What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

2. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Quite true. I nearly fill a good sized duffle with hair and makeup products alone.

3. fascination

I have a tackle box for make up and a tackle box for jewelry

4. bia

bia Well-Known Member

On a week-long work trip abroad this summer, I had less than half as much luggage as I brought for two days at a comp a week earlier.

j_alexandra, Miss Silly and Sania like this.
  5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

What did you do to get the Vaseline out of your hair? I used Vaseline to slick my hair back for a costume party once, and I had to use Tide laundry detergent to wash the stuff out.

6. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

That while I might not feel like I've lost weight, other people have noticed that I no longer look like a sausage squeezed into a dress...

7. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

That there are more kinds of floors out there than the ones that collegiate competitions rent out, and while an NDCA floor may be slower and give you better control, it also hurts like a *&#@* afterward when you're dancing with proper foot and leg technique.

8. fascination

NDCA floors vary

9. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I wound up just using shampoo (repeatedly) and time. It wound up being Monday before my hair started to feel like hair again (the competition was on Thursday), but my pro has informed me that as a guy, I have no grounds to complain about what I have to do to my hair for competitions. :D

middy, ajiboyet, Sania and 5 others like this.
  10. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

You can use Dawn Dishwashing Liquid. We use it frequently to get oil based products out of marine life, feathers, down and all. It works quite well,,,how do I know? my children loved using Vaseline at Halloween, in their hair. What a mess.

Miss Silly likes this.
  11. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Ah! So the Dawn commercials are true! LOL (there was one of the product where they're using it to clean seagulls after an oil spill)

mindputtee likes this.
  12. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

I learned how much fun it can be to "play" with the spectators while dancing. Starting to feel more natural with the performance aspect.

j_alexandra, dancelvr and ajiboyet like this.
  13. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the venues provide the floors? And, if so, then the quality of the floors would vary according to venue, rather than organization, yes?

14. fascination

15. fascination

you could get anything

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  16. Aura

Aura Active Member

I need to smile more when I'm dancing.

17. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Another lesson learned for me....

I sat down to the comp's banquet dinner at a table across from a woman sitting alone. She was delightful, and we chatted for several minutes. She asked me questions about my dancing like.....what do you dance...Standard? I said yes. She said....oh, excellent....me too. I asked, are you dancing this weekend? She says.....no. I'm a judge. :oops: Oy!

I was totally embarrassed, but she was lovely about the whole thing. Live and learn!

cornutt and Purr like this.
  18. Lioness

It's what the internet recommended to get car oil off of my cat (don't even ask)...unfortunately, I couldn't find it in Aus.

Miss Silly likes this.
  19. Sania

Sania Active Member

Is your cat OK?

20. Lioness

Yeah. When he was a kitten he went exploring and my neighbours had left some old car oil in a pan. He laid in it, because he was a stupid cat. Had to wash him about 5 times.

cornutt likes this.