What Made You Want To Dance?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Aura, Dec 2, 2011.

1. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Agreed on all points. Not to mention, if you ARE afraid of physical contact, ballroom is a great way to get over it.

One of the things I love about ballroom...and dance in general...is that the more I learn, the more I want to learn. I didn't have much interest in rhythm when I started dancing - I wanted to learn to waltz, and maybe the other smooth dances - but rhythm grabbed me pretty quick. After my first comp, I was ready to learn all 19 dances. And then after my first few socials, I realized how much I hated sitting something out because I didn't know the dance...so, along came salsa, meregue, and a bit of west coast swing...which turned into a lot of west coast swing...which added in nightclub 2 step...and then the ballet and jazz to augment the ballroom...the list just keeps growing!

2. ktia85

ktia85 Member

Talking about social barriers. I use to have depression really bad and along with it came social anxiety. I use to get nervous and really anxious around people and crowds. Ballroom dancing has really helped me overcome those anxieties. I can actually go up to a guy and ask them to dance instead of sitting in the shadows hoping no one would see me. Dancing has done a lot for me in all aspects, physically, mentally, and socially.

3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

OMG ggin... how do you fit in all 19 dances, social style dances and ballet and jazz lessons? All in one week?

4. anametuer

anametuer Member

Pl allow me to raise the same question.:) I am struggling with just around half that number!

5. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

I can't speak for ggir, but when I was single and beginning to learn to dance, I learned every dance my studio had to offer, which was 18 at the time. I spent six nights a week at the studio, about 3 hours a night. Now, married with children, it's great if we manage to get out to dance socially once a week.

6. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I wish I had that much time! No, my focus is definitely on rhythm and smooth. I'd say I "dabble" in everything else. I learned enough to get by socially (or in the case of Latin compete at a beginner level), and add to that knowledge whenever I get the chance. I get to do a fair amount of club style West Coast lately, because it's convenient. Ballet and jazz are sporadic and purely to make rhythm and smooth stronger, or at least that's the plan. I look at it as cross training, in a way, like yoga or Pilates.

One thing I have noticed, though, is that if you focus on the basics in whatever style you learn - as long as it's ballroom, anyway - it makes new dances easier to pick up. Learning steps and the nuances of different dances (at a social level, at least) is pretty easy if you have an understanding of what is common ground with other dances. There is plenty of crossover, and then the differences are what makes it interesting.

I do have to say that I am in no way claiming to be terribly proficient in anything (well, except my 9 dance)! Like I said, I "dabble".

7. Aura

Aura Active Member

I like to "dabble" in different dances as well. Though, my teacher is mostly focusing on Rhythm.

8. anametuer

anametuer Member

Thanks for the sharing this tt, that's how one learns a lot.... :!:

Priorities may change, sometime in life... that's understandable. Hope the fire keeps burning.:)

9. Aura

Aura Active Member

My main priority, personally, has been my studies. It hasn't interfered with dancing too badly, but it does interfere with my potential social life on campus. I need to strike the balance between dance and potential social life.

10. mygoldfish

mygoldfish New Member

For me, dance has actually helped with my social life, although that may be due to (a) the extreme lack of a social life that I had before I started dancing, lol and (b) the types of opportunities I have to dance. Either way, I find myself making a lot of friends through dance. In fact, at this point most of my friends can be traced back to dance, haha. I meet people in my dance classes and in the ballroom club I'm running, and then I have met some other friends through people I know from dance so I guess those ones count too...It's actually been a major social boost for me, because before I started dancing I wasn't making many new friends in college yet (not living on campus has been a major hindering factor there..).

Anyways, though, I hope you find the balance you're looking for - I definitely know what it's like to struggle with finding time for studies, hobbies, social life, work, sleep, etc...there just aren't enough hours in the day!

11. Aura

Aura Active Member

There truly isn't. Hopefully dancing will begin to open up some social doors. When I get more experienced, I'll seriously start thinking about re-opening ballroom as campus recreation.

12. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

sparkly costumes

13. stash

stash Well-Known Member

haha something similar happen to me. My dad worked at a university and found out that they had free beginner classes. So my dad and mom dragged me, a seventh grader at the time, to the class with them. After that lesson I was hooked and my friends at school couldn't understand :p Sadly we quit going to the lessons about a month and a half into them

When I got into the same university about a year and a half ago, I hunted the club down and joined and haven't looked back since! It is my drug :p

14. Aura

Aura Active Member

Welcome to DF stash. When I was in eighth grade, we had to take mandatory dance classes just to, I don't know, refine us. It involved some ballroom and hip-hop. Most of them didn't like it, but this is when I really started to become interested in dance. Shortly after, I would take my first ballroom lesson in the summer before my freshmen year of high school. As for the sparkly dresses, I absolutely love them! I've never felt more like a refined lady. Although, I prefer Rhythm dresses to Smooth because I'm not weighed down by rhinestones.

15. N.G.

N.G. New Member

I was going thru depression, when I decided to do things I have never done before.. so I went to my first dance class. And after my first steps of chacha - I forgot all the pain and became a happy person :)

16. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Nice....welcome to DF N.G.!

17. Aura

Aura Active Member

Dancing has really helped me with my anxiety and depression simply because, like a good hobbies, it helps you forget everything that's going on.

18. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Thanks Aura!

19. N.G.

N.G. New Member

Thanks latingal! :D

20. Aura

Aura Active Member

I could use a bit of dancing right now. It was my first day at college and it didn't go as well as I had hoped. Oh, well.