What makes a dance studio MORE attractive?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dr Dance, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

One big part of your progress as a dancer is to be able to block out peripheral things, and concentrate on what you are doing.

Often when beginners start with me, the first thing they say is "I can't do this with others in the room, or without my music, etc". My answer for beginners is always that they will always get more out of their coaching when they ignore the environment. If they are paying for coaching, then everything that distracts them comes at a cost. And, you can never control your environment to the extent that you can decide who looks at you, what music is played, how you feel at the moment, or even where you are in the room.

This same advice I give to more advanced dancers - without focus, your coaching is ineffective. And if you give up your lesson to outside things, whether it is the whoops and hollers of others in the room, or even someone doing choreography that appears like yours, you have just wasted your time in the studio.

Dr Dance likes this.
  2. jump'n'jive

jump'n'jive Active Member

We are old school and haven't switched to the 45 min lesson schedule yet. I love teaching 50 min lessons and having a 10 min break to chat, schedule or collect payment, use restroom or grab a bite to eat. There has been much debate between the wife and I to switch to 45 mins but then I would have to hire a full time receptionist to handle everything I listed above. We are only in our second year in Ohio and although we can afford to hire a full time receptionist is it worth the trade off? Probably not right now while we are continuing to build and getting more into the black each month.

Eventually when we have more staff we will switch to 45 mins but right now we like the 50 min schedule and our students like it as well. Plus we can advertise full 50 min lessons where our competitors only offer 45 and are actually only getting 40 min of dance time.

fascination and debmc like this.
  3. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Group classes other than Bronze.

Sania likes this.
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Amen! Our studio has silver groups on Thursdays, and they've started a silver smooth techniques class on Mondays.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I would so love to find a local place with a decent teacher who actually held silver classes in which I was not the only one to show up...they are very poorly attended here when, about as often as a total eclipse, they are actually held...sigh...seems like I am always travelling further and further just to maintain a quality of dance....

6. Born2Ball

Born2Ball New Member

I probably should have been more clear about the distractions/discussion and who they are from--what I was talking about is really when OTHER people come up to you in the middle of your lesson (receptionist, other instructors, manager etc). If my instructor and I want to discuss it then that's on us, but if the manager or receptionist choose my lesson to ask me about scheduling future lessons, how many coachings I want next week, what song I want to do my showcase to etc, then I'm going to be annoyed. I could be in the wrong here (if I am, by all means please let me know), but I was under the impression that lessons are to be taught dance and not address other stuff like scheduling, comp packages, how many stones you want on your dress, yadda, yadda, yadda.

7. fascination

well..if someone other than your pro is doing that on your lesson your pro needs to handle that...totally weird, inappropriate....

8. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Active Member

"Thanks for asking, I'll find you to discuss after my lesson completes. Bye."

ajiboyet and fascination like this.
  9. fascination

precisely....I think this is why I am not a fan of whining...because so much of it is failing to take responsibility for one's own misery....if you have an issue, open your mouth and say it when it counts, rather than grousing about it incessantly when it will do absolutely no good...there is a way to be direct and fair about things we don't appreciate...but most people prefer to be steamed because they don't want to be viewed negatively....I view that negatively, because the ripple effect often infects a larger circle...on the whining thread, we sign up for it and it is safe space for that...but, for some people, whining is simply an open sewer, every where...all the time....if someone is too intimidated to speak their mind...then their misery is of ther own making ...I am of the "accept it, change it or move on" school....that is MY pet peeve about people at studios ...no one here intended...I am not making a judgement about any posters on this thread...but gossipy, whiney, miserable people who need to slather that on everyone else and who convince themselves that they are simply too nice to find their own backbone...but who actually stir up about 90% of the trouble....

it is not the same as what anyone else here has mentioned, but I was reminded of it by derek simply noting how easy it is to stop all of that and solve a problem....

this is a primary reason why I avoid socializing at studios, because many are full of this

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    Caroline Skipper, ajiboyet and stash like this.
  10. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

It would be better if we didn't have to say that, though. And since this is a thread about what makes a dance studio more attractive, it's absolutely legitimate for one of those things to be, "you don't make me have to turn you off in the middle of a lesson."

