What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. Laura

Laura New Member

Back on topic...

I learned something pretty profound at my last comp but I can't really articulate it. But it's making me look forward to getting back into the studio, getting ready for my next comp, and dancing my next comp.
  2. etp777

etp777 Active Member

As much as we try to share and learn form each other on DF, as long as YOU can benefit from the experience, that's definitely first/most important thing Laura. But work on articulating it too. ;)
  3. davidino

davidino New Member

I learned not to plan travel around the posted schedule - I think it's safe bet that the event will happen the same day - but the pro/am scholarship getting moved to the evening session cost me $150 plus whatever it cost my pro to change her flight :-( Next time I'll plan on spending the night.
  4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

yup!

I found a place to spray me that does one coat SO DARK that is all I needed to get me through all of Emerald. And I am still really dark with just a hint of disease showing up on my legs almost a week later. Bad thing is I have to spray agian on Weds to even it out for Atlanta... and then after Atlanta I think I will be very diseased looking. Layering does not help!
  5. davidino

davidino New Member

Ah, another thing I learned regarding standard floorcraft... If you and another couple are continuously trying to occupy the same space might be best to modify your routine to head towards open floor... looking at the video it would have been hard for the judges to see either couple.
  6. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I learned that Smooth has changed tremendously.

I was inspired to be a better dancer, actually lifted by their energy.
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

b/c they are hot, and they run
  8. fascination

sometimes the lesson is personal but more powerful:D
  9. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I think it's fishnets and not stockings because with fishnets, you can still at least kind of have your foot grip the shoe and your big toe touch the floor.

A stocking-covered foot is going to be slippery and possibly move around in an open-toed latin shoe, which is definitely not what I want. With fishnets, your foot is still touching the shoe through the mesh and thus less slippery.
  10. Rhubarb

Rhubarb New Member

i learnt that locking in a quickstep is very dangerous when your feet dont want to move yet your body still is hahahha so embarrasing.
  11. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Stockings also make your legs look shiny and paler, no matter what shade of hosiery you are wearing.

And as it has been said before they are too slippery. I saw a woman's shoe go flying off from wearing hosiery.

BTW, people who dance Standard/Smooth have been known to wear fishnets (and stockings).
  12. ChelD

ChelD Member

They are extremely slippery, but I wear them anyway. I have resolved the slipperiness issue by (don't laugh) using body glue. I just roll it on my feet/stockings right before I put the shoes on and voila! no more sliding feet.
  13. fascination

am sorry...need to laugh an eensy weensy bit ;)...the things we do
  14. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I used to spray hairspray in the bottom of my dance shoes and then stick my feet in there. Same idea, less effective.
  15. fascination

oy...this is not helping the image WRT dancers being a bit...um...odd ;)
  16. etp777

etp777 Active Member

don't think any of it is any more strange than using wig tape to hold dress top up... Of course, not saying it's normal either. :)
  17. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I once had my ankles a significantly darker shade than my legs because I had to layer to cover up the skin disease.... idk what happened, but i ended up with really dark ankles!!! i was insanely brown in general at that comp... just bc i had to layer on so much tanner :( I am looking forward to doing standard where I do not have to tan so much!!!
  18. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

it's all good!!! when i used to swim, we would spit in our goggles so they wouldn't fog up....:confused: i am not even sure if that was effective or not.. but for my entire life (i come from a swimmer family and so was probably swimming laps before i could walk lol), I do not think there was a time in which I was wearing goggles I had not spit into first....

gosh, the things athletes do LOL!!
  19. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I was told same thing for snorkeling and scuba masks nonies. Course, doesn't mean it's true, but certainly a common urban myth. :)
  20. I was just reading this thread and it's great to see what you've all learnt so far. I have some question for everyone that was looking to get on the treadmill/build stamina:

1. Did you actually start hitting the gym/getting on the treadmill?
    2. Did you stick to your routine/Do you still do it now?
    3. Did/Does it really help????