what is dance?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by chomsky, Sep 26, 2011.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Hmmm, what is dance to me? Well, I have never been creative.. I didn't paint, act, draw, , sing or play a musical instrument. So dance to me is finally discovering at this point in life a creative outlet that is such a nice diversion to my usual very analytical/scientific daily work.
  2. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

same here; the more creative thing I have ever done in my life was either singing for a short two years or teaching...now it's dance
  3. chomsky

dance is...

a devouring passion
  4. chomsky

this is what dance used to be for me almost a year ago. I guess, now that I'm on a break from dance, it's not the same anymore. Still, perhaps it will become something new. What if from ideal it will become real? A quest for company like every other social dancer and nothing but that company? What if?
  5. Aura

Aura Active Member

You wish is my command, chomsky. :) To me, dance is an expression of spirit and soul.
  6. chomsky

I' m stealing your quote...I so loved it...
  7. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

This brings to mind what is for me a fundamental dichotomy of dance. Other people see what I do, I feel it. If it didn't feel good to move to music, I wouldn't do it, because I am the sort of person that doesn't care what he looks like to others.

That is also the dichotomy between social dancing and competition dancing. For good social dancing, it is more important for it to feel good than to look good. For competition, that priority is reversed.

For me, dance is a fundamentally kinesthetic expression.
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

not sure about that....as doing it well does feel good...and the better you get the better it feels...granted, I like it to look good too, but I think that often the two actually do go hand in hand for all types of dancers
  9. toothlesstiger

maybe when you get to a high enough level. Since starting to compete, I find, at least at my level, dancers who have trained for competition, rather than for social, are not comfortable to dance with. Yes, if I were ever to get that good, it would probably both look and feel good, but at my level my teacher is focusing on one much more than the other.
  10. toothlesstiger

And what feels good to me isn't what looks good...
  11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I would say that usually what feels bad is the unneccessary addition of tension while trying to execute new technical concepts....most high level dancers should be able to make your dancing feel ver comfortable...that is why it feels good to dance with your instructor...the reason it may not feel good to dance with people who are better than you but not really high level is that they tend to be more about the principle that they have learned witout being able to also adjust for how the other person is moving...If I try to dance a guy to MY level, he is going to feel uncomfortable if he isn't at that level....if I take what I know and do that to the best of my ability within the constraints of HIS level, he is going to feel good...as long as I don't impose things that he clearly isn't yet doing upon him
  12. toothlesstiger

Hehe.
    No, it is actually uncomfortable to dance with my instructor in anything other than a choreographed routine.

I think we are in different places in how we see this. Years of practice and training can take you to a point where movements feel good and are pleasing to others to watch, because of years of practice habituating you to what would otherwise be unnatural acts for your body. :p

It is the opposite of spontaneous, yet we must make it look spontaneous.

And yet, there is dancing that is a spontaneous expression of our reaction to music we enjoy. To me, any visual aesthetic that may come of it is purely byproduct, as it is a primarily a kinesthetic experience for the dancer in this case.

Visual aesthetics and kinesthetics can come together, but only through a great deal of practice and training. This is why I love watching jack and jill competitions.
  13. chomsky

DANCE: SCARY AND THRILLING AT THE SAME TIME...THE VOYAGE OF DISCOVERING YOURSELF... taken from a you tube video on ballet...
  14. Br0nze

Br0nze Member

A metaphor for life, like most things invented by people.
  15. chomsky

Dance: Two souls, one body
    Love: One soul, one body
  16. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

"Dance is the hidden language of the soul. The body says what words cannot. [The] movement never lies. It is a barometer telling the state of the soul's weather."

Martha Graham
    OreganO likes this.
  17. chomsky

“I don't want people who want to dance, I want people who have to dance. ” ― George Balanchine

Does dance have to be a passion? Can it be a hobby instead?
  18. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Of course it can be a hobby. You can't compare people doing ballroom in midlife (for dance purposes, that starts around 25) to people that Ballanchine wanted for his company. For starters, to last five minutes in his company, you better HAVE to dance, because just liking it would not be enough to put up with the demands. He was based very deeply in classical ballet of the old Maryinski school and then he was taking and turning things on their head all while making enormous technical demands on his dancers, sometimes in ways that were mentally or physically uncomfortable at first. (Imagine being told, after writing normally all your life, "Okay, now write with your opposite hand. In crayon. While hanging by your toes. But keep that good handwriting!" If you don't have a deep need to do what you're doing plus a huge trust in the person giving instructions, it's not going to work.)

There is no law saying that if you DO something you have to be utterly devoted and give everything in your soul to it or you're not REALLY doing it. All you need to dance is the ability to somehow move to music. Is that going to get you in as a principle at NYCB or the finals at Blackpool? No, but that's not what most people are after.
    chomsky likes this.
  19. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I've always loved this quote from Balanchine....for some, dance is entangled in the soul...

I don't think they're mutually exclusive....it can be a passion and a hobby, yes?
    chomsky likes this.
  20. chomsky

danceronice and latingal, thanks my dear friends!