What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my workouts are essential to my stamina, which is why stamina has never been an issue...and I have danced in excees of a hundred heats a few times in my truly batty days
  2. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

nothing like coming into a swimming class full of 6 year olds who are all furiously licking the insides of their goggles LOL!!!
  3. TAK

TAK Member

I recently started taking a Zumba class and I do feel like it helps with stamina. However, the subjective feeling doesn't seem to have translated into comp results, so I don't know...but it's still cool to feel less tired at the end of a round.

There was a thread a while back on cross training that might also be interesting to you. Probably easy to search for.
  4. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I've changed up my cardio routine too recently to notice any effects yet, but I'll report back after I compete.

But I work out on a regular basis.
  5. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Well, I'm in the Air Force, where run tests, sit-ups, push-ups, and weight checks are a common occurrence. So I run 3 miles 3-4 times/week and work weights the other days. And training like this at 6500 feet helps when you go down to sea level to compete. So, yeah, IMO endurance training is essential preparation for dance competitions.
  6. Laura

Laura New Member

It took me about a month to notice a difference.
  7. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

If I can talk my gf into lending me a pair, I'll try that. :p
  8. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

I have an injury and haven't been able to get to the gym in six weeks. I totally notice a decrease in stamina and endurance, and can't wait to be able to go back to my regular routine. Three days a week in the gym for at least an hour of cardio at a time, with a half an hour of weight training. It definitely makes a positive difference!
  9. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

that I've finally found out how to connect my arm to my spine....hallelujah and pass the libations around on me!
  10. fascination

if you have too many libations your arm will no longer function in relationship to your spine ;)
  11. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

:uplaugh:

oh man.... :D
  12. reb

reb Active Member

That's the ticket. :D I'm at the wrong altitude.
  13. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

This one's not quite what you'd expect....

That pros, who might have no affiliation to you, will give you a kind and/or encouraging word after a hard day on the comp floor. There are several that kept my sagging ego from hitting the floor after one of those days....

My thanks to them for giving just a bit of a boost to keep one going...

I wonder if they know how much something that they might take as a small thing means?
  14. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I think they do, at least ones at my studio, partly because I can see how much they appreciate it when we're there to support them. It's fun watching our new "baby" pro couples "grow up" ;)
  15. fascination

that is a good point LG...I was very stressed about my first silver smooth sets with NP and very high profile smooth pro overheard me fretting and paid me a compliment that made me blush all the way down to my toes and on days when I really think I stink, I remember what he said because I know he meant it...I don't know if he can appreciate fully what a boost that gives me as i head down to practice, but I treasure that comment and it fuels me
  16. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Hmm.. what did I learn at my last comp? Its been a few months now, but what I learned is this- I really like being on the floor. For the first time ever, I came to a realization that this (dancing) is supposed to be fun so have fun with it. No stress, just dance.
  17. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

re: compliments -- totally agree. Have had complete strangers come up to us just to say "I love watching you dance!", and judges tell us (afterwards) that we looked really good or improved a lot since the last time they saw us. I try to hold on to that for the inevitable times when the dancing goes through a crappy phase (like now).
  18. fascination

oh...lol...moment of shameful boasting...I learned how to hold a trophy ;)
  19. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Not a skill I've needed myself. Well, unless you count little trophy from showcases at least comp I did, but everyone got one of those. :p
  20. fascination

I learned how to be more gracious, to be tougher/have thicker skin when neccessary, how to be a better winner and a better loser...how to be more comfortable in my own skin