What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

oddly...I keep doing iwell in that...annoyingly enough....the rest I am keeping to myself

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

That I might be better than I think I am.

That cool elegance is definitely my look.

That I should avoid competitions with small floors. (This now on my "check prior to registering" list.)

That, while he worked really hard to hide it, pro turns into a nervous wreck when the comp matters to him. As in, basket case with shaking arms, doing some odd stuff (really revealed in the photos). Coupled with my nerves, that means the first dance is a bit "really don't want anyone to see that video ever".

That my feet are actually really good, but I am completely unsatisfied with my top line. Need to stregthen my back muscles a LOT to allow for more shape and sway consistently, and not just when I'm concentrating on producing it.

That having a bit of a breakthrough re: fixing a recurring problem the night before the competition does not mean the problem will be fixed at the competition. Sometimes I had it, sometimes I did it the old way on muscle memory. I sense a gazillion repetitions to come on this one.

dancelvr and JudeMorrigan like this.
  3. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

That things need to change

nikkitta likes this.
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Actually this is a significant step forward in itself. You realized you had a problem, you set about finding a solution, and then you implemented it during the comp. The fact that old muscle memory reasserted itself at times does not diminish what you accomplished. Time and practice will work that out. Have a bit of patience with yourself.

5. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

That's what pro says... he finds it hilarious that my immediate reaction to the comp was "Okay. That was good... but not great. Give me 4 months - I'll be better."

latingal likes this.
  6. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Cardio, cardio, cardio...

7. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

It's beautiful the encouragement we give each other here.

8. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

Sadly, I learnt that someone I know does not exhibit the same level of professionalism as my pro. Disappointing.

I also learnt how it feels to stand at the front of the awards lineup for Scholarship! :)

9. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Yay for you!!!

SwayWithMe likes this.
  10. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

To be careful of the practice floor when there is a large lip on the carpet. Pro danced me off the edge, was so steep, tripped and I fell on my butt!! LOL, I am so (not) graceful!

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lol.....wouldn't be the first time that dress hit the floor :)

12. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Dancing TBA with a stranger (turned new friend) can be really fun! And successful, even, with less than an hour of practice - we got first in silver C/R and second in S/J from a first round.

13. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

When dancing Standard in competition for the first time, practice turn-out-to-curtsey in the gown *with the floats*. Especially in Viennese Waltz.

It was hilarious.

nikkitta, cornutt, latingal and 3 others like this.
  14. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

How did the float taste?

j_alexandra, ajiboyet and latingal like this.
  15. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I learned that even though it was a small local comp, winning top student feels AWESOME!!, followed closely by winning my 2 scholarships, and winning 3 "mixed pairs" events (an instructor pairs up with a student from another studio for impromtu lead-follow heats of various dances) with 2 different instructors!

It was my first time competing in silver, so even though I rarely do, I am going to actually allow myself to be happy about my dancing this weekend. Small comp or not, I worked hard and it felt great to be out on that floor.

16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I'm glad I dance smooth so I don't have to worry about those things...

j_alexandra and ajiboyet like this.
  17. j_alexandra

Like polyester. ;-)

3wishes and Terpsichorean Clod like this.
  18. j_alexandra

Truth. Taking a bit of getting used to.

19. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I need to worry more about floorcraft in latin. I think about it quite ablot in standard, but a good bit less so in latin. I'm pretty sure my lack of foresight and the resultant issues they caused in my dancing had a lot to do with my missing a recall today. The former the judges could probably overlook, the latter less so. Not that I wouldnt have been towards the bottom of that final even had I danced as well as i can, mind you.

20. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

That nerves do make a difference. Hands down I was more nervous for this comp than any other comp ever, and it showed, and not for the better in our first event. That being said, we still placed not last in our first comp competing both amateur and open. We also did really well in gold.
    Learned that I need to work on becoming more powerful.. The other couples on the floor in novice were just moving so much more than us, but our line figures look really good.
    Finally learned that I can actually do my hair and makeup decently well ( finally!)

Also, that meeting df people IRL is awesome.. Great job Jude! You guys looked awesome :)