What makes a dance studio MORE attractive?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dr Dance, Dec 25, 2013.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

It's a luxury, but Dance World in Nashville has men's and ladies' changing rooms with lockers. Admittedly, that's the only studio I've ever seen that was so equipped. Our studio does have places for coats and hanging stuff. We've experimented with places to put street shoes, but it hasn't worked out well (they turn into junk catchers).
    ajiboyet and Dr Dance like this.
  2. letsdance101

letsdance101 Active Member

what I personally want in a dance studio is a good floor space, lots of light, lots of mirrors, and for the studio to be clean.

I definitely think that all the extra luxuries can make a studio much more attractive than other studios. For example, the studio I dance the most at (which I go to because of the superior instructors not for all the glamour) has beautiful chandeliers, lots of posh tables and chairs for people's stuff, big windows all over the studio, a seriously upscale kitchen, and bathrooms that are big, clean, and look like they could be found in a 5 star hotel or a really really expensive restaurant. To be honest, this dance studio is much nicer than my own house.

I have never seen the issue of shoes at the entrance at any of the studios near me. I can imagine how annoying that could be :/
    ajiboyet and DesireeDC like this.
  3. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I'd much rather see the shoes removed prior to walking on the dance floor. Really stinks to run into shoe dust/debris or worse, wet areas, when dancing :eek:
    cornutt and Joe like this.
  4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Sometimes that just can't be avoided, if the dance floor goes up to the exterior door. But I agree, it sucks when it rains because people track water all over the floor unless they restrict themselves to the periphery until they can change shoes. Snow is even worse, because they track in sand and salt. The sand can be swept away, but until it is it ruins the floor. And the salt left behind when the water evaporates creates slow spots on the floor that need to be mopped clean.
  5. jump'n'jive

jump'n'jive Active Member

Here is my studio. We put table and chairs in the front. Have carpet when you walk in and our desk. The front is all windows and it wraps to the side. Mirrors are up where they are next to the window. Floor is half a comp floor. No offices. Just a bathroom and closet.

Here is a panoramic view. Not the greatest pic but shows. And yes that's a white floor :)

[​IMG]
    ajiboyet and Bailamosdance like this.
  6. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

Most studios don't have shoes piled by the front entrance. I guess that they don't want their reputations to be stepped on.
    ajiboyet and cornutt like this.
  7. GoldenAmberandChaos

GoldenAmberandChaos New Member

I like a floor that's not too slippery,but is also not too dull. Does anyone understand what I'm saying?
  8. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that can be a very personal thing. What's fast for you may be perfect for someone else.
  9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

That is called "fast" or "slow".
  10. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Very attractive, but why white? Just curious...
    ajiboyet likes this.
  11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

And what material is it?
  12. jump'n'jive

I chose white to be different honestly. It also allowed me to paint that rich dark color on the walls to make the space feel larger.

It is just laminate. I installed it over commercial carpet that's glued down to the concrete. Installed a vapor barrier then laid the floor. Everyone who teaches and dances on it loves the way It feels. Gives a great "cushion" to your knees so you aren't banging them into concrete all day. It also is an acceptable form of install to not void my warranty on the floor material.
  13. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I think the white is a nice and unusual contrast. Sometimes in darker studios, if you're trying to teach, you actually have to wear different bottoms so your students can see your feet and leg lines. Here, it would seem a much sharper, clearer contrast that would make nuance easier to spot.
    Dr Dance likes this.
  14. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I really like the white floor- I would think that it would get scuffy really easily, but I suppose if you limit people to just wearing dance shoes, that would eliminate that problem.
  15. jump'n'jive

It has a nice coating on it and scuffs wipe right off. You can't see in the photo but it has wood grain as well so it looks like a white wood floor. It's no different the. Any other laminate.
    DesireeDC and llamasarefuzzy like this.
  16. DesireeDC

DesireeDC New Member

That really is a beautiful floor!
    jump'n'jive likes this.
  17. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

There are a few studios my my area (Washington DC/ Baltimore) that do have changing rooms. But Lockers? That's actually a good idea! (Maybe your studio used to be a fitness club.)
    DesireeDC likes this.
  18. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

It used to be a car showroom. The owners were just smart enough to put in lockers.
    Dr Dance and cornutt like this.
  19. jump'n'jive

Another angle

[​IMG]
    Loki, ajiboyet and Larinda McRaven like this.
  20. jump'n'jive

I love when we go to dance world to get coaching. David's studio is beautiful but more then that, the energy inside is electric. It's all about dancing no matter what level you are people just are there to dance.
    DesireeDC and cornutt like this.