What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

Learned that I have the stamina to dance over 120 heats... :dancingbanana: (Even with a chest cold) Per both my pros my energy was good through the last dance. (Looks like being in dance shape is not a problem)

But for a variety of reasons, I learned some things that I don't want to share, but are very disappointing.. now I have to figure out my next plan :oops:

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yep...feels great to know that you can dance as long as you need to...as for the other stuff; I am on a break from comps for what will probably end up being @ 2 years when it is all said and done (it has been nearly a year already)...but, when I was actively and heavily competing over the past 9 years, there was almost always some deep and ego challenging lesson that I had to learn about myself...and things that I came to learn about whomever I danced with...and learning how to navigate all of that with grace was a major goal...it is a wonderful journey

sbrnsmith, debmc and Dr Dance like this.
  3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Had that experience recently too. Back in my garage-band days, we had a saying, "Playback's a bitch"... this especially applied to those practice days when we'd get all wasted and then jam, and it felt like we were the second coming of Led Zeppelin, and then the next day we listened to the tape... oy. :rolleyes:

ajiboyet, Sania and dancelvr like this.
  4. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

There's hope for me yet!! I've written in other threads about my decision to do a couple of higher-profile tougher competitions this summer for the experience--particularly getting to watch the higher level dancers. I've also written about my wide-ranging wild insecurities and the variety of techniques that I use to cope with/overcome them. I am definitely on my own time table and have my own goals, but I am very pleased with how it all went. My pro (somehow) manages to keep a sense of humor about some of my oddities--which ARE getting better, but still.

With the second comp, I didn't dance particularly well in the single dance heats early in the day. Rather than letting that throw me, I pulled myself together and danced much better in the afternoon championship. Next goal will be to dance closer to real ability for the entire day, but I surprised myself that it wasn't "game over" after the morning. It's also a real achievement for me that I've decided to go with "pleased that I did better in the afternoon" rather than the very tempting berating myself for being so inconsistent. The consistency will come.

5. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Congrats! IMHO, learning to pull yourself together after a rough start is much more challenging than simply riding a day when you happen to be "on"... so seriously, great job. To learn even more from that, I recommend thinking about (and writing down) what you did to turn things around, and apply that to part of your prep process for single dances next time.

Sania, RiseNFall and Mr 4 styles like this.
  6. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Beautiful attitude. A lot of us have something to learn from you.

7. RiseNFall

Thank you, that is very kind. It is an attitude that is reflected by many of the posters and posts on the forum, though perhaps not so explicitly. I have gotten a lot from the "why do you dance/compete" types of threads, some of them fairly old. As a group, you guys have made some very wise observations over the years (intermingled with some non-ending disputes, of course ;)).

j_alexandra and Sania like this.
  8. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

That ... that ... I'm a legit pro-am silver smoothie. The fields at Vol State weren't huge, but I won my championship and not only finished second in my scholarship, but won the waltz in that event. My stretch goal for the comp was to take two individual marks off of the guy who won that scholarship. I'm kind of floored.

9. fascination

10. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Oh, and not that it was a surprise, but I learned that Tibor's a pretty nice guy. I also did a round of am-am with my new partner. We were on the floor with one of the other championships. While our event was unsurprisingly uncontested, their's was a fairly full finals. And, well, I feel like I lived up to the stereotype of the slightly dangerous am lead. He was very understanding though. :-D

11. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

I learnt that I love competing Amateur, and that it feels completely different from ProAm. This was our first time out, and we really had no expectations other than getting it out on the floor, but we had a great time!

I learnt that AP is more confident with me than with his pro. Possibly something to do with the stories of me chest bumping another gal's pro in cha cha at the last comp? LOL (Seriously, the dude lined up less than an arm's length from me. What was he expecting?)

I learnt that while Top Student is a dubious honor, I am thrilled beyond words to see my pro get Top Teacher.

Not a new lesson, but a confirmation: no matter how much fun I have with Rhythm, or how much I love Standard, Smooth just makes my heart sing in an entirely different way, and my placements reflect that.

12. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Active Member

Definitely don't go out drinking the night before. The first 4 heats were brutal for me and I was sweating bullets while fighting the worst hangover imaginable. Once I took care of things though, I started to dance very well.

Also, for all competitions: Sleep more. Doing your own hair/makeup is a godsend when you can.

cornutt, dbk, Dean and 1 other person like this.
  13. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Totally agree with the more sleep! It makes such a difference. I hardly ever room with anyone now because I need my sleep and I'm a very light sleeper. I'd love to be able to do my own hair and makeup! Maybe someday...

14. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Yes, maggiemoves, I will not even indulge in a glass of wine the night before a comp... That comes later!!

SwayWithMe likes this.
  15. fascination

for me, a glass of wine is a neccessity....but an evening of drinking is terminal

16. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Sleeping more before a comp is not always possible....sometimes, hair and make up may be very early, if the vendor was booked up and could only get you in at 4.00 AM. At my last comp, the amazing Boyko did my hair/makeup, but it was at 4.00 AM...however well worth it....the coffee shop in the lobby wasn't even open at that hour....and I had a long day ahead of me....also sometimes nerves and anxiety can keep you up the night before. I am like fasc....a glass of wine is a necessity.

17. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

This wasn't my last comp, but I just realized I should share this pearl of wisdom: EAT. DO NOT GO SEVERAL CONSECUTIVE ROUNDS OF OPEN SMOOTH AND STANDARD WITHOUT EATING MORE THAN A BANANA ALL DAY.

Additionally, should you utterly fail at eating all day, don't eat a huge thing of chicken pot pie for dinner. It will come back up, and you will have to dance again afterwards, and that will stink.

j_alexandra likes this.
  18. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I feel bloated when I eat before dancing, and those dance dresses don't leave any room for bloating....I find myself nibbling on nuts, some fruits but mostly drinking water, tea, gatorade etc and finishing up with a small meal...

SwayWithMe likes this.
  19. RiseNFall

I bring my own coffee with me (an instant that I find acceptable) and actual milk for myself and whoever might need it, such as the person doing my hair at 4:00AM….

I also bring a box of low sugar high protein bars with me. Some for me, but also to share. My pro has grumbled about my selection, but hey, he has also eaten several of them. Some comps, the bars get devoured, other comps, I take most of them home with me. I can't eat anything with gluten in it, and I learned very quickly to be sure I always had something with me.

20. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Eating doesn't usually bother me... I can usually wolf down a half sandwich before I dance. But that this comp I think I had a quarter of a bagel at 6 am, a banana somewhere around noon, and then the unfortunate chicken pot pie somewhere around 6pm. My body did not like. I learned something about my physical limits that day. :(

MaggieMoves likes this.