What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I've learned that looking at the recall board while in the middle of dancing a round is a bad idea.

Oh, and changing your routines the day before for a style you are not totally comfortable with is not a very good idea.
  2. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

I didn't actually compete in the last comp, but I did get confirmation that my current pro is a really bloody good teacher. His new student - my main competition - looks like a completely different (better) dancer on the floor after just 6 months. So I learned I need to pick up my game a bit even more!
  3. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

- My Latin remains a serious work in progress. This is not entirely shocking, but it's still rather frustrating.

- A big part of what I need to work on is bring the attitude to the dances. This is particularly significant in my latin (again, not surprising, I'm a gawk-ish scientist type), but is true of my standard as well. My instructor's pro-partner told me that I had a "non-face" on during my standard. I'm thinking I may need to think about doing a showcase piece with my instructor. We've talked about it in the past, but as something that would be fun. It's ultimately boiled down to with my having limited resources, it made more sense to focus on lessons for the competitions. A showcase piece WAY outside my comfort zone specifically to work on my theatricallity may make sense though.

- I really do need to get into better shape. The good news is that that shape really isn't "skinnier", but it's still going to take a good bit of work. I actually started this this morning (the Monday after my comp weekend), which may be contributing to my post-comp disorder.

- Posture, posture, posture. Wait, that's not something I learned as *this* comp. That's been my nemesis for ages now. (Again, not surprising. I'm a *tall*, gawk-ish scientist type who spends his time hunched over a computer.)

- Something positive: my waltz really has improved dramatically. I was surprised to see after my last, last comp that the judges were pretty consistent in judging that my worst dance. I got some of my better marks in it this comp, which was nice, as I do lurve me some waltz.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

hang in there Jude...IME< the hard knock's from the previous comp are always the fuel for the progress that will be made before the next comp
  5. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

1. I learned it is a really bad idea for me to compete in a style where I have no lead/follow skills. This may seem like a "duh" moment to most of you, but I did not know that lead/follow abilities were what I was lacking. So it was good to learn that about myself.

2. On this same token though, I learned the world will keep spinning if I don't dance well at a comp. This is also good to know.

3. I learned that my results seemed directly proportional to how much fun I was having on the dance floor. This I found interesting.

4. I learned that comp videos are good for showing me that the things I felt great about were just ok and the things that felt disasterous were really only minor missteps here and there and not nearly as huge as they felt at the time.

5. I learned that I was consistenly marked highest in VW. This was a strange factoid indeed.
  6. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Can I go a bit off topic here? I do learn something from every competition but really it is the month previous to the competition that I learn the most about myself..... I change, as days go on a confidence comes to me, this mental process begins and I begin to see it, ummm this vision comes in my head of what it will feel like, be like, look like ect.... I am not afraid, nervous, I am excited.

I cant reproduce this feeling any other time then one month prior to competition...
    So I always end up when the comp is over learning something, things I might want to change but never as great as who I became prior to....

It has not always been this way. The coolest thing my pro told me at last competition was that he could feel as soon as I walked into the ballroom I was ready, he saw it in my face and in my body and my attitude...

Thats what is cool about competition to me, discovering parts of me I did not know were there all along, just hiding somewhere I guess and this permission if you will, to say I am OK, to feel good about me wherever the placement may land. Sometimes there is a bit of disappointment of how we placed but usually there is not. Dancing well and feeling the freedom in movement is enough for me. Watching videos is a whole other story....

Hope no one minds I expanded this thought to just not what you learned after a comp, but what you learn before a comp. Geez, can you tell I am now a month away from a competition???
  7. ViviDancer

ViviDancer Member

I learnt from my last two competitions (they were one after the other) that my stamina has improved tremendously. I used to be huffing and puffing after 2 dances in a row, but I have no problems with more than that in 2 competitions!

But yes, I still need to work on my stamina and strength as well as able to maintain a proper frame even when exhausted. And I think I've improved a lot since the same competition half a year ago!

Oh and the biggest learning point? NEVER compete in a venue with NO aircon. You'll just die, especially with a tailcoat. (PS. the temperature here is usually around 31 degrees Celsius, you do the math xP)
  8. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I learned lots.
    1) A rhinestone stuck into the bottom of shoe can make you "ice skate" when you least expect it.
    2) A crowded floor - make friends fast and smile lots - cause impact hits happen.
    3) If pro suddenly has a brain bubble idea to get out of trapped traffic and I follow his lead...just laugh when he says "well it was the end of the music anyways."
    4) I really need to put on my glasses when reading text msgs from pro about
    what time to meet/where.
    5) Stop looking at the taller, model on the magazine cover ladies in your round and just dance.
    6) Running, unexpectedly into people you know, always happens in the elevator.
    7) Just because the entry says "single dance" entry...does not mean you'll dance the set of 4 and sit down for 15 minutes like the heat list indicates - that WAS a shocker - Just because you THINK your only dancing 12 singles...and it turns out to be 24 due to recalls - don't be surprised anymore by anything...just go with it.
    and THANK GOD for those blister band-aids I put on my feet before I even got to the ballroom. YES!
  9. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

I love this one, especially. Congrats again on all your success!
  10. JANATHOME

Learned 2 things this comp.
    This time my single dances had at least 6 in heat. Now I know what it means to "place" in a heat. Never knew they only call the first 3 highest scores... I said to pro I thought there were more than 3 in our heats and he explained to me how it works... They dont do this in AM/AM. Horray, I "placed" in all.

Also learned to pay more attention to how long I will be in ballroom. Went all day without eating because was no time to get food... By the last heat I felt dizzy, not good. Next time bring something to eat in between heats. It had a definite impact on my dancing towards the end.
  11. 3wishes

Congrats Janathome on your success in singles! And yes, always always, bring nutrition and hydration items to the ballroom. Regardless of "how minimal time wise" you think your dancing. Happy Dancing!
  12. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Right after the competition I had thought, "Well at least I tried silver latin... Now I know I'm sooooo not ready for it" (after receiving no callbacks, not that was expected at all). After seeing the marks, "maybe I am more ready than I thought" :D We only missed call backs by 2 marks!
  13. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

1) Must learn to be able to style my own hair. Counting on someone else to do this adds too much stress for me.

2) Don't try to give yourself a french manicure the night before, especially when you've never given yourself one before (good thing judges were far away and couldn't inspect the detail.)

3) Be thankful you read/studied this thread beforehand, particularly suggestions like:
    - Re-framing and re-focusing on the fly, my new favorite skill, from j_alexandra
    - Always dance from a transcendent space...it shows, from fascination

I think point number 3 helped me at my very first comp to place 1sts in all my 34 heats and win my very first scholarships: the 6-dance & the American Smooth! I'm still floating....
  14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

congrats....
  15. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

That I never should expect results but just be happy with what I do get.
  16. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

1) Congrats!

2) thanks for reminding me of what I wrote. I compete so seldom, I had forgotten these lessons. And I have a comp on the horizon, so the reminder was timely

3) Congrats again -- enjoy the floating sensation!
  17. JANATHOME

Yippie, Little Mouse!!

I am so glad your first competition was so joyful for you....
    As to the floating thing, it can last for weeks on end and I see no good reason to not to re-live that moment in time awesome feeling over and over again!!
  18. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Woohoo, little_mouse. That is fantastic!!
  19. 3wishes

Congrats Little Mouse! Well done.
  20. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

Thank you for the well wishes!

Another thing I learned, if you are having alterations done to your dresses, might as well have the seamstress put in snaps at the bodice. It sure would make going to the bathroom much easier, especially if you have to sprint to the ladies room between some of your heats!