What Made You Want To Dance?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Aura, Dec 2, 2011.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Some people just like it, some people don't. There are other hobbies or sports I look at and cannot begin to understand why anyone would bother, but they adore it. You just have to find what speaks to you.

2. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

It was this TV show, "Dance Fever" that got me to take lessons

[YT]YiEmM8CK1R8[/YT]

And later, it was those Championship Ballroom Dancing specials on PBS that got me to improve

[YT]AS_Ccxl1prA[/YT]

The full story is found here:

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=163168773797

3. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

It's so fun to look at those old videos. Can you imagine if they were competing now? As much as I enjoy Ron, that performance would never be enough for today's Open Latin competition.

4. Piggles

Piggles Member

My *then* fiance and I wanted to know how to dance for our wedding. Both still doing it although he's not into the competitive side of things. :)

5. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Where do you find those words, I wonder.This is so eloquently said, I so love it!

6. Aura

Aura Active Member

Sometimes with hobbies click with you and sometimes they don't. I used to be a runner before I just utterly got sick of it and stopped. My Mom is a marathon runner. Most people that come into the studio are people that are trying out dancing.

They come and go, but a select few have stuck with it, and become my treasured friends.

7. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I had some emotional problems early in life (that worked out later thanks to dancing). When I was around a women I felt very insecure, shy and nervous. Dancing really helped me to break through that. So the first reason I started dancing was I wanted to be around women and feel confident. It worked, and I'm so happy I found dancing as well as a wonderful wife.

8. Aura

Aura Active Member

That's amazing. Ballroom has a wonderful way of evaporating any baggage you may be carrying with you. Ballroom has helped me work on my aversion towards physical contact, and I've made some lifelong friends.

9. tanzer

tanzer New Member

For me - I am getting married next year, my wife insists that we dance at the big event and I have two left feet! So I will be taking a crash course soon and have joined this forum to hopefully get some pointers :)

10. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF Tanzer!

And best of luck getting ready for your wedding dance!!

11. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

It never entered my thought process to try dancing because I didn't know that it was an activity that can be learned -- I figured it's something people are born with. A couple years ago I started watching DWTS because that's what my wife was watching. I saw that dance can be learned, so I decided to try it out and I got hooked.

I suspect most of the public is just as misinformed about dancing as I was, so it's no surprise that they never consider taking lessons.

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I started out wanting to learn C&W dancing. At first I went to a class that was given at one of the local clubs, but I discovered that I was not comfortable with the group class setting so I went to a studio and took privates which I was more comfortable with and willing to pay more for at the time. As I was going through with learning C&W dancing I became interested in the other forms and decided to learn those. Now, I don't even do much C&W.

13. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

This is really sweet and really true. I strongly believe that dance is magical. I consider it one of my ideals in life ever since it came into my life and changed it radically!!!
    It's nice you shared something as personal as that Dancementor! You inspire others with your story!

14. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I was having an interesting conversation with DP last night and realized something: I had started dancing before but was never super dedicated or into it. Then, when my relationship at the time exploded, I threw myself into dance and started practicing every day for 2+ hours. DP also got into dance around that time because he'd just broken up with his big ex and needed a distraction. Interesting how that works out.

15. Aura

Aura Active Member

It is really interesting how everything works out, and some of us end up dancing. That's why I love to here people's dancing stories.

16. elyria

elyria New Member

My younger sisters were taking a group class and my parents had been doing it for a couple years, and after I watched my sisters' performance I decided I would try it out and loved it:)

17. SamSays

SamSays New Member

I have always loved music and my body would respond to certain songs. Not knowing any "moves", I would only rock in my room or bounce in my car. After my mom's passing (56), I realized that life is too short and I have to explore instead of wondering. It was either this or get a motorcycle license... I figured I might be able to use this skill longer in life than riding the bike given my roadrage habits

18. Aura

Aura Active Member

Welcome to DF Sam and elyria! It sounds certainly fun when you have family members in on the ballroom action, but I wouldn't know because I'm the only dancer in the family. I'm glad you went with dancing instead of motorcycling. Not that I don't like motorcycles, but I find ballroom a bit less dangerous than motorcycling. Though, one of my friends recently broke her tail bone during a competition. Ouch! :-(

19. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

One of the major reasons I took lessons was to overcome shyness and social ineptitude.

20. Aura

Aura Active Member

It's interesting that you took ballroom to overcome some social issues because one of the unforeseen benefits in my dancing experience was helping me overcome my aversion of physical contact.

Interestingly enough, there's one student I've met at the studio that absolutely will not dance if other people are there. Luckily, the people are kind enough to open up the place just for her, but I sure hope she overcomes that fear of hers.