What makes a dance studio MORE attractive?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dr Dance, Dec 25, 2013.

1. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Your studio is SOOOO beautiful! You seem to have a color theme thing going on, very good!
    DesireeDC likes this.
  2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

The floor at our studio is generally considered fast. Most of us have gotten quite comfortable with it and now we don't like slow floors.
  3. Sania

Sania Active Member

So you like your floors fast and your whiskey...

Or should it be 'floors fast and horses...'

Someone please help me set this up :p
    cornutt likes this.
  4. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

I like my floors fast and my women slow.
    cornutt likes this.
  5. snapdancer

snapdancer Active Member

They're easier to catch that way ;)
    cornutt likes this.
  6. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

As in "not too swift"? Ok, I can see an advantage to that. Bwaaaaahahahahahah! :p

Putting on my flame-proof u-drawers now...
    Hedwaite and cornutt like this.
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

8. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

"Not too swift?" Hmmm. I have found that most ladies who dance have above average intelligence. Many are sharp as a tack. Ladies NEED this kind of acumen when they have to deal with the likes of US.
  9. open_mind

open_mind New Member

When I take private lessons, I would go to any studio where my instructor teaches, no matter what. It's different when it comes to social dancing or practicing. I am not a social dancer, so I will comment on what I don't like in studios where I can practice, either by myself or with a partner.
    There is one studio in my area where the floor is nice and all, but (and it may seem silly) the restrooms are located right in the middle of the long wall of the floor. So if I need to visit the facilities, I need to cross the floor through moving couples and everyone can see: oh year, that lady needs to go to the bathroom. I don't like that. Plus, sometimes suspicious smell creeps out of the restroom to the dance floor, and that's just very annoying.
    I also don't like overly friendly staff at studios where I am questioned on my personal and dance life. Like 'oh, so you are married, how come your husband never comes here?', or 'why don't you take lessons with this teacher, he is very good?'. Or my all-time favorite: 'are you in a relationship with your dance partner?'

Don't like studios that encourage people bringing their babies and toddlers and assume other dancers/teachers will take care of them while their parents take lessons or classes. I do have kids on my own, but I don't want to babysit other's kids when I am here to dance.

Don't like zumba classes offered at prime time on the 2nd dance floor with music so loud, I can barely hear my instructor. I just don't get zumba at ballroom studios.

That's pretty much it for me.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  10. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Horses frisky?

I don't like zumba anywhere.

Also, when I have to go to the bathroom, I never cut across the floor, because it's bad LOD etiquette- I do the squeeze-walk around the perimeter of the floor and pray someone else doesn't beat me to it.

And the people who've asked you those questions seem more like the TGIFriday's waitstaff of the dance-world, but those questions ARE a part of human nature, whether they're asked or not. Sometimes, people just want to get to know you. I personally prefer the staff to meet me at the door, call my mom a whore, and punch my lights out, too.

I REALLY can't stand kids (anywhere) at the studio. Some people dance (competitively or socially) to GET AWAY from things for awhile, and it's not possible to do that when it's still right there clomping and shrieking and fiddling with the music and so forth. That, and their kids totally need some manners-training and a book or two to keep busy.
    ajiboyet likes this.
  11. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, yes, yes and YES! My feelings exactly.
  12. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Aside: I see zumba dying off around Chicago; where once there were 8 studios offering it, there are now maybe 3. Presumably it's going the way of Jazzercise, spinning, CardioBlast (sp?), etc. It won't vanish completely, but popularity and attendance will fall off asymptotically.

Since there's now a hot yoga studio on every corner, I assume that will be the next health fad to fade away.
  13. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

There are a lot of reasons I hate zumba, but one is when they dance on hardwood, their "Super Special Zumba Expert Endorsed Zumba Sneakers For Zumba" wreck the floor. Why? They wear them all over the place first and then track their crap across the floor. So to tie "why I hate" into "what I like"- When there are a LOT of different disciplines danced on the same floor, the floor quality really suffers if you don't really take care of it. That, and Zumba is glorified line-dancing.
  14. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Hot yoga has been around for a while, though. In my small midwest town we've had 2 studios for almost 10 years I think, and at my studio I see no signs of it dying out
  15. fascination

I taught zumba for a while...it was great for folks who were easily intimidated by step or other types of workout....but the shoe issue is a real problem, not just because no one should wear their workout shoes as street shoesand visa versa, but also because a zumba shoe that allows lateral movement is also rarely a zumba shoe with enough cushion for propulsion...so you sort of have to pick...as for fitness things coming and going; most things burn hot for a while and then dwindle, but, yeah, they never totally go away...spin and zumba, even step, are still reasonably popular around here but nothing compared to a few years ago...most people are running around whining for insanity right now, or turbo kick or whatever...it is just another person naming something and then threatening to sue you if you do anything even remotely similar...which is why we try to avoid buying into the pre-packaged programs at our gym...as to hot yoga, I love it and would do it everyday if there was a studio nearby...currently, I cannot figure out how to add it to my program...but it makes me feel great
  16. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Second the hot yoga...love it
  17. twirl2010

twirl2010 Member

I think 1&2 are my personal most important features and I believe they are strongly linked.

The floor needs to be big enough not to be a nuisance to practice but in the great majority of studios the floor is big enough. In terms of surface getting too used to only one type of surface can be very bad for socials and comps.
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  18. fascination

other cross training classes (yoga, zumba, etc)...couches, a place to stretch....would be added frills but not top priorities
  19. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

A place to put your 'stuff'! We dancers carry a lot with us to the studio.
  20. fascination

my corner of the studio looks like a bomb went off :)
    nikkitta likes this.