What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I don't fake tan either....and while I understood FP's point...I am exceedingly glad that not of current pro's students wear hose...and it isn't seeming to hurt them...shrug...but they tan as well...

2. fascination

ahem, and if that is as naughty as you get...well...I think you're fine

3. TAK

TAK Member

Well done!!

I wasn't at Emerald but at my last comp I had a tight costume change. According to our coach the semifinal (right after the change) was the best round we have ever danced in competition, and the final was not so good. It felt pretty chaotic to me...maybe the nerves helped? At any rate, definitely not something to try to repeat... :headwall:

4. fascination

we had a late arrival to a scholarship in hotlanta a few years ago...we definately did not rise to the occasion

5. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Quite naughty. Just pretend you don't have a choice. You wouldn't go out on the floor without makeup on your face. Same thing :)

I'm naturally about the color of sour cream and personally, I love getting fake tan. It makes me feel skinny and sexy... and irritates my boyfriend to no end because I won't stop looking at myself in the mirror! That alone is worth it :)

6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Us poor guys always gettin gpicked on. :p

7. fascination

I tan becasue fat looks better brown, and hides the varous bruises and scrapes that I somehow manage to always get

8. fascination

you love it;)

9. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

I agree...until it starts to wear off...and then it looks like I have a skin disease. Lol.

10. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

<---- currently sporting the "skin disease" look :rolleyes:

11. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

ohhh yes.... the skin disease look!!!

or how about before the comp when you have a deep tan (for latin) on your body and then your face is still white??? I was once in a modern class at my college and my teacher was like, "why are your hands so brown????? that's not normal!!!!! we used to have to tan for modern performances, but i never looked like THAT!!!" .... so I had to explain to her that in the latin dancing world, one needs to be significantly more brown than in the modern world LOL

12. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Me too! But I look at it as "battle scars"

13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Dance syllabus smooth. When you have to get up at 5 AM for your first heat, and then walk into a freezing-cold ballroom, too much ardrenelin is not generally a problem. :rolleyes:

14. fascination

BTDT...trust me...even that could not hold me back... i have pulled both FP and NP off of their feet...which is saying something with the new guy ;)...

15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Said pro doesn't teach Smooth or Standard. Well, I almost got him to do Smooth once, but we decided Latin was a safer bet. ;) Other pro--issue has never come up as we've never done Rhythm before. And I wear them for Smooth or I wear dance tights. I cannot imagine dancing bare-legged. And I *do* tan! My legs are NOT good enough, at least not from the knees up.

16. DancinProf

DancinProf Member

I learned that I need to get the sticky zipper on my Smooth gown fixed. Needed a "quick change" between heats and almost missed a heat as a result of that %$#@! zipper!

17. VM09

VM09 New Member

So, question that has been burning me for a while as I'm reading this... why FISHNETS and not STOCKINGS?

I [clearly!] don't dance latin.

18. Casey

Casey Member

----------
    I think it's pretty rare for an open dancer to do more than one or two sets of single dances and a scholarship. Many just do the scholarship. The multiple entry deal is more for syllabus dancers.

19. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

20. Laura

Laura New Member

Yep. And some of them enter (as in, "pay the entry fees for") the single dances because they are required, but don't actually dance them, and just do the Scholarship.