What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Learned from every comp I have attended so far:

Coffee is not a food.
  2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

last comp:

(and I should be the last one to do this lol)
    - Always test your dress before you wear it for the first time at the comp.. as you may end up tripping all over it. And no matter how beautiful it is if you trip every 3 steps you will probably dance like XXX..X>>X>>
  3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

ya' gotta' love some of these comp learnings... LOL!
  4. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

1. Make better note of which figures are NOT allowed, and resist temptation to perform those just because they fit neatly into existing amalgamation

2. What it *feels* like I'm doing and what I'm actually doing are two different things, according to the video.

3. You don't need an alarm clock when you share a hotel room with a waytoomuchenergyandcaffeinehappyhappyjoyjoysuperenthusiastictooexcitedtosleep girl who jumps up-and-down on your bed at 4:30 in the morning.
  5. VM09

VM09 New Member

Wise words, wise words...
    I have only seen one guy do that successfully (dance at the comp he was running), and he was still giving directions at the aloof deck captain (me) while he was in line for dancing. Poor guy...
    ronalds likes this.
  6. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Are you even allowed to compete in a comp you're running?
  7. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

1. Cha-cha is my weakest latin dance. (Ironic, given my username, huh?) It is my weakest dance when I dance with CCP. It is my weakest dance when I dance with Nik. So I'm going back to basics on cha-cha. Worked on locks with Nik last night and I think it helped a lot. I'm going to try to practice what we worked on every day.

2. I need to learn how/when to "spin out" at the end of a dance. I know how to do chainee turns, so I don't think it's the spinning per se that is the problem. But do you always do it? Should I spin across my partner or away from him? If I'm in an awkward position from which to spin when we end, then what? Sometimes I look like I know what I'm doing, but other times, I look stumbly, or like a world-class dork. Just sayin'.

3. I was informed that I need to wear fishnets.

4. Sociologically, I learned that pro-am competitors apparently do not compete in a single digit number of heats, or at the very least, it is quite rare. I competed in 6 pro-am heats: 5 single dances and a scholarship. (I also did 2 am heats.) My heatmates competed in an average of 30 heats.

This is neither a good nor a bad thing, necessarily--just an observation. As I mentioned on another thread, I currently prefer to do slightly more frequent comps, but fewer heats at each, than a large number of heats at only a couple comps. (Lots of comps and lots of heats would be nice, but I'm probably too "financially prudent" to do that.)

5. I smile very widely. But at least I'm having fun!

6. When making a pit stop at a drive-through ATM on the way out of town, I am the kind of person who finds it amusing that there is Braille on the touch pads. I think the Americans with Disabilities Act is a great piece of legislation, but at the risk of sounding small-minded, I'm kind of hoping that the other drivers lined up with me at the drive-through ATM are not blind!
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

re; #2 I have never felt an umambiguious spin-out and they have already marked you so I wouldn't worry too much about that

#3 unless your legs are very dark this is probably true

#4...yep...as i said...one thing pro-ammers learn is to cut on accomodations not on dancing...shrug...and I don't know of many who are travelling a good distance for 8 heats....not many

6....dunno lol...walk-ups maybe?????
  9. tanya_the_dancer

My strategy with the spin-out is this - I treat it as part of the routine done in open position. So, if I am out there and I see that I am about smack some other couple, I adjust accordingly.

Speaking of your other observation, I once saw a guy with guide dog, cane and dark glasses walk into a pet store, buy some pet treats, and then he walked out, got in the driver seat of his car and DROVE OFF. I am hoping he was only training the dog, he wasn't blind for real.
  10. fascination

snort...lol...am same way
  11. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Acorrding to at least one of my pros, EVERYONE needs to wear fishnets. (At least pro-am ladies.) Even his ladies who have legs where they do not need fishnets from a fitness/shapeliness perspective. (I am not one of those. I require no convincing.)
  12. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

I made friends with one of my fellow competitors at my last comp... we both noticed a strange correlation between the girls who were NOT wearing fishnets and those who made the finals. In light of this, we've both decided not to wear fishnets at the next comp and see what happens! :D
  13. tanya_the_dancer

I wear fishnets for latin, but not for smooth or standard.
  14. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

It should be up to your partner to spin you out. If it's not happening, just ask him to do it :) The direction really depends on where you end up in your routine. I had a lesson once just on how to spin out from various places in my routines.

If all else fails, just step away from each other and take a few bold steps toward the audience with your arms stretched out all pretty-like :)
  15. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Get to the ballroom more than 30 minutes before your scheduled heats in case they run WAY early!!!!

Yes, I was one of those this weekend at Emerald for whom they held up a heat because I wasn't in the ballroom yet. Ran out onto the floor and danced with no warm-up and, according to my pro, a 'deer in the headlights' look on my face. Funnily enough, made the finals.
  16. fascination

and yet one of them has a lady I have never seen in them...shrug...but I too ascribe to the notion that if you are in doubt you should wear them...mercifully mine is a pro who doesn't care though FP insisted on it...now, b/c I sweat alot and I have very dark legs, I go without
  17. fascination

I don't see many pros in them that is for sure....
  18. ChaChaMama

See, I think WHY this is weird for me is that I am coming over from--and am still in--the am world.

Almost no one in the am world would enter 30 events. In fact, you'd have to have a pretty special set of circumstances for this even to be possible.

Even if you entered in all four styles, in two ability levels, and in two age levels, that would give you 16 events. Add Masters of Syllabus and that gives you a couple more. You could probably reach 30 if you really put your mind to it, but it would be hard. And I don't know that I know anyone past college age who tries to do all four styles, and college-age people can only do one age group.

Amateur dancers also have to pay for their own personal accommodations: hotel, meals, transportation. (Sometimes those accommodations are cheaper than for pro-am comps, but not always.) The only difference is that ams don't have to pay for a pro-am teacher. I could see an argument for this making the pro-am student want to do MORE events (the "If I'm paying my share of teacher's hotel/meals/transportation anyway" argument) or FEWER events (if student is paying per event).

I really think the biggest difference is sociological. There are folkways to the am world, and folkways to the pro-am world. The number of events entered is only the tip of the iceberg.

Just to be clear, I *love* and hope to continue to participate in both worlds.
  19. fascination

I am certain that your suspicions are correct...there are many nuances....and that's not just my BA in sociology rearing up...
  20. ChaChaMama

I have toned legs (thank you, running) and they will be tan in the summer, but not in mid-April during an unusually cold spring.

Okay, okay, I confess: I am a hold out against the fake tan thing! That's very naughty, isn't it?