What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

What I learned from Indiana Challenge (or rather from the scoresheets now they're up): one judge (with a recognizable name) apparently liked my rhythm. Swing is not as bad as I thought (we were actually third in that in bronze scholarship.) And staying overnight before/after a comp is generally worth it.
    debmc likes this.
  2. Born2Ball

Born2Ball New Member

1. Pay more attention to my entries--I tend to just let the studio/pros enter me where they want but I'm quickly realizing that may not be in my best interest
    2. I actually like swing after all
    3. I need to make sure and warm up--despite how some want to treat them, proficiencies are not "warm up." Even if I have to be pushy, I'm competing and warm up is necessary for me to feel comfortable.
    4. Expression, expression, expression!
    ajiboyet, cornutt and fascination like this.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

all very good things to learn
  4. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I need to not hang with the group in the ballroom in-between my rounds in order to keep my focus. If I have only one or a few heats off of the floor before I go again, I need to be the anti-social one in the corner or hallway doing my own thing.
  5. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I need to keep my energy up all day. I left the ballroom between single dance rounds and multi dance rounds...went back to my room and had a nap and snack...but felt 'rusty' when I returned to the floor. I thought leaving the ballroom for awhile would help, but I'm not sure now. I lose momentum.
  6. bluslu

bluslu Member

Not getting called back is frustrating but okay if it's what you expecte, but having the organizers mess up and first list you as having made call backs, then 5 minutes before you go on the floor they realize they listed the wrong callbacks and suddenly you didn't make call backs- it's highly disappointing and a much bigger let down. It may also be the only time I've actually sat and brooded during a round, despite knowing we shouldn't have made the callbacks.
  7. frotes

frotes Member

Presentation and performance are a lot more important at a comp than I thought. Not that I didn't think it was important, my coaches/teachers have told me how valuable it was but I thought choreography or technical work was slightly more important. Now I think I might value presentation and technical work fairly equal
    Dean likes this.
  8. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

That we can pleasantly surprise ourselves with our placements when we do simple choreography well
    ajiboyet, Dean, JudeMorrigan and 3 others like this.
  9. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

I learned that I prefer to compete with a pro that has no interest in making me feel good at a comp and more interested in teaching me so I can make myself feel good with my progress.
  10. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Active Member

I learned that I like doing several entries at one comp rather than doing several comps with few entries.
    I also learned that I like being the only student the pro has, although it is a double edged sword- he has time to really hone in on my weaknesses and call me out and be nit-picky, than when he has several other ladies he is dancing with. But he also had time to sit with me and watch others dance and use it as a teaching tool to point out various things to me. I do enjoy the camaraderie of a group, but I also enjoyed my time with just my pro.
  11. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Active Member

Something else I also learned....I appreciate the judges and all the many people that make a comp happen. The judges stand on their feet and watch what must be endless repetitions of bronze steps, but still nod and smile encouragingly when you are done. Also I had 3 random teachers come up to me and compliment me on my dancing which was very nice and encouraging and I appreciated that so much.
  12. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I learned that I need to spend more time doing rounds in practice
    Sania, debmc and musicbrain like this.
  13. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Oy. Me too. Always.

I learned that mental state makes a bigger difference than how tired my body actually is (from lack of sleep). Just gotta get in the zone.
    debmc likes this.
  14. musicbrain

musicbrain Member

I learned that being 'in practice' in comp mode makes a HUGE difference in how well I'm able to be mentally prepared. Three comps (one tiny, not-official one a week before our last real one) in the space of five weeks made the last comp go REALLY well.

Usually I think too much, try to analyze everything. This time, I also learned that I don't need to consciously know what I learned, but the floor experience is incredibly valuable anyway.
  15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Yes and that is often why the competitors who do one or two comps per month, usually do so well. Experience helps!
  16. fascination

well yes, but there are also other reason$ why that benefit$ them
    stash and debmc like this.
  17. fascination

but , in spite of that, I am a big fan of doing a small comp right before a big one
  18. musicbrain

musicbrain Member

We don't have a lot of comps in our area, so this was a bit of a rare opportunity!
    Guess I'll just have to start traveling a bit further afield.
  19. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Defeat is a strong motivator
    debmc likes this.
  20. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Active Member

I have just about decided to go to Yankee Classic at the end of June as a "warmup" for Manhattan Dance Championships in early July. I have managed to convince myself that I needn't freak out over the Yankee Classic because I'm just using it as a warmup AND that I needn't freak out over the Manhattan Dance Championships since I will have recently had the experience at the Yankee Classic. Amazing what one can convince oneself of….
    Sania and j_alexandra like this.