedwaite likes this.
  20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

People will only take advantage of your electronic availability if you let them.

Hedwaite likes this.