What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

One caveat: use the super-strong, hard-to-undo kind of snaps. And safety-pin it. Because it's REALLY ANNOYING when it comes unsnapped while you're dancing.

smidra86 likes this.
  2. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

Thanks for the suggestion! I guess that would get very uncomfortable.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

do not use a safety pin...don't...take my word for this...but do use the strong snaps....

4. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

I used safety pins to attach my shirt to my latin trousers once, and only once. :D Didn't think that through fully. Spent the jive getting attacked with every bounce when one of the clasps popped open. At least it looked energetic... :p So be wary of safety pins with violent tendencies! :)

5. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

this happened to me once a long time ago and it was awful!!! I could not get the snaps to stay closed for longer than a heat. in between heats, i had no choice but to safety pin it, out of fear my skirt would fly up and expose me (i normally go commando in my costumes and this was a latin dress). but i was petrified the whole time that i would get hurt - awful experience. I got rid of that costume right away.

I prefer to just deal with the hassle of getting undressed for the bathroom.

6. stash

stash Well-Known Member

That having fun on the floor shows and really does impact results

7. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

What I learned - To check a dress from ALL sides when trying it on before a competition! I lost some weight - smooth dress looked nice from the front, terrible from the side and back. This resulted in a mad dash to rent a dress at the last minute. Wow, those Randall dresses feel nice compared to my eBay special :)

But fun was had. Wish I could have danced more heats!

8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

During intermediate silver heats... I suddenly had the worse bilat calf spasms to the point where I could barely hold myself up, and made it through the heat, but had to limp off the floor.... I had warmed up and stretched, so now I am thinking more fluids and electrolytes and perhaps too much tension when working the legs in Latin. Luckily after an hour of water, walking and stretching I completed the comp and actually liked my dancing!

fascination likes this.
  9. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I felt like this was the best dancing I produced since last year's St. Louis Starball. I feel a lot more comfortable with open smooth and standard.

j_alexandra and debmc like this.
  10. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Doing things wrong will eventually come back to hurt you... literally.

11. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Ouch. Hope it's nothing serious.

As for me, I'm just relearning the lesson I seem to need to relearn after every comp. The combination of extremely long days and adrenaline are exhausting. I need to figure out how much time I'll need to recover from the comp and then add at least one extra full day off.

12. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

There are some disadvantages that you can't overcome, but you can certainly try!

13. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

don't ever let your boyfriend fasten your costume for you. inevitably, it will come undone haha!! (it's especially at risk during v waltz)

slhull.13, latingal and dlliba10 like this.
  14. LittleLil

LittleLil New Member

The best offense is a good defense, aka. floor craft should be practiced everyday by every dancer, because no matter what level you dance you are probably go to crash, especially open quickstep.

ajiboyet likes this.
  15. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF 5678dance and LittleLil!

16. fascination

I learned to take the time to appreciate the good and kind people who make an effort to compliment and support me...I learned, once again, that it is always a mistake to stay off site.

17. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

I learned dancing on the proper competition floor at the Empress Ballroom at the Wintergardens feels pretty darn good. It may just have been an intervarsity competition, but the atmosphere was still incredible. I think uncontrollable chuckles of glee are a new symptom of post competition disorder.

ajiboyet and danceronice like this.
  18. danceronice

Some judging panels seem to have no idea what to do with me. It works out badly for me in terms of placing, but at least the marks are more "confused" than consistently bad. ("Bad" tends to come from female judges, especially those of Eastern European extraction. Good tends to come from male judges, especially American/Commonwealth. I have no idea what this means, but I obsess over trends. Sociology classes were good for SOMETHING.)

Sania likes this.
  19. fascination

I find most of my judging to make sense and be consistent...for me, ahem, when it isn't, it seems to be more about my pro's relationships, for better and for worse...shrug...since I ave no control over that, I have to focus on improving my dancing for the one's who are evaluating that alone

20. danceronice

I honestly don't think current pro has political pull one way or another (I know I'm used to getting 'help'; heck, I know I got a carryover assist there in the fall when one judge recognized me from Boston); if anything his ex coaches are pickier about his dancers if they happen to be on the panel. But I know to dread a majority-female panel. Honestly, at this point I'm starting to think it's a good part aesthetics as I know I have better footwork than a lot of people beating me, arm styling is good and on time, hands are better, knees are fine in Rhythm. But shy of throwing up everything I eat, I won't get the Latin-girl look the Russians et al like, so the best I can hope for is avoiding those judges. And age out into Bs (one more year.)

And avoid that one comp as we don't otherwise run into most of them. Even NP has no idea what more they want, though he said at least they're mixed marks on Rhythm. Results there have just been consistently worse than other events. I'm a little tired of knowing I danced well and not getting anything for it. This is too expensive to do for the warm fuzzies.