What makes a dance studio MORE attractive?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dr Dance, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Run over Little Johnny or Little Susie once or twice and maybe the parents will get a clue.

dancelvr, DesireeDC and Bailamosdance like this.
  2. Entangoment

Entangoment New Member

And you get a letter from their attorney?

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I suppose you're a shyster yourself?

Hedwaite and DesireeDC like this.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

5. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

What I'd REALLY like is a studio that can separate their "home" from their "business" and stay organized, keep their staff informed, and keep everyone apprised of what purpose they serve within the food-chain so there isn't any "I dunno" confusion when people ask questions and want real answers. People who get too lazy and casual and "I dunno, lol, hadn't thought ahead that far yet" are really doing a disservice to other people who need to operate under more stringent uniformity for students who respect things like punctuality and reliability. Keeping everyone in the loop and not just assuming whatever word it is will get around is important. I believe in semi-regular business meetings, whether or not there's any real business to cover, so everybody knows what's what. Students need to be students, teachers need to be teachers, and owners need to step up when they need to. There needs to be some motivation, some incentive to keep students coming back, otherwise they start to ask themselves "Why on earth am I paying so much to do this? I'm not getting anything out of it!" and they'll go right back to whatever it was they did before dancing.

jump'n'jive and raindance like this.
  6. Entangoment

Entangoment New Member

Interesting case in Arizona in the matter of alleged defamation of character of several attorneys and their firms by an "anonymous" Internet poster. Some say it was precedent setting.

7. fascination

of course, you are anonymous as well so I doubt it applies here

Hedwaite and stash like this.
  8. Hedwaite

Back to topic- it's a small thing, but a place to store your junk would be nice, if, as another poster mentioned, it didn't become a catch-all. In the break room, we have a 'shoe closet', but it inevitably becomes "Whose are these? Are they even here anymore? Hey, they're my size..." so maybe that's not such a bad thing.

Dr Dance likes this.
  9. jump'n'jive

jump'n'jive Active Member

I just want to say thank you for this thread. I reread it all the time just to make sure we are implementing all of these thing a at our studio. Sometimes we just get so busy we tend to lose focus on what makes a good studio from the student perspective. So thank you dance forums.

10. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I took it for granted until recently, but readily available water is a HUGE requirement in my mind. One studio I go to would be phenomenal (three rooms, great floors, accessible location) as a practice space, but they don't have a drinking fountain and their solution is to charge 2 bucks for a bottle. I'm stuck choosing between lugging two nalgenes in with me, refilling from the bathroom sink, or paying quite a bit to have enough water to make it through an hour of practice.

11. fascination

yep...while I am pretty much impervious to extreme weather issues, not enough toilet paper and no water tends to make me cranky

12. jump'n'jive

jump'n'jive Active Member

I never understood studios charging for a bottle of water. It's such a small price to absorb in the grand scheme of things. 4 bucks for 24 bottles. We always have plenty of free bottles of water.

13. fascination

I don't even mind paying for a second one as long as there is a water fountain.... or if they don't have bottled water, if they have cups in a kitchen or by a water fountain...

14. Hedwaite

Our studio had bottled water, but stopped when people started taking a bottle, unscrewing it, and then leaving it, otherwise untouched for us to clean up. To top it off, the dudes even tried to hide it under tables, etc. which took more effort than to just walk their lazy asses up to the garbage can and toss it, or just bring their own. So now, if someone says "Got any water?" We give them a cup and point them to the faucet. Ideally, I'd LOVE to carry at least the little bitty water, but the expense AND the effort of policing it isn't worth it in a small studio. Bigger, sure, though.

I'm just praying that the statewide smoking ban gets passed this year, too. The owners smoke and some of the students, and they don't understand how many of our students the reek has run off.

edited to remove profanity
    Larinda

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
  15. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

In my area (Washington, DC and Baltimore), studios are extremely competitive for business because in this tough economy, there is less available disposable income. Therefore, all studios are putting their best foot forward if you'll pardon the pun.

The main difference of commonality that I've noticed is that studio staffers have become more "personable" in their approach. Many have "greeters" (like Wal Mart) to make us dance consumers feel more welcome. Many have changed their decor to make the studio appear more "homey" such as couches, tables and lamps in the studio foyers to make the place of business appear more like "home." One studio (The Promenade) even has a coat room.

Studios are bending over backwards to ensure our loyalty. For us consumers, this is WIN/WIN!

DesireeDC, ajiboyet and jump'n'jive like this.
  16. fascination

interesting...I would hate having a greeter when I walk into a studio...I would probably automatically assume that there would be a hard sell coming...even if it wasn't true...just simply because I have never had that sort of thing except at places where a hard sell was immanent...also, rightly or wrongly, I sort of feel suspicious about a place that is too much about its decor....I tend to look at the quality of the dancers, and the floor itself...but I could see how, in a very competitive venue, the extras make a diff.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    IndyLady and Hedwaite like this.
  17. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

They aren't actually smoking in the studio, are they????

18. fascination

gag...that would never work for me....both of my parents were heavy smokers...I can barely go through a revolving door with a smoker and not feel ill...no offense to smokers...I am just very sensitive to it

19. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't know that I'd like having a greeter, per se. That said, I remember showing up at a couple of studios for the first time and not being clear on what to do, where to go, how to pay, etc., and feeling kinda lost and ignored. It's not an issue for me now that I know how the ballroom world works, but I do think that it's good for there to be an obvious receptionist, or at least for someone to promptly welcome newbies.

flightco, Hedwaite and fascination like this.
  20. Hedwaite

Not IN the studio- but there's a break room that is not well-ventilated at all. It's embarrassing. I love my dance family, but that's one thing about it I don't love and wish I could change without offending anyone.

DesireeDC likes this.