What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I also re-learned that you don't just find out who your friends are when the chips are down, you also find out when things are good, whether or not they can actually be happy for you...and I learned how to compartmentalize whatever I might be feeling at the time from what I have to do on the floor...wow...looking back...I learned alot at my last comp...many hard won victories that I failed miserably at in the past...feels good

2. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I haven't experienced dancing with no sleep for a while but I do remember how that felt, absolutely horrible!!!

Our last comp (USA Dance National) I experienced dancing with no food, really sucked, I only had lunch, and not such delicious lunch - McDonaldd Burgers:( I ate that only cos that's what's cheap and convenient for me...Then there was that miserable long 4 hours break between first and 2nd rounds (from 6:45 to 10:45), I was afraid of eating too much and my stomach too full and eating too close to the time I was scheduled to dance (I usually have to eat one big meal 5 or 6 hours before dance and not to eat at all) so I only had 2 chocolate bars in this long 4 hours break; then I was suffering from starving and running out of fuel later, starting semi-final, my stomach reallly started bothering me, I swallowed half of energy bar between rounds, but when you are so hungry, energy bar didn't help that much. Somehow we made to the final, so I thought I could eat after final and awards so my poor stomach could get relief; but add injury to insults, we were picked for anti-doping tests, so that's another miserable one and half hour without food, only drink water:( When we finally competed test, it was nearly 3am in the morning, and all restaurants were closed. We only had some fruits in hotel, so we only ate that and couldn't wait until morning to have a huge breakfast:)

So the lesson learned, not to dance without food, if break is 4 hour, I would eat a light/small meal, something small, not nothing at all. No food not only bad for performance, but bad for health too.

3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Love it! *grin*

4. latingal

I learned something similar two comps ago, and then the last comp I learned some comps are fun, and some are learning experiences.... *grin*

5. Kromat

Kromat New Member

I say every step, is a learning experience, if you start winning after all the hard work, you need to stay consistent, and still get better, in the areas that still need improving.

Sometimes the loses are better for your development, then the winnings, since it shows how far you've come, and what still needs tweaking, to get to that level.

Practice makes perfect, the more you do something, you'll be consistent in that area, and it'll come naturally.

Never force yourself into doing a routine your not comfortable with technically, as it won't look as good, and you'll just stress over the fact of it not working.

With every activity or career, it takes time to get into a rhythm where your satisfied with the outcomes, just try your best, and success will come eventually with dedication.

6. Kromat

Kromat New Member

Exactly, I know we go to competitions to win, but unless we show the judges that we can be technical and still have a fun time doing it, it won't work when your all stressed out, and nothing is working for you that day and time.

We use all the practice time we need, so we're comfortable when we're put into a tough situation and have to trust each other to make it work.

7. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

How about second to last comp: get more sleep and don't sleep on the floor.... I am so over that....

Also, stone your costumes sooner than the night before..... :-/

8. latingal

*grin* time honored tradition....

9. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

It definitely has become a part of my pre-competition routine. Also, carrying around body spray to cover my E6000 scent has become pretty standard (or latin :lol:)

10. latingal

Lots of comps coming up, so I'm hoping we'll hear from some of our members what they learn this go around!!

11. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I learnt that I need to learn to stay on my own balance. An impromptu entry into a solo event taught me that.

12. latingal

Yeah, it can certainly burst a gal's bubble. *grin*

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

great thread! keep the comments coming! :)

14. latingal

Looks like they're have been a number of comps the last week, anybody have words of wisdom to share?

15. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

I tried a different brand of hair color and it's made a huge difference. I was using Feria, but switched to Hydrience and my hair actually feels normal and healthy, not completely raped like usual. I think the color retention is better, too. Though it's only been a few days so it's too soon to tell.

Dancing wise... I just had fun and didn't worry about anything and ended up dancing great :)

16. DancinDrea19

DancinDrea19 New Member

well the chicago crystal ball was my very first competition- and i did learn alot from it! I tend to be a very anxious person and i was SO nervous to compete and i let it literally take over my dancing- so i didn't even dance close to my full potential- I'm pretty sure I forgot that i had hips..haha. I should have controlled my nerves better because, I really only hurt myself by not dancing the way I usually do

all in all I still enjoyed myself--I literally can't wait to compete again soon!:cool:

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

congrats, dancindrea!

18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I too learned that relaxing is now the biggest hurdle...video confirms that I danced like I was trying to kill something about 90% of the time...I am now past wanting to stick my head in the oven...lesson is tomorrow and I WILL stay relaxed

19. latingal

relaxation, yep one of my bug-a-boos too. I'd love to put that one to bed, but I think it requires more comps than I can afford in a year to get enough practice at it to finally be done with it.

20. Pienelinni

Pienelinni New Member

I always dance worse at competitions than at practice because I tend to try too hard. The last competition went surprisingly well since I didn't overdo it as much as I usually do. I'll have to keep that up, but it could still use quite some improvement. Any tips on not trying too hard without getting extremely sloppy?