What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

So after every comp I review my performance on the floor and everything related to it and see what I did well, what needed to improve and generally what I learned.

Thought it might be fun to have a thread where people can post what they learned from their latest competitions, whether it be serious, humorous, whatever.

2. I learned that I need to have more stamina !

I was huffing and puffing through my latin events ....

I am going to the gym 3 times a week now and work out on the threadmill !!!

3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hey dgd! My experience this weekend emphasized the same point in my case. It's time to hit the gym!

Also want to develop more of a mindset and skill set so I can contribute more to my pro-am partnership rather than my pro doing all the giving. In the same vein, I need to be more independent on the floor when it comes to dancing with confidence.

Also discovered that I can actually look pretty good when somebody else does my make up. *grin*

ajiboyet likes this.
  4. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

That's an issue for me, too. Standard round drains me. There was a good advice about this in the latest issue of Dancebeat: instead of going on a treadmill at a steady pace for a long time do intervals like this - 1 min 30 sec fast, 30 sec slow. I've been doing this for the last couple of weeks, it seems to be getting easier, will see if this will have any effect on my endurance at the next competition.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

saw the picture and agree

6. fascination

what I learned at my last comp is that I am consistantly horrible straight out of the gate and must mandate myself to get on an elliptical or something before I hit the floor....way too much adrenalin...way too much

7. TAK

TAK Member

Great thread idea!!

My energy seems to drop over time even though, I guess due to the adrenaline, I can't tell it is dropping. My partner says he actually feels tired, but I usually don't--but our marks always decrease over time. Argh. Kind of frustrating.

Also, I need to focus on my feet and legs more in practice. They are sloppy in competition but I don't think that focusing on them in competition is the right way to go--I want to focus on the performance. Need to have strong, precise footwork happen automatically.

8. VM09

VM09 New Member

What I learned at the last comp was that you can't squeeze by with horrible footwork at MIT Open... :doh:
    Or with horrible frame, as a matter of fact. I'm dedicating this summer to making sure that doesn't happen again. At least, not that overtly :sad:

9. VM09

VM09 New Member

On second thought...

Hmm, I really like that smiley.

So, in general, what I learned at my last comp was: :doh::doh::doh:

10. drejenpha

drejenpha Member

I've learned that it's possible to end up severely stuck when floorcraft doesn't happen... got my leg wrapped around the leg of one of the girls on the floor that I wasn't dancing with. Also learned that I need to go back to technique on basics; after seeing people that advanced past me it becomes too obvious that I was focusing more on knowing enough figures to have fun and not run into people.

11. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

seeing all those smileys slapping themselves at the same time is rather interesting....

12. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I learnt that in the future my sister will be doing my hair, not my mum.

I also learnt how to do cuban breaks properly, just by watching other couples doing them very differently.

13. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

One of our judges rarely looks above the knees ;-)

I learned that it's best to have more than one hour's sleep the night before you dance!

14. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

I learned that for me, mental preparation is crucial. Trying to figure out how to do that more effectively. And it's good to watch the video right after the comp, not wait six months to get up the nerve to watch it!

Elece likes this.
  15. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Have to get over the fear of clipboards (yepper - those things the judges hold-maybe because I know a judge is attached to it - tee hee) - I'm not going to look! Found it's much better to go to hotel gym as soon as I wake up or go for a really really long walk/run.

16. TAK

TAK Member

I find that if I watch it right after the comp and notice what needs improving, I can convince myself later on when I watch it that "I've fixed all those problems and I'm way better than that now" (which of course isn't true)...it helps. Haha.

17. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

This is a great thread!! I learned lots of things:

- Black hair dye fades to brown within 2 days :headwall:
    - When push comes to shove, I really CAN count mambo :cool:
    - My partner is really good at putting on false eyelashes for me :wink:

And, most importantly... It's possible to jump back into positive and productive practices the following week, even after an overall frustrating and disappointing comp experience. :banana:

18. fascination

excellent perspective ;)

19. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

I learned to be prepared for anything!

20. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

i haven't competed in a while, but the last time i competed (december), i was also one of the pple in charge of running the comp (I was the show coordinator)and so had 3 hrs of sleep and had spent the entire day running around and dealing with last minute crises... my partner literally came over to me a few minutes before the event, handed me my costume, and we went out there..... IT WAS HORRIBLE!!!!! Such a bad idea!! We somehow made it to the final :confused: so we had to dance 3 rounds of open latin... I remember turning to my partner right before we stepped onto the floor in the final and saying "i feel like I am either going to puke or pass out" and he was like "well at least wait about ten minutes until we are done dancing???" LOL

So lessons learned:
    1. do not compete ever on 3 hrs of sleep (especially since i do not eat at comps bc i lose my appetite....so i need all the stored energy I can get)
    2. energy drinks do not work when you haven't slept or eaten... they are only supposed to give you that "extra jolt".. but when you are already half dead, an "extra jolt" ain't gonna do nuthin
    3. dancing on no sleep or food will make you start dancing your cha cha routine in the middle of samba.... it is not attractive....

And lastly....
    4. never compete at a comp that you are running... there is no way you can focus properly on your event....

we never learn unless we make mistakes i guess!!!