What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF Musicbrain,,,great lessons learned. Many of us can attest to the "kit" factor.

2. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

Agreed!

The best lesson I learned was to work hard because people who work hard dance better, and don't have to be up at the crack of dawn on a Saturday dancing pre-bronze Smooth in sub-zero Binghamton, NY.

3. DancinProf

DancinProf Member

To just cough up the appalling sum and stay at the comp hotel, because the convenience is worth it. Otherwise, all free time is spent shuttling between 2 locations. I have supposedly "learned" this lesson about 4 times now but somehow it hasn't stuck. (>_<)

4. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I agree! I stay at the comp hotel.... even when the comp is in the city I live in!

5. 3wishes

I've learned that when I do not order a DVD - I actually dance better.
    Just because my DH says that my phone has coverage everywhere does not mean it is actually going to send and receive inside a hotel-therefore missing crucial msgs.
    Carve out time - to get out of hotel - seems *******ing to my mental ability to dance better.
    And do not assume, that just because there are multiple shoe vendors - my shoes will actually available for purchase - Drat.grouse.
    That I can actually surprise myself by executing what my pro has been drilling me on previous to a competition! And what a nice surprise that can be.

6. 3wishes

hey....**********ing is the word *******ing.

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I am finally able to stand in the truth of what is good about my dancing, regardless of what else needs to happen

i can finally dance in a relaxed and responsive way and have it serve me well without losing the intensity and performance...letting it be more nuanced

you can teach an old dog new tricks

watching high level dancing is critical to becoming a high level dancer....

8. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

BE ready an hour ahead of time... running to the line up still putting on jewelry does not make for relaxed beautiful dancing.

9. kckc

kckc Active Member

I love this! Sounds like everything came together for you :) In honor of your first point...

I had an experience with an instructor social dancing this weekend, someone I've known for a while but haven't had much of an opportunity to dance with. I finally got that chance and he told me how impressed he was at how well I was feeling the music, and also at following him at higher level waltz moves than I have been doing. So much more to learn, but I can at least acknowledge he was right without putting myself down about something else that I perhaps sucked at. I mean something else yet to be perfected :)

10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I learned that even when I am not dancing I enjoy all things about competition... meeting fabulous people at OSB, exchanging thoughts and ideas, sharing meals with team members, shopping ( and buying) a beautiful new dress, and taking in the amazing pro shows. Before when I went to a dance comp, my focus was purely on my heats, but this time I was able to absorb and enjoy so many aspects of being at a competition, including dancing, and it was all fabulous.

11. fascination

I have learned/confirmed which panels are the kiss of death for me...consistantly over the course of many years regardless of how I dance...it's actually a helpful thing...enough said :)

12. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

that, as much as I'd like to be able to sit with my pros and friends between rounds at a comp, it destroys my focus. *sigh* I'm doomed to be unsocial until I'm finished dancing....

I can hold a performance focus as long as I'm comfortable with the material, all bets are off otherwise....

I need to practice in traffic more....

13. fascination

practice in traffic more is a huge biggie for me....totally threw me in rising star...had traffic at usdc but nothing like ohio

14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Yes, what's up with all the traffic? In latin and rhythm no less! Do some pros just not know how to navigate, because I know my pro does an excellent job keeping us free of collisions and then all of a sudden up comes a couple smack into us!

15. fascination

my pro as well is very good at it but we got gobsmacked alot

16. latingal

yep, you should see the bruises I sometimes end up with from quarters and semis....

once my pro looked at a huge purple bruise that developed on one of my legs after I got gobsmacked by another couple running in to us:

him: "what happened there"?
    me: "well we got run in to in the semis".
    him: "did you get their number?"
    me: *shakes head - confused*
    him: *devilish grin* "cause you know it's not nice to receive without giving"

LOL!

17. fascination

we have me getting tripped at least twice on the current dvd...fortunately, anyone who hits me usually ends up worse off than I do :)

18. latingal

....that if you are using toupee tape to tape your dress to stay put, use a much larger piece than you think is necessary, and it doesn't have to be as close to the edge of the fabric that you might think!!

works like a charm...

19. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

... that even a 30 second routine put together before heat 1 can still get you on the podium, if it's danced well... thank goodness for amazing partners!

oh, and noone ever seems to be taking pictures or videos when you're dancing well, only when you look like a wavy arm man.

cabbagefairy likes this.
  20. 3wishes

That my pro continues to get excited for me when I receive high marks, which I never really expect I'm just satisified if I
    can remember what to execute - and has drilled me about gracefully accepting the results of hard work - although the peck on face and hug squeeze through his own happiness mimics my chiropractor.