What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

:hug:

2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

:( ....> :)

3. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Yayyy! :bouncy:

4. famfam

famfam Member

i learned (not actually last comp), that when double registering, one should remember what level he is currently dancing. Dancing silver moves in bronze, not good (actually wasn't called out for it, and didn't make any difference, but still)

5. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF FamFam, agreed, having been called out - when pro forgot which level we were in, once. Never happened again.

6. 3wishes

soooo, thinkin about it.
    Note to self: - upon returning to Rhythm, my heel protectors STILL, after all these years, find that gap in the floor seam to get stuck in during a spin turn. geeeezzzz (first dance of day).
    When heel gets caught in back of dress during swing - just keep smiling! and pretend it doesn't bug the jeepers out of you.
    I have the ability to bring another competitor man to his knees, literally, with a mambo arm swing movement (don't go there!just visualize and yes it happened) when not realizing he is right behind me. Good Lord.
    Poor thing. sighhhhhh.

7. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I, too, had my heel caught in back of dress during jive! I'm going to have to figure out how to avoid that... maybe lifting hem of skirt up when we start routine.

8. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Yulia Zagoruychenko has caught her heel in her dress once (maybe more) before. So it's not such a bad thing...

9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yep...i have one skirt where, in jive, there is a greater than 30% likelihood that I will be extracting my heel from the hemline

10. Griffico

Griffico Member

Something I relearn every once in a while... You don't necessarily have to get 1st place every time to feel good about how you did :)

11. Yana

Yana Member

So true!!!

I learned that I dance better under pressure and that even though I still mess up, I recover quite well!

12. Andbersh

Andbersh New Member

I see a lot of posts from experienced people, and you guys help so much! I have not been on here for a while, so I have a few comps to make up for.

If you do not have a costume and are wearing a dress shirt in latin, make sure it is not too tight! If you stretch your back enough the pins will pop open, and your partner might get caught on it during rope spin.

If you are dancing in the morning, get your breakfast the night before at away comps, the diner a block away may take an hour to make your grilled chicken sandwich. (food is made slower the further south you go)

Dancing a level higher than you think you are may surprise you, though do not expect anything. Sometimes different things are looked at in different levels.

Even if you aren't comfortable with the technique, drill the routines and presentation the week before the comp!

Run Rounds!

Make sure your routines are within your syllabus... had to change routine at NATIONALS!

These were the most recent lessons, hope i remember them!

13. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

@Andbersh Wow...Those are tough lessons to learn!

14. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Finding the gym at the hotel, and warming up completely with 20 mins on the treadmill before heats makes all the difference.

You don't have to be a size 2 chica to win. ;-)

15. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

YEAH!!!!! :cheers:

16. 3wishes

Yea Dancelvr, good for you! I always find an elliptical or threadmill or best yet a stationary bike - and do at least 20-30 minutes then 10 minutes of stretching early in the morning, before any ballroom anything. And I'm definately not a size 2 chica.(good to know someone else thinks like me and learns the same things)!!! hugs.

17. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

That life goes on. Even though the heats did not go that well, it was fun afterwards to leave the hotel and go sight-seeing and enjoy one of the greatest cities in the world. Those are the lovely memories that remain...

18. musicbrain

musicbrain Member

I learned that it is NOT the best time to do my nails the morning of the comp, in a moving vehicle, at 7am when it's still dark outside. (They still looked pretty good from far away, though...thank goodness!)

Also that I really REALLY need to fix my latin. I make funny faces. And weird shoulder lines. And awkwardly bent legs. And occasionally look like I'm doing a potty dance.

Photos are very unforgiving.

I also discovered that packing is so much faster when I have a permanent "kit" with things like band-aids, safety pins, lint roller, and crazy glue. And that I perform much better when I've eaten something.

And I need to buy a new brand of eyelash glue...had to re-glue no less than 5 times through the afternoon.

19. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

That dancing only two styles as opposed to all four makes you, in general, a much happier and less irritable / exhausted person.

20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

good lessons ....welcome to df