What makes a dance studio MORE attractive?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dr Dance, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I can see both sides on the greeter...I'd hate to think I pay more to have someone's sole job be saying hi when I walk in, but having someone up front to direct people to the right rooms and take payment for groups/floor fees is definitely nice (though I also like studios/teachers that go by the "honor system". Call me quaint, but it's nice having a teacher or studio trust you.

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

A receptionist at the front desk is not a greeter. And is almost a requirement for any real busy profitable studio. A studio that isn't profitable enough to have one, or isn't busy enough to need one is a poor studio indeed.

And they should say hello to everyone that walks in.

ajiboyet likes this.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

agree that a friendly receptionist is (in my mind) a different thing than a greeter....I would hope, that if there was a reception area, there would be a friendly receptionist....that being said, I have been at several studios which simply don't don't have a reception area....the phone is handled by whomever is working and walk-ins are handled the same...isn''t great for the person on the paid lesson but also seems to work well enough...seems like these tend to be independent studios where people all navigate their own students

4. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

And, a receptionist who knows what's going on is nice too. It needs to more than a warm body staring into space.

IndyLady and Larinda McRaven like this.
  5. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

Does anyone's studio have PETS? (None of mine do.)

6. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I don't like kids running around either. The first studio I went to had the instructors little kids running all over which I did not think was professional. It's your place of work. People don't bring their kids to their offices, etc...why is a dance studio ok?

s2k, DesireeDC and ajiboyet like this.
  7. Dr Dance

Of course dogs are impractical. Former studio owner Terry Gregory (may God rest his soul) from the (former) Feather and Three studio used to keep two large boxers in the back of his studio, Tango and Cash. Every time that Terry would teach a group lesson, they would yip and moan from their cages. (He had to bring them to work though. He lived alone.)

But other pets may be okay such as caged birds like canaries or parakeets. Fish in tanks seem fine to me. Basically any pets that wouldn't get under foot could be fine.

8. Dupont

Dupont Member

I like the sea of shoes spread near the entrance.

Reminds me of happy times at home with cousins, kids... Allows to assess quickly the number of dancers present, and to some degree their level, even before you see them behind the wall. And doesn't interfere with dancing.

9. Dr Dance

The trick would be to keep the "sea of shoes" from being annoying, ie... obstructing traffic. Good luck with that.

DesireeDC likes this.
  10. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I know many studios that have a cat or a dog. In fact Isabelle used to accompany me to work every day for almost 9 years. She was raised from day one, thankfully, with the help of the entire community at the studio and is perfectly socialized and behaved. She will try to entertain you with a myriad of tricks. She never barks unless on command. A simple stop sign hand signal and she will leave you alone for the rest of your visit. And she understands the concept of not walking onto the dance floor.

I think studio mascot pets are fine. But the owners MUST train them to be perfect studio pets with manners better than the people they are around.

DesireeDC, Hedwaite, stash and 7 others like this.
  11. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Or into ear.

12. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

yup. Screechy birds? No thanks.

flightco and DesireeDC like this.
  13. DesireeDC

DesireeDC New Member

Can you recommend some studios in the area? We just moved to the DC area and I would like to start taking some lessons. We're staying temporarily in Silver Spring so near there would be best.

14. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Or the kids will.

Hedwaite likes this.
  15. Warren J. Dew

Different studios have different models. I've known a few studios that are run by one competitive couple and no other instructors, and had no receptionist. They were fine - just a different kind of studio.

16. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I am pming you.

17. Warren J. Dew

Takes American Express.

This is a bit of an "icing on the cake" thing, but one studio in the area recently stopped taking Amex, and that reminded me how pleased I was when I first went there for a competitor's practice and they accepted it. The studio is still one of the nicest studios in the area, though.

I can certainly understand the change if this is a significant impact on the studio's costs, and it's unlikely to have much effect on how often I go there for competitor's practice. Still, I'm much more likely to authorize things like automatic recurring payments on the card that I actually trust.

DesireeDC likes this.
  18. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Dance teachers who take credit cards are high on my list as well. I've recently become a fan of charging large expenses to a card with 0% APR intro and then investing the money (conservatively) until they would start charging interest. Since dance is one of my biggest expenses (neck and neck with food / drink after rent), this helps my cash flow out a lot.

19. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Oh right...
    I too love studios that take CC, great way to accumulate points. But most studios are are a cash basis.

llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  20. Warren J. Dew

For me it's mostly a convenience thing. A lesson is the size of expense where I'm happy to write a check, but for practices and dances it's convenient not to have to have cash or my checkbook around.