What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

With pointe shoes you just pour it on (water can work too). With my dance shoes I'm going to try on the INSIDE to try and avoid satin staining if I can, but they're so thin (straps) I don't know if it would make much difference.
  2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

I've heard it done both ways, but I've had the most success with soaking a cotton ball or pad in rubbing alcohol, placing it on my foot in the spots where the shoe is tight, and putting the foot + cotton ball in the shoe. Then I just hang out in my shoes until the cotton ball dries. It softens up the fabric/glue, and waiting until it dries with the cotton ball in place seems to result in the shoe being just a little looser in that too-tight spot.

Then I just beat up the sole a little bit (wiggle back and forth, etc.) and wear a few times for lessons/practice - increasing the time with each wear - and voila, broken in.
  3. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Last comp was Blackpool, learned a lesson that when in doubt, do not use the poor quality iron in Blackpool flat!!! Was so crazy, on Sunday night before my Pro RS event, I burned a hole on one of the floats of the dress I intended to wear:( was ridiculous, the terrible iron provided in flat had no indication of what type of fabric-not like in US, iron always has level indication of cotton, silk or Synthetic, in England (at least in Blackpool), none:-(((( only a circle of indicating minimum to maximum, I heated up for like 10 min while indicator was between minimum and maximum, the iron not warm enough, almost no response, so I thought was a weak iron, so I turned it up to maximum, then bang, got too hot all the sudden, and burned a hole in my satin chiffon floats:(

Maybe for comps with very basic accommodations, I should bring skirt made of tulle or organza which do not wrinkle! Or I should prepare and bring my own portable steamer (but this will be extra weight in my luggage), so I don't have to run around in vendor area like crazy begging vendors to lend me their steamer for my satin chiffon floats !!

As a matter of facts, tulle and organza skirts so much in fashion this year in Blackpool, all designers sold out tulle and organza dresses fast, not sure if it is related to the non-wrinkle nature of fabric.

I'm gonna to log on to amazon shopping for a personal portable steamer! So so afraid of ironing now!
  4. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

... and I have now added my portable steamer to my list of things to bring to competitions.

Sorry to hear about that experience!
  5. Janson

Janson Active Member

That I'm definitely better at Latin than Ballroom, and I can actually Samba...
    ajiboyet likes this.
  6. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I'll still take a portable steamer over a tulle skirt *w*.

That's crappy that happened to you, but i'm sure a few of us would like to thank you for sharing this experience (possibly saving us in the future from a similar situation!).
    Lioness and latingal like this.
  7. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

I had the most amazing learning experience at the comp this weekend. Many of you have read "The Mental Athlete" which talks about how we all have 'limiting beliefs' that don't allow us to perform at our maximum. My limiting belief has been that I should never be flamboyant (I am in a profession where cool, calm, and collected personalities are favored.) However, at this past comp I decided to let the beast out of the cage and just put it all out there, trying to make the judges make a choice (either they like it or they don't, but at least they'll notice.) And guess what? I had more fun and scored higher than I ever have. And the very best part was all the folks who came up to me afterward (including some of the judges) to tell me how much they enjoyed watching me dance. Who would have thought it???
    Dean, novemberecho, ajiboyet and 4 others like this.
  8. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Be very careful of getting one's hair cut the day before the competition. I had a devilish time getting the hair at the back of my head to behave this last competition. It simply did not want to lay down and I wound up dancing my morning heats with very odd spikes at the back of my head.

I more or less tamed it for the evening dances, but doing so required copious amounts of vaseline. That was less than completely pleasant.
  9. shava

shava Member

That while my performance is improving I still need alot of work on musicality and tone
  10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lol...learned something I meant to write here...then I forgot it :rolleyes:
    j_alexandra likes this.
  11. kckc

kckc Active Member

LOL

I've been contemplating getting a trim this week but with comp next week, I fear exactly what happened to you! Though I guess one could just go the "yeah, I meant it to look this way" route also.
  12. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

I always leave my hair longer for a comp

gives me something to style:D
  13. snapdancer

snapdancer Active Member

So do you divide your hair into 4 parts and style each one differently?;)
    ajiboyet, SwayWithMe, Ailuene and 3 others like this.
  14. Mr 4 styles

HAHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AWESOME if I could double like you for that I would!!!
  15. Mr 4 styles

[​IMG]

YUP:D
    Ailuene likes this.
  16. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

ALWAYS bring an extra pair of dance shoes. I snapped a heel off in my first Foxtrot round, and would have been out of luck if I hadn't thought to bring my practice shoes along in my dance bag. Oy!
    Miss Silly and latingal like this.
  17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I did have a show break as well....but that is my third time at a comp for that so I always have a spare
  18. I learned not to decide that someone who looks fabulous earlier in the day will definitely beat you later in the evening. I had already decided my placing before I danced and I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong however I now wonder how much better I could have done if I hadnt already defeated myself in my head before I stepped onto the floor
  19. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Well, at least your hair had high shine?? ;-P
  20. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

What was particularly vexsome was that what I really needed was some pomade. After reading your post about you and your partner experimenting with it, I actually bought a can of the stuff. And proceded to take it out of my bag before I left for this particular competition.

So lesson learned for the umpteenth time: whatever it is you decide that you won't need for a competition and decide to lighten your load by leaving it home will be exactly what you wind up needing at the competition. ;-)