What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Definitely a big advantage to have that here--especially if you're a follow. (There just aren't the leads to go around.) Also it means only having to deal with one person's learning curve, which for me is a BIG advantage. If there were a "Things I have learned from social dancing" thread, it's that there are very few leads in my age range and I really don't like dancing with leads who aren't very good. With a pro, they're being paid to put up with me.)
  2. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

Lots of money.
  3. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

if you want to have a smile when on the comp floor, you got to practice that smile way beforehand
  4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

*grin* yep, the studied look of concentration ain't the best demeanor for the floor. I have the same problem...
  5. Pienelinni

Pienelinni New Member

I don't even have the money to get an decent trainer in the first place.

My partner isn't really the worst leader actually, we are on pretty much the same level. Which indeed is kind of rare in our rather low class, as I noticed the men are usually worse (they seem less, well, refined?) and they actually get away with it somehow. :p
  6. latingal

okay back on topic people....plenty of comps the last couple of weeks, what did you learn?
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I also learned that is is no fun to dance poorly and win
  8. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Absolutely agree fasc. HATE that. just like I hate a "first" when it's uncontested with our single dances. i want competition, an dI want to fairly beat them. Don't want to dance alone and don't want to win when I don't deserve it.
  9. latingal

But it can be looked upon as an achievement if the level of competition is good! If you have brought your level of dancing up so that your "bad day" is better than the rest of the field's good day, you've done a good job in your training!
  10. fascination

I don't mind an uncontested heat...if I danced it well
  11. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I think reason it bothers me so much is that I so rarely get to compete, so want most out of it. Which, to me, is testing myself against other people. I can dance by myself any day, and in fact, do. :) Speaking of, time to head to studio and practice.
  12. fascination

for the most part, that really wasn't the case...at leat I don't think so....but I am going to put it behind me...I have done well in larg fields but I have no idea how this weekend would have translated to those venues...so many intangibles
  13. fascination

sure...and if I could only compete a few times a year it would be all big comps or at least ones known to have high level attendees...something else I have learned along the way...but no comp is a waste...you are before the same judges who will see you in a larger field next time
  14. latingal

reminds me of another learning from a comp long ago, when you don't do well in a comp, learn as much as you can from it, address those issues, and move on...losses are inevitable, how you bounce back from them is the victory.
  15. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Agreed. No comp is a waste. Even if it's small, or you're uncontested, it's still experience on the floor. And sometimes can be a bit of an ego boost if you're always placing low at bigger comps. But even those things aside, it's experience in logistics (how long it takes you to get into hair and makeup, etc), managing nerves, remembering to stay hydrated, etc. The more comps you do, the more routine it becomes and you can really streamline the whole process for yourself to be able to focus on just the dancing.
  16. fascination

precisely LG...while having placed well..what I did wrong was just an extreme version of something I have been doing wrong for a long time...and it will be an impetus for progress...b/c...it is time
  17. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

I hate uncontested heats as it defeats the purpose of me going and PAYING for the comp. Plus, I do tend to dance much better when it's contested. Still can't quite figure out how to dance as good when uncontested ;) I guess that might also explain why I usually dance better at comps than during lessons... I love my audience and I love competitions ;)
  18. fascination

I love an audience as well...but there are times when I love them too much
  19. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

What I learned is that the audience gravitates towards the best couple (I already knew that anyways).

Heck, perhaps judges can do some judging based upon the looks from the crowd. :rolleyes:
  20. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

I love the audience especially the ones that smile back to the couples. Not from the last comp, but from a couple comp's back, I had a 6-year-old came up and asked for my autograph. Aww...that was simply the sweetest thing I've ever experienced. I was shocked! Also had a couple ladies that came up and told me that they just wanted to let me know they really enjoyed watching my American Smooth.

I guess what I learned is that even though my Smooth isn't all that good (I am a standard girl ;)), my facial expressions and all that acting and connecting to the audience still worked! Even though I didn't win or place extremely well, I can still provide joy to the audience and feel connected to them. These are some good spirits~