What is proper Etiquette?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Flyingkamakiri, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Alright, well I've been wondering about this for the longest time, but is there some type of Ballroom etiquette followed by collegiate teams and individual dancers? Are we supposed to treat each other a particular way in order to show respect and courtesy? Are all ballroom teams inclined to act in this sort of matter?

2. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Not college-specific, but useful nonetheless:

http://www.utdallas.edu/~aria/dance/etiquette.html
    http://www.utdallas.edu/~aria/dance/beyond.html
    http://www.eijkhout.net/lead_follow/

3. Spartacus

Spartacus New Member

Hello again Flyingkamakiri!

This is a great question, and though I have been involved with collegiate ballroom teams for more than 3 years, I have never heard of a specific set of rules or guidelines. Seeing as I was the captain of a team for a year, that is pretty surprising looking back on it, but I can give you what I have found from experience.

To me, how collegiate teams interact is an extension of how individual couples should act. Ballroom as a sport is not like other more traditional team sports where we try to inhibit our competitors, but more about performing our best. So I try to bring that to the teams I interacted with, and I know the teams from many other schools and studios (UCSD, Harvard, pretty much every local studio) have done the same towards me and our team. UCB travels to UCSD and Harvards competitions every year, and they are always extremely friendly, welcoming, and all around great hosts and people.

There is always the temptation to let the competitive nature take us over, but I think most people tend to remember their first comps, the nervousness, etc and end up cheering for many couples on the floor, even ones from other teams. We are all dancers after all, and we are there to be the best dancers we can be, not just better than others. But having said that, I think it is always good Etiquette to respect all the dancers, even when we do let the competition take us over.

4. drejenpha

drejenpha Member

A good thing to think of when doing anything as a collegiate team (or any group linked to any school really) is that you are a representative of your school, your actions should reflect the values of your school. For Penn State that means being the loudest school there, regardless of numbers(we also tend to party hardest, we're working to keep the #1 slot after all).

Even if we might be from different colleges we're all out there to do something we love. Of course you want to look out for yourself and your team foremost, they're the people you have to stay in constant contact with, but a little courtesy towards members of other teams is great PR.

5. So as representatives of SJSU we should increase are tuition and offer less in our classes. lol

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

How about you follow the Golden Rule?

7. And what pray tell is that?

8. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

treat others as you would have them treat you...

9. Ah, obviously...