What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

From my own mind (pro hasn't seen video yet), I believe I need to be more lifted and support myself more through the center. Also need to really shape UP and out, not just out... thought I was doing better at this, but apparently not according to the video. Also need to make sure my head is not turned too far to the left....that looks a bit broken, ha ;)

For the longer term, it would also be nice to have a better solution for my left arm.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

no...but am willing to drop serious cash for the secret:rolleyes:

3. Pienelinni

Pienelinni New Member

Same. :')

Although many people seem better at it than me, there must be a secret to at least be a little better. :roll:

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

welcome to DF, pienelinni!

5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Coffee: Still not a food group.

Video: No matter where you sit, the couple you are trying to film will be obstructed from your view. (It made me very much more sympathetic when Front Row lost me a couple times on my own videos.)

The lead for a traveling spin is a slap on the rear.

Smiling makes a difference.

6. danceronice

Pienelinni--are you doing pro-am? Because what really helped me with relaxing is just telling myself my pros know what they're doing and aren't going to let me screw up too badly, so stop worrying about it.

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

hah...talk about cave-man leading, lol.

8. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

Us amateur guys have the worst situation. We have to lead and we don't know what we're doing, amongst nervousness and anxiety, and floorcrafting. :p

Wish us guys luck. :p

9. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

I learned that sweat in the eyes don't feel good.

10. danceronice

This is what happens when one does Rhythm with Smooth Pro. ;)

(Actually it was a lot of fun switching things up and good for me to dance Rhythm with a different lead. However, I don't expect to be doing the reverse--Smooth or Standard with Rhythm pro-any time soon. Though if I DID get him to do Standard, it would be the ultimate "pictures or it didn't happen" situation.)

11. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Pro-Am doesn't exist in NL. Yes, it's really quite lovely to not have to worry about your partner as well as yourself, but dancing Am/Am is (for the most part :tongue:) worth the hassle.

What I learned at my last comp is that it is not a good time to be stubborn :roll:.

12. DancinDrea19

DancinDrea19 New Member

standardgirl --

how did you get that proof photo on here as your avatar? it doesn't let me click on mine!

13. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

usually doing Shift-PrintScreen, then pasting into Paint and cropping does the trick :cool:

14. DancinDrea19

DancinDrea19 New Member

um how do i do that ? haha

15. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

PMing you :D

16. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

and I PMed you as well ;)

17. Pienelinni

Pienelinni New Member

It indeed doesn't, and let me be honest, I don't really know what Pro-Am or Am-Am is?

I do both International Latin and Standard.

18. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Pro/Am: The couple is comprised of a Professional and an Amateur. Basically, you compete with your teacher ("professional partner").

Am/Am: An amateur couple. You compete with your partner.

Pro/Am is very popular in America and gives everyone the opportunity to compete, even if they don't have a regular partner.

19. Pienelinni

Pienelinni New Member

That's quite a funny concept really.
    Here that only appears on Dancing With The Stars. :roll: But no, I guess that makes us Am/Am. International style.

20. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Everyone with money to spend.:)