TwoRightFeet and fascination like this.
  11. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Re Fasc's post: I am very fortunate in that the small studio that I dance at is not at all like that. I think that part of it is that we all have enough respect for the teachers/managers/owners that we deal with any issues that we do have in a very straight forward way. There is a huge amount of affection and regard for the extraordinarily talented and extremely nice owners/teachers and that permeates the atmosphere. They have also done extremely well in hiring other teachers, as well. I don't think think most of the students would tolerate that type of insidious whining from others, so it just doesn't happen. I do know how fortunate I am, however.

12. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

Ok, I have figured this out. I don't mind when my buds and I watch each other or even when new people watch my lessons. They are usually nice about it and I realize they also have their own lessons. We help each other out and are in it together. Or if I watch someone good, I will introduce myself, compliment them and ask if they mind that I watched. They don't and I make new friends. But this other situation was just weird: as if they were sneaking into the studio and trying to get free advice and looking guilty about it. Just got my radar up. Also the sort of people that maybe you should keep an eye on your bag.

13. fascination

agree ...that is fair

14. fascination

I think it permeates many studios...but yes, it is possible for a student to step on the neck of it...though there is often a fair amount of sulking and snubbing that goes on when you don't play the game...and I think that most professionals have no idea of it or they would infact nip it in the bud...I know it wouldn't have been tolerated for a minute in my most recent environment...but these things rarely do see the light of day around the pros themselves, if they are true professionals...shrug...all a person can do is remove themselves from it or air it out in the open...

back to the original point, on the rare occasion that I have had someone be rude enough to disrupt my lesson and decide that they were apparently that special...my general disposition has been to first watch how the pro handles it...my preference is to see how they treat my lesson time...if it is isolated, heck, we are all human...if it is frequent, well, that tells me a lot...and it is incumbant upon me to decide how to navigate it if they don't...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  15. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Some years ago, we had a student who started coming in and videotaping other people's lessons. At first, he asked permission and a few other people consented, but he started doing it regularly without asking. And he wasn't taking private lessons himself. At that point the studio management put a stop to it. He quit coming in after that.

16. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

I do not like distructions on private lessons and always try to schedule lessons with as few other people as possible in the room.

Back in October I had 3 private lessons in a small size floor studio with 2 other instructors on the floor besides my teacher and I realized that it is not working for me at all. I was much too distracted. That was a complete waste of my money.

Now I make sure to book my lessons in the average to large floor size studio and choose “off-pick” ours with as few people on the floor as possible.

Also, about other people watching your lessons: It depends who is watching you dance, sometimes it is ok, if other students of my instructors I do not mind, but if some strangers watching I feel sometimes a “wave” of very negative energy directed to me, so overall it is better not to be watched during your privates, but it is not always possible. I take being watched by others over taking privates on the crowded floor.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  17. Born2Ball

Born2Ball New Member

Well joining this forum and, especially, this thread, has helped immensely in how I handle my lessons/studio. I've always known I need to speak up about my frustrations but never quite felt comfortable. I think part of it is the franchise, "we are all buddies" kind of atmosphere I dance at left me not wanting to upset anyone as a relative newbie. However, I've started telling people I'd handle questions after my lesson or we could set up another time to talk about something. I've also been a little more direct about other things I've mentioned in this thread and I'm happy to say there are some improvements. I still think there are many things that could improve, but I'm not going to run to the manager and tell them how to run their studio either.

So anyway, I still stand by everything I said as important qualities for studios to have. However, I did want to report the good news and thank those that gave posts in response to mine.

cornutt and debmc like this.
  18. IndyLady

IndyLady Active Member

I've been sitting on this one for a while: when the pro actually knows what's going on and can answer simple questions on administrative/business issues, instead of constantly saying "you'll have to ask [studio owner]", especially when studio owner's presence is variable and unpredictable, and even when he is there he is busy so I may have to wait to talk to him. Seriously, instructors should know the details of any "specials" they pitch to me, logistics of events, etc.

19. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

As a rule, it's kind of frustrating when "staff" in studio, store, or anywhere answers with "I don't know" or "you'll have to ask X". Be in the loop. Have a newsletter. Meetings.

20. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Pro: IndyLady, would you like to do a showcase with me?
    IndyLady: I don't know. When is the showcase event?
    Pro: I don't know. You'll have to ask Studio Manager?
    IndyLady: I never see Studio Manager. So I guess not.