What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I remember Joanna Leunis saying something similar about herself in an interview...

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I struggle with that as well, but it goes WORSE, if I don't get out of there and get some rest...so, it sort of bites either way...but the mental part goes better for me if I get some rest....

debmc and j_alexandra like this.
  3. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Although I was not there to compete this is what I learned: 1) More dancers need to freaking smile when they dance... Especially syllabus dancers! It's very hard to watch heat after heat of non-smiling dancers. 2) More dancers need to either a) clean their costumes more thoroughly or b) wear deodorant or c) bring an extra stick of deodorant to reapply after dancing many rounds! 3) That I really miss dancing.

dancelvr and SwayWithMe like this.
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Believe me, that's a lot better than a pro who has no time for you except when you're on the floor.

jiwinco, ajiboyet and fascination like this.
  5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I'm the same. After a sequence of heats, I need to get away from the floor for a bit and clear my head. I usually take my Ipod and play some distinctly non-danceable music for an hour or so. Then I come back to the ballroom and I'm mentally ready for the next sequence of heats.

6. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

That's a good idea!

7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

may i suggest glitch hop

8. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Oh believe me, I'm not complaining. The entire weekend was a valuable learning experience for me. When we were not on the floor, he pointed out other dancers and things to look for and it was great to have so much of his time that he generously shared and used as a teaching tool.

9. OreganO

OreganO Member

This past comp I danced TBA and wound up with a great leader (a first in my TBA experience). It was great to dance with someone who with a strong frame and used CBMP. However, I figured out pretty quickly that I'm even more demanding than I thought. While it's nice to have patterns, I also want larger movement (which was lacking as I figured dragging your leader around the floor isn't precisely kosher) AND frame AND CBMP. The moon and the stars would be pretty sweet too but that can wait :)

Time to start training next year's dp!

SwayWithMe likes this.
  10. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I learned that I care more about placements than I thought I did. And that we need to get a video every time (which we didn't this time). Second comp in a row where, going in, we really thought our dance quality had improved, and our teacher had said so, too, and the dancing felt good, and the judges disagreed. This is getting really frustrating. If we really have improved, and I think we have, how embarrassingly awful must we have been before, if we're still no good now?

11. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Sorry, bia. I saw those results and was afraid you'd be disappointed. Want me to check with my Huntsville peeps and see if anyone got video from the events you shared with them? It obviously wouldn't focus on you, but might be better than nothing.

12. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jude, I'd appreciate that.

13. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Actually, I don't think it's a big mystery, though confirmation would be good, and I'm still frustrated. I think it's always and forever problems with our topline, exacerbated by our big height difference. 100% of the time, I need to be stretched left enough that I'm actually visible. And 100% of the time, he needs his right elbow not to be droopy, even though that means a sharp slope in his forearm to get his hand to my back, done without letting the shoulder pop up. So, pulling some random numbers out of the air, if we've improved from having an ugly topline 75% of the time to having an ugly topline 25% of the time, that's a big improvement, but we'll still be beaten by any couple with a consistently pretty topline as long as they're on time. We're going to see if using lots of video during practice will help us catch ourselves in the act. I'm tempted to travel to Brooklyn for advice from Marat Gimaev and Alina Basyuk on dealing with a height difference, but we'll need time to save up our pennies for that.

14. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

At MIT, I learned that overpacking for an out-of-state comp is a very, very bad thing. :confused:

15. billman

billman Active Member

I learned to check my shoelaces before doing a multi-dance event!

cornutt and j_alexandra like this.
  16. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Oh, I also learned that I need more practice with false eyelashes. Getting them on easily in the middle of a random afternoon at home does not predict much about whether I can do it at 7 AM on comp morning.

17. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I learned that I've been around long enough for the comp MC to feel comfortable making fun of me a bit... and that I can handle getting made fun of before my first heat even starts, and not let it throw me off.

j_alexandra and ajiboyet like this.
  18. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Velcro!

:p

ajiboyet and nikkitta like this.
  19. Dean

Dean New Member

After my first comp ever, about 2 weeks ago. I learned not to watch my comp videoes afterwards :) During the comp, I thought I was full of musicality and my facial expressions was so in tune with the music, I felt so good about myself... But when I watched the video, OMG!!! what a horror show!!!... My pro forced me to watch the video together with her, and she was taking notes!!! (glad I did not have to take the notes, it would be so painful...)

Actually I was very glad she did that. I was quite full of myself right after the comp, I was thinking about moving on to "silver". But after watching the videos, I am now so "grounded" again. Going back to my "pre-bronze" routines and start working on all those "little details".

billman, ajiboyet and frotes like this.
  20. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

No, watch them... just have a drink first :)