What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Instructor change was the right decision on so many levels!
  2. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Thanks, llamas! I was really glad you came by. Sorry if I seemed a bit distracted. I can get kind of focused when I'm between heats. :)

As far as it goes, I only saw your gold, but it looked quite nice to me. My partner considered your head whips in tango to be literally remarkable.
  3. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Thanks...we just had a lesson on tango head...and no worries, you didn't come off as distracted! I also totally understand trying to focus!
  4. JudeMorrigan

Oh, it's not a matter of my *trying* to focus. It's more one of me usually feeling like I'm even more off in my own little world than normal. Which, to be frank, is really saying something. :)
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  5. JudeMorrigan

Oh, and as far as lessons learned go, my partner and I need to spend more of our time working on our foxtrot and QS. A disproportionate amount of our standard practice time working on waltz simply because it's easier to get the music. We need to break down, get some bluetooth transmitters, and even things out, even as we increase our overall practice time. The marks in the other two dances weren't really out of sync with the waltz, but the dances themselves felt pretty meh to me.

Also, we need to spend bazillions of hours doing latin drills.
    FancyFeet and latingal like this.
  6. Mengu

Mengu Active Member

We clearly need to do more rounds practice, and practice on competition size floors. When and where is the question...
    latingal likes this.
  7. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

Lessons learned at my second comp and first away-comp: Really, really bad idea to drink 3 glasses of wine the night before, also bad idea to dance 28 dances without stopping much, don't use shoe pads anymore! (one came off and one slipped around leaving me with one slippery shoe and one sticky shoe), hard to dance with stones stuck in shoe bottom, hard to dance while short on sleep and food, altitude has effect. Also learned people are nice and lots of fun. Also learned my best dance was last jive when I decided, I don't care anymore, I am just going to have fun. Dances were a dog's breakfast of complete screw ups and awesome moments.
  8. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

A shot before competition? ;)
    latingal, j_alexandra and stash like this.
  9. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Though I didn't compete, I was at a comp all weekend where the music from the ballroom was pumped in to the practice room. What I learned was practicing open quickstep routines on a semi-crowded floor by yourself is just going to end bad...
  10. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Hey about that shot!!!
    I remember once dancing the USADance Nationals with my husband and observed this college gal take a bottle of Vodka out of her bag, big gulp, then goes on the floor to compete...

I was like OMG I cant believe she did that, but she danced great... Ya know, if that is what one needs to do to calm her nerves, fine, but if it was me I would of fallen face first using that method!!

I also use to dance with another gal and her husband was a dentist... She use to pop valums (sp) before a comp.
    Funny!!
    Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  11. My first Comp 2 weekends ago. We did great Placed 2nd overall and first in foxtrot and tango. So very pleased overall. I learned about myself that the deep desire for competition is still there as I hadn't really taken part in a competitive event in about 15 years. I learned that there are a lot of nice people out there in the competitive arena with loads of support.

On a side note I took pain killers (for a nagging ankle injury) and 2 glasses of wine before we went on. I felt no pain and danced as well as any day in practice. Great time. Comp #2 in 2.5 months.
    cornutt likes this.
  12. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

LOL! The infamous slow motion train wreck :jawdrop: "shot before competition" thread......pro and coach are still thinking it's something I should try.
    Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  13. JudeMorrigan

I think I may have mentioned this before, but my local studio had a margarita night a few months back. During the break, I had one. One. The first dance after the break was a quickstep. Hilarity ensued.

Suffice it to say, I am glad that that's not a lesson I have to learn at a competition.

:D
  14. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I could use some hilarity....going to have to go find me a margarita! :)
  15. Sania

Sania Active Member

Sounds like you will also need a quickstep partner for the full effect! ;)
    latingal likes this.
  16. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Though I'm sure a jive partner would have the same effect :)
    latingal likes this.
  17. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

<----------------------- volunteers
    latingal likes this.
  18. footyjammies

footyjammies New Member

No matter how perfectly prepared you are, expect something to go wrong. Once it does go wrong, don't sulk but react. Lessons from my last comp. The quicker you react, the quicker things are fixed.
    twothreefourone, middy and stash like this.
  19. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Well put Footyjammies! Don't get mad, get even (by way of results). My TC told us when we arrived yesterday that the two separate dances we thought we'd entered were actually part of a three-dance. My partner had a serious rage aura going on when I broke the news we had 90 mins to get a jive together :p Old lesson revisited - keep it clean and simple and dance the heck out of it. ;)
  20. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

TC = "Tanz Coach"? ;)
    twothreefourone likes this.