What makes a dance studio MORE attractive?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dr Dance, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Active Member

There are many reasons that dancers gravitate toward a certain studio.

1. Great teachers.
    2. Great fellowship.
    3. Great location.
    4. Great prices.
    5. Great policy.
    6. Great memories.

And I'm sure that there are more reasons as well.

What is it about YOUR favorite studio that you find to be appealing?
    ajiboyet likes this.
  2. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Good floor/space
    Warren J. Dew and ajiboyet like this.
  3. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Ha! Cleanliness is at the top of my list along with calm atmosphere. When people are arguing all the time, it gets on my nerves. Of course, this isn't something you can always control ;)
    Hedwaite and danceronice like this.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

don't make me buy a package...don't make me take privates there to rent practice time...make sure that I know you are bringing coaches in...have group classes above bronze....makesure I know who is teaching them...keep the place clean...offer parties on saturday and sundays...have bottled water ande plenty of seating...make sure your pros ask me to dance no less than twice per evening at a party...teach your guys how to keep connected
  5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Clean, enough space, good music, staff who are personable.
  6. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Clean place, good floor, lots of space, friendly atmosphere.
    Loki likes this.
  7. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Nonsmoking
    teachers who actually teach instead of sell or BS students
    students who actually know how to dance and will, with other people
    good acoustics
    cleanliness
    good floor
    ample seating and parking
    some form of water/coffee on hand if I forget to bring mine
    friendly staff who won't let you languish by the door until you can reach out and flag someone down
    organization of the calendar and classes
    up to date on local events
    a web presence so that when I'm visiting from out of town and I email you "Can you share with me some of the social events for X weekend?" you actually have the decency to freaking answer me instead of blowing me off.

Seriously- if you have an email address or a facebook page, make sure you have a presence with a pulse on the other end to answer questions coming through there. It's not professional to ignore potential dollars, however negligible they might be.
    Loki likes this.
  8. fascination

yep...let me endorse the big floor concept as well...and a good floor
    3wishes and stash like this.
  9. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Climate control and Mirrors
    ajiboyet likes this.
  10. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Up-to-date, easy to navigate website

Classes oriented towards serious/competitive dancers

Good practice floor policy

Frequented social dances
    Dancing Irishman and stash like this.
  11. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

Ditto much of the above and add to it; A place for street shoes… Drives me crazy when the lobby/doorway is littered with shoes.
  12. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Active Member

Classes that are above the bronze level are difficult to find. There are far too few of these. (Maybe if more students showed an interest....)
  13. Hedwaite

I've noticed the "fringe amenities" (decor, matchy-match furniture, a cute little locker area, bistro tables, etc.) become less of an importance the more dedicated students become (focusing on floorspace and AC, and a place to park their crap under their chair). We had a small group who used to complain about the meat-locker AC freezing them to death, until a year or so later they were still around and cracking on newbs for not layering, Lol. This makes me want to find a studio etiquette thread though, as the side-thought just came to me- what is it with people who walk in, see your coat draped over the back of a chair, your cellphone and pack of mints lying in the chair, your shoes under the chair... and they still move aside YOUR things and park THEIR butt in that chair? Ugh.
  14. fascination

it's like church or group fitness...people are territorial
  15. fascination

studio etiquette thread...i like it...feel free
  16. fascination

my top thing would be: if you didn't shower and your studio doesn't have windows, please don't bathe in your cologne...I like a good cologne as much as the next person but no one needs to douse it to the tune of half a bottle
    stash likes this.
  17. Hedwaite

We have a guy at our studio whom I call The Human Car Freshener, because I've watched him with my own eyes go into an Abercrombie store, buy FIVE bottles of Fierce (good stuff, in moderation) and use it for everything from body spray to air freshener to shoe-de-funk, etc. I wonder if he gargles it.
  18. fascination

my studio is LARGE....the floor is large....I have been at the opposite end and been able to smell more than enough cologne on on particular gentleman...and I like cologne...but sheesh
  19. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

actually, chairs are for people. Stuff on chairs (especially where there are coat racks, space under chairs, etc) tells me that someone is not being considerate.
    IvyAB likes this.
  20. fascination

sure...IF there are enough hooks sufficient for that...at my studio, there are not....nevermind that I need to bring half a load of laundry just to get through my lessons