What Makes A Good Teacher?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by SDsalsaguy, Apr 10, 2003.

1. LaLoona

LaLoona New Member

Commitment? I call it craziness :) Obsession, addiction. Sometimes I wish I was not that "committed", but can you help it? I can't...My mom is still waiting when I "get over the disease", but I think it is chronical - like a virus, you got it once you will carry it forever in your DNA...dance virus, ha. Way of transmitting: vision and hearing :)

2. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

ok, i rest my case. I thought it, you said it.

3. LaLoona

LaLoona New Member

To cl5814: I thought it, you said it.

Yea, calling people crazy is not always appreciated (I've checked :)

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

patience....excellence...nice buns...

5. chandra

chandra New Member

That one is imperitive.

6. angie

angie New Member

All the comments well said!!!

I just realized exactly how lucky my children have been for the last 4 years!! We have been privy to one of the best teachers. She is passionate, she grows fond of her students--as in she wants them to excel in the areas that they want to and have the aptitude to do. She tells it like it is from the get go she still takes classes and makes sure the students know it!!! She does as good a job as I have ever seen in giving the quickstudy type things to work on and those who struggle get more hands on time. She also incorporates the quick study students to partner up with those that struggle cause once your body gets the move and you keep practicing, it's yours. She also dances with the students either as the lead or the follow. So, if you can find these attributes STAY.

7. Gypsy Wishing

Gypsy Wishing New Member

If you want the first time student to come back, the instructor has two jobs, one is contagious enthusiasm. The other is to give the student some feeling of dancing on that night.

8. Love2Dance

Love2Dance New Member

One time, I asked a coach of mine, what does it take to become a great dancer. Do you know what he said? He told me it only takes one thing.

Love.

If you love it, everything else will follow. If you just like it, it will come and go like a high-school crush. But, if you love it, you will do it. You will find someway to drive yourself and find those opportunities to do it and you will appreciate it. Over time, you just can't help but get better, no matter how slowly you progress, it's just like anything else. You can't just talk about it to get better, you kinda have to do it. But, again, love it and you will do it.

9. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I sort of don't agree with that. There are some people that just like to dance and will do so socially while there are others that love to dance and may one day maybe compete. You don't have to love something to enjoy its benefits. For example, I like to walk, but I don't love it. I will walk two miles a day sometimes out in the track behind my house, but that doesn't mean that I love it. I do it for other reasons, and those are enough reasons to get me to drive myself to do so.

10. rebounder

rebounder New Member

This is where I would say someone isn't a good teacher. If she uses other students to demonstrate a move it should not b a move new to the demonstrators. if the teacher has more than one level of students in a class she should use the lowest level as a benchmark and until lower level is capable of what she wants to teach the upper level don't teache something she knows is a strech for the lower level. if she wants to teach stuff the upper level is capable of, she should have another class or time for it. Othewise it feels more like shes giving half the class a private lesson. those having the most trouble should get the most help. favoring upper level students in a class that has beginners is just bad ethics. if she uses upper level students as example or to demonstrate, thats what it should come across as or appear to be to the lower level students or beginners.

11. Easy

Easy Active Member

lol that was definitely a rebound or at least a double post :)

If it's a regular class, you don't want to lose your faithfuls, but you'd also like to encourage new people to join. Before I teach a class for say a USA dance party, I'll teach for the mean of the group. If there are beginners, I'll start with something simple that all can do, but I'll interject technique for the more advanced dancers. I'll move to a more advanced pattern...something within the grasp of a beginner, but suited for a medium dancer. All the while, I will address technique as well as take questions.

A teacher really has to get a feel for the group. I've started with something like foxtrot using just basic and box time for a turning combination, but EVERYONE hadn't a clue. While it should be a wakeup call to the dancers who think they are good, I quickly changed the pattern as everyone's learning and enjoyment was more important than my sticking to my guns. Funny thing is it was really simple, but they are a step crazy bunch, and very few of them even know about lod or inside/outside of turn.

IMO teaching just to the beginners of a group without regard for the advanced dancers is just as bad as the reverse scenario.

12. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

Are you serious? Lol I can't even begin to imagine what creative bs they came up for needing a salsa dancer to learn foxtrot. I wonder hoe many peple in the salsa clubs can foxtrot......

13. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

I take what she meant in the context of variety in teaching styles. I have dance many different forms from ballet to danceport and find that the instructors that I got the most form were those that were well rounded in teaching styles (not so much actual dancing styles). When I don';t get something, my pro can always tailor it more to my level of understanding or use examples that he was shown through other super pros (which are pros who coach pros lol). A good example of this is when I first started dancing and went to a chain studio. My instructor only knew the chain studios form of what they taught him and nothing else. He as very limited in his understanding and depth of the technique. My new pro who is also in a mini chain is a well rounded dancer who ha been coached by many well known coaches both here (in the US) and Europe. He also competes in comps such as Blackpool and whatnot. My past teacher was not allowed by the studio to compete in outside comps or take training from anyone else but them or someone they bring in and approve. That in turn hurt me as a student.

14. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

Awww...what an inspiring moment. That's such a great thing to say (though I somewhat disagree).

15. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

I agree. Many people walk in and think.....well how much can I learn in one class. Surprisingly enough you learn a lot more than you anticipated. And I think that gives the students lot of enthusiasm about the whole thing. It did for me.

16. rebounder

rebounder New Member

If possible it you shouldn't b letting beginners join a advanced class several times in. this would b if anything a chance to start a seperate beginners class. if u want to keep both progressing at their level during the same time split into beginning and advanced and give both groups different material suited to their level and just keep checking in on both to help when they need it.

17. Easy

Easy Active Member

I'm open to change that works, but if I only have the one time for this group, I think I'd prefer my way. It's at a USA monthly, and there is no option of allowing this level or that level --they all come for fun and knowledge.

Unless there is a larger room or two rooms, I only have one voice, splitting them would most likely cause confusion and delay. It could be done, but for over all satisfaction and smoothness, I like one big class. I've been doing this awhile, and I know how to keep a large crowd happy. How do you think the 2 men who want to do just beginning level would feel on one side of the room by themselves with 50 or more other people on the other side of the room doing medium or advanced learning?

18. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Unless, as most on this site have not , taught for a number of yrs, you would find the practicality of " splitting " a one time group,if you had no assistance , is a recipe for disaster .

I currently "run" a split level class, BUT-- they are on courses ,and I have an assistant .
    What Easy does, is the norm. in the profession, teaching a beginners class on a weekly basis with rotating public attendance ,still should retain the same format .

Keep it short---- keep it easy-- and make it fun.

19. rebounder

rebounder New Member

How do you think the 2 men who want to do just beginning level would feel on one side of the room by themselves with 50 or more other people on the other side of the room doing medium or advanced learning?[/quote]
    Thats where u would have a minimum number of people required for a class to run.

20. Easy

Easy Active Member

Favoring any one group or level in a class is bad ethics. Using an accomplished student to demonstrate something when a teacher has no assistant is acceptable to most people provided they have a decent self image. It's not favoritism --it's called being practical!

You obviously are on the receiving end of the instruction. There are many types of classes. Most of them are suited for specific levels, but as Tango and I stated above, the class I'm teaching has a rotating public. You never know who's going to be there next. It's their choice, not mine, but I'm really good at what I do, and everyone enjoys the class.

I use beginner to advanced students to demonstrate, and anyone who thinks I'm playing favorites need not attend my class. They are also free to open their own studio and run their classes any way they like.