What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Heh. That's on par with my partner and I attending practice rounds, and chatting with another couple during a break. We encouraged them to enter a local amateur comp, and one of them said "I can't - I'm a professional." Oops... :rolleyes: Apparently it was a Pro practicing with a student (which goes to show, "Pro" is sometimes just a title and not an indicator of abilities)

dancelvr likes this.
  2. costa226

costa226 New Member

I learned at my last comp how to effectively prepare for a competition, I wasnt nervous as much because I warmed up properly, and actually kept myself cool before walking out on the floor.. last time I let my nerves get the best of me.
    I also learned that I need to learn how to breathe more while dancing. I also need to keep working on such things like posture, my head and hips seemed to be in the wrong place the entire time.

Most importantly right now in my dancing I know I need more hands on training, more classes, more privates, and am ready for much more technique. Ive reached a nice plateau, but just got over it and am ready for way more.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I learned to sustain mentally dancing for only my own enjoyment....score

4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

More then score...victory!!!

j_alexandra likes this.
  5. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I learned that I am improving, in both rhythm and smooth. A nice revelation as sometimes in the day to day lessons, it seems as though I'm not.

stash, latingal, SwayWithMe and 2 others like this.
  6. LT

LT Member

It's all...relative! You may feel like your frame is falling apart in the last part of the last quickstep... especially after three rounds... but everyone else out there is in the same boat, in that they had to dance the same number of rounds, so they are probably getting tired too! :cool:

7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Jive needs to go back to the drawing board....

Lioness likes this.
  8. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I learned that we're getting better, slowly. We had a couple of placings this time :)

Also learned that my partner and I have a great partnership...our body types look good together, we've worked out our height difference, and we dance well. However, I need to ditch my syllabus latin dress...it's not flattering.

latingal likes this.
  9. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

I learned that one-day comps are a lot of fun! Three styles in one day was awesome!

dancelvr likes this.
  10. fascination

I learned a whole lot about what I don't want to do anymore

jiwinco and latingal like this.
  11. Wannabee

I'm curious to know what you mean, more specifically...

12. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

I learned I am much happier at a comp when I take the time a few weeks prior to mentally prepare.
    That and at a most recent comp I have realized I/we are not improving and need to take some action to fix that. Yet even if I don't score as well as I would like I can still and do enjoy the experience.

13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I learned that I like dancing. :cool:

14. fascination

not really something I want to share....sorry

15. Wannabee

Totally understand. I just came across your post in another thread about competing and realized that this sounds a bit deeper than the usual light-heartedness most of us go on about here on the threads.

16. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

If budget allows for it, go for the pro hair/make up. So worth it IMO

ajiboyet, latingal and debmc like this.
  17. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I participated in a local event last weekend (I paid for it before the furlough started). What I learned:

- I enjoyed competing
    - I thought I belonged on the floor; event was a confidence booster
    - It seemed like pro and I danced bigger most of the other pro/am couples
    - I felt pretty in a ballroom costume, which is a first
    - My v waltz needs work
    - Foxtrot might be my best dance

18. RookieDancer

RookieDancer New Member

Last event was about two weeks ago. Things I learned:

- I look down way too much. Way, way too much.
    - My heel leads in smooth needs work.

19. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

rhythm??

20. The_Maverick

The_Maverick New Member

What I learnt at my last competition.

Nothing ever changes, apart from the changes.

Studio principals will still make withdrawls/change age groups/late entries/change numbers up to the point when their customers are dancing thier event.

However as the Scrutineer this, somehow, is my responsibilty and I should have made the changes ....