What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well truth be told I have several trends in terms of judges, but I am not going to share them here...but I have a pretty good idea of how well I am going to have to dance when certain combinations happen...as I dance enough that there is a consistency in what I see...I know when I am in for it...and when a blessing has occurred....

2. Janson

Janson Active Member

It is pretty awesome isn't it? The floor is a lot, lot bigger than what I'm used to - but it was a great day! The masses of Universities contributes to the atmosphere heaps, I can't imagine many open competitions having the level of rivalry between such masses of people.

3. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Oh, lord, yes to this. In my case, is was exacerbated by it being an am-am comp. There were scheduling disagreements such as when to warm-up and how long to stay for the evening sessions and the like that would have been a whole lot easier to manage had we not been tied together due to transportation necessities. It is, presumably, a bit different for partners who are in a relationship, but it was a real negative for us.

Speaking of which, no matter how tempting it is, I learned what a bad idea side excursions are, particularly before the comp. Before my last comp, my partner talked me into taking a side-trip to New York on the way up. And we spent a lovely day there, traipsing up and down the city. But between that, the loooooong hours in the car travelling, and the natural stress of the comp, the remarkable thing would have been had we NOT gotten snippy with each other by Sunday. Don't get me wrong, I think things are ok between us now, but we really set ourselves up for failure there.

On a related, but much lighter note: lessons re-learned:

If I set myself up the wrong way at the start of a dance, I need to stop, reset myself and then begin. There will presumably be a time when I'll be able to just make it work, but for now, trying to force it is a good way to stumble and then need to stop and reset myself anyways. Stupid DC-starting foxtrot.

No matter how much I might think that a song is about to end, do NOT start to turn my partner out until the song actually ends. I was pleased with how smoothly I picked her back up and kept going, but boy did I feel silly.

But don't sweat the small stuff. I comfortably made it through the rounds where both the aforementioned brain farts happened. In retrospect, that totally makes sense for the earlier rounds. I remember commenting to my partner that it was a shame we had done such a terrible job starting our foxtrot as I'd felt like once we actually got going, it was one of the better ones we'd danced. For recalls, the former part should be easy enough to fix to focus on the latter.

4. fascination

yep...I never do anything social til the dancing is done...it has bitten me in the butt way too many times

5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

if you dont do it for anything but scores you telescope to this scenario.. ( pro am)

nameless person: "grats danceronice for finishing (third fill in placement here) in open A rhytym
    you: " no biggie i beat everyone i always beat and everyone who always beats me beat me again"
    nameless person: but you medaled isnt that great
    you: " but i cant seem to ever beat (2nd place girl)..

you get my point it is infrequent at the higher levels that you will have someone you are trading placements with and are "hotly contested"
    usually you will battle them and quickly surpass them/or not. then its a new set point

in lower levels and large comps making the next round is a good measure but then again the

"im better than her why did she beat me" kicks in ( channeling the mrs in pro am here) LOL

if it was all about the scores i would have quit competing pro/am long ago ( as men seem to have it tough)

Bailamosdance likes this.
  6. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Need to get more than 5 hours of sleep for each of the 4 nights preceding a comp if I want to have any energy day of.

7. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

Agreed. I've only done two comps so far, and my instructor is young and early in his career. I was rather disappointed (to put it mildly) at the last comp to see everyone else dancing figures that our coach / studio owner had told us weren't allowed in Bronze. I think we both learnt to do a bit more independent fact-checking. Hubby won't continue to foot the bills if I come home ticked like that again.

danceronice likes this.
  8. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

when the deck captain says "RUN OUT THERE TO HIM" she means it even in the middle of the first dance of a multidance when he is dancing with the wrong lady, not that i need that kind of attention on the floor.
    That i can surprise myself and actually not worry about my dancing and quickly avoid the hits, bangs, bumps, collisions and yet sometimes duck quick enough to avoid a massive collide whilemthe judge with back turned takes the hit, and it was big!
    that gooey cheesecake at the end of the night....is.....perfect.

j_alexandra and SwayWithMe like this.
  9. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

That I need to tell fewer people I will do their hair so I can actually sleep at some point. And eat more food. Always need to eat more food.

10. MissSongbird

MissSongbird Member

I learned anything and everything can go wrong. Don't sweat it. Everything will be okay. It's not worth the worry.

Gorme, j_alexandra and latingal like this.
  11. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

I learnt to set some reasonable, attainable goals so that I don't go home disappointed.

I learnt that stupid party tricks like sliding onto the floor after the music starts, or dancing "someone else's Foxtrot" (as my friend put it) can be hilarious.

I learnt that I LOVE competing in Quickstep!!! :D

latingal and 3wishes like this.
  12. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

That the smiles of people watching us and enjoying what we were creating is a rewarding way of gauging development.

13. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

1. there many pros that have no idea about floor craft - this is from me watching pro-am Gold for few hours
    2. If it feels good, we may fell into old habits, and if it feels terrible, it actually may be a much better performance that what it feels

3wishes and j_alexandra like this.
  14. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Letting out a partner to partner pro/am scream, when viewing a BIG elbow coming at the bridge of my nose, in Tango - from another Pro who is in pivots,,,can save me!, Scream, Duck, move....only for well known judge, to take it to the back of the head while judging the opposite floor, on a split floor, in finals. Sorry, I don't do obvious injuries for anyone. And it was a big ol' whack! whew. There are times, ducking/moving...is a really good thing!

15. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

If I can have the same consistency on the comp floor as on the practice floor, I call that a win, regardless of actual placement.

dancelvr, SwayWithMe and Mr 4 styles like this.
  16. fascination

last comp, I learned...or re-learned ......never ever ever stay off site again...ever....stop it....it blows your dancing...don't

jiwinco likes this.
  17. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I've done a few small comps where the venue wasn't a hotel. It's a pain.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  18. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

That a small comp with a friendly dance community is waaaaay fun to dance at. I really enjoyed the hosting dance community, they all seemed to go out of their way to make people traveling in to the area feel welcomed.

19. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Switching from old broken-in shoes for one style/routine to a newish pair of another style for a later event is...not fun. (I don't think the VeryFine shoes are going to work. I'll wear them until they break down but I'm going back to Supadance after that. "Wide" just means almost nothing in dance shoes. I'm also going to try rubbing alcohol-I don't really care whether is stains the satin and it broke pointe shoes down almost instantly.)

20. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

do you put rubbing alcohol inside of the shoe or on the outside? I need to break new pair of white shoes, the last one got comfy by the time it could not be worn to competitions as it got so dirty after 3 first comps