What Makes A Good Teacher?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by SDsalsaguy, Apr 10, 2003.

1. LordBallroom

LordBallroom Member

I know about the area I live.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yes, Ohio has the best of the best...it also has near to everything else....if what you are looking for is a panoramic view on how widespread success in teaching students to be accomplished happens to be, I can't think of where else you would see it ...that fact that it is so huge bears out the fact that such success as you are asking about is not only possible, but also not rare and in every region of the US...I mean, if you prefer to believe that improvement in students is not possible, you can...but I would maintain that your lens is far more narrow than the sampling and diversity that ohio provides....there is certainly a huge differential between the quarterfinals and finals
    debmc and Wannabee like this.
  3. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

If not Ohio, then find a mid-size comp close to home and check it out. I have attended some smaller comps and I can tell you first hand, there was excellent, quality dancing to be found at all levels. Ohio would certainly give you the broadest and best picture of the overall state of the industry, but you can find great dancing at many smaller comps too. Perhaps that will make a better argument if you see that it is not so rare as you believe it to be.
  4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I'm going to Ohio. I promise you, I am not in any way a rarefied example of a Standard dancer, but I'll be competing there. (It's the only day my pro's dancing, there's only two of us, makes no sense for him to add a day when I can do any style of the four, even if it's my weakest, and it's a good excuse to practice a lot on what I'm worst at.) Though you could see much the same going to almost any NDCA comp anywhere with more-than-minimal entries. There was some solid, tough competition at Harvest Moon last week. Even in my age group (the As, which are often a lighter field.) Some tough judges, too, which is another group of people you need to get to know-they aren't up there marking to keep students happy.
  5. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

...and why do you think that anecdotal observations about your local school and it's member franchises represents the entire spectrum of dance?
  6. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Troll alert....
  7. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

It sounds like the environment you are in is very similar to the one I started my lessons in. Including the training methods, and the stratification of the teachers. To my eyes, during the first year or so I was dancing, the "advanced" teachers seemed pretty lofty. Now, not so much. I've known a number of pros who have been national level championship and rising star finalists and semifinalists who are certainly not "too good" to teach brand new beginners. Interestingly enough, they actually know how to teach beginners. You don't have to go to OSB to see this. Find yourself a nearby independent studio where students are competing in open (in the sense that anyone can enter) competitions, and just have a look.
    Debra likes this.
  8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

This is what I said... I think it has been misintepreted.....I clearly stated that different teachers can suit different levels, but there are teachers that can teach all levels effectively.
  9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I also agree that watching pro instructors with their students at competitions gives an excellent view. The top pros have students dancing well at all levels.
  10. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

I agree with TT and debmc on this you can review "final product quality" very well at major comps

But the teaching style itself you must experience for yourself Like TT said if students make it to open with a teacher that teacher is doing something right
  11. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with that. The top pro am teachers in the country have students that they have brought from bronze to open successfully, and have students competing successfully in every level...and every style for that matter!
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  12. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

There are some absolutely wonderful instructors that are great at what they do, but I would never recommend a beginner to them because they don't know how to teach a beginner. They're the kind of instructors that advanced dancers go to for greater development.

Then there are those who can teach all levels. You can take a look at their students and see how spread out their levels are. If you see beginners and advanced students under them, then chances are that they can teach everyone. But if you only see advanced students, then you may want to inquire further.
    Mr 4 styles and ajiboyet like this.