What Makes A Good Teacher?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by SDsalsaguy, Apr 10, 2003.

1. katandmouse

katandmouse New Member

There's a good discussion going on in another thread on how to achieve greatness quickly. In that thread, they advocate getting in touch with the right brain as the best way to learn. Some teachers who teach that way are involved in that discussion. You might want to read what they have to say. http://dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=30809
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

am glad this thread was resurrected

upon further thought I think some key elements are;

a good teacher has to appreciate the uniqueness of each student and work with what they are hearing rather than diminsh it...the teacher has to be a good listener

a good teacher has to have the same sort of work ethic that they expect from their student

a good teacher should appreciate the stress of competing and not contribute to it

a good teacher should have patience and know when to let a concept rest for a while and when to keep patiently repeating the concept accepting that the student needs the repetition but "isn't there yet"...

that's enough for one night...more later if I think on it again
  3. DL

DL Well-Known Member

A good teacher can observe a student's practice, and make a single, simple, true statement, that the student will be able to understand and incorporate into the practice at the moment it is said, that will improve the practice.
  4. fascination

and, if not, will search for other analogies
  5. QPO

QPO New Member

I believe a good teacher needs to be able to adjust his style to suit the students as they all learn differently. Just like being a parent :)
  6. I think a good teacher is someone who can see what is wrong with me and able to point it out to me in every lesson. At least a few things at a time.

I had a teacher who always said ok ok you're good. So why on earth would I take lesson from him ?
  7. QPO

QPO New Member

There is no point. I know what he is trying to do but you need to make the student feel good but offer constructive criticism....

8. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Someone who has experience in what they are teaching, rather than just teaching it from a book.
  9. biggestbox

biggestbox Member

To me, different teachers bring different things to the table. Some are excellent at technical explanation and spotting technical issues in your dancing. I think the higher level teachers (like the ones who teach top pros) can also bring out more. Mental coaching, artistic development, focus and musicality are very important especially for the intermediate lvl dancer who is fairly confident in their physical ability and technique.
  10. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

This happended to me too. I took group lessons and private lessons from the same teacher. During group lessons he always said, "you're good, good, and good......" And then I took private lessons and went over some routines that we did in group lessons, then he started to fix a lot. I was not happy about the situation and told him that don't give me mixed messages and he made me confused. Still he does the same thing and it looks that he has no intention to fix anything during group lessons. I know it is hard to fix a lot during group lessons, but at least he has to be honest with his students. So, I decided not to take his group lessons any more.
  11. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

"Good" is relative, you know... you are better than you were at the start of the lesson, but not as good as you will be.

As abilities grow, expectations become higher, not only for the student, but for the coach as well....

Good dancing is a journey, not a destination....
  12. fascination

but...as pertains to the topic...there are certain skills that foster success
  13. Bella

Bella New Member

Someone who truly cares about your progression and has great communication skills. Someone talented, respectful, patient, strict, yet encouraging.

Oh yes, someone who stands by you as a mentor, helping you achieve your goals...
    (Just giving dancepro's advice another hit!) :)
  14. Bailamosdance

True. My answer was responding directly to dlgodud who commented that they felt that a teacher telling a group class student that what they were doing was good, and then in a private adding corrections, made dlgodud feel that they were being deluded or that the comment 'good' was being said without care. My comment was to say that what is 'good' in a group situation, 'good' in a private, or 'good' at 1 year or 'good at ten years of dance, are all valid, relative to the abilities and result.

I didn't want dlgodud to feel that a teacher was not doing the right thing when the teacher was merely trying to judge performance and progress by the situation. In other words, what is 'good' today is certainly not 'good' tomorrow.
  15. fascination

I thought so...and I agree;) with you...I just wanted to steer things back OT...
  16. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

I agree with you generally. I was not clear about the situation. My instructor did not evaluate whole class as "good", he just mentioned to me about my dancing when I had a turn with him. So it was a kind of confusing situation. Compare to other students in the class, maybe I was doing good. But, was I executing all techniques I was supposed to do? That I don't know. I think I was kind of thinking that I did at the moment. I guess I had a lack of judgement.
  17. Bailamosdance

I teach, and one of the things I realize is that a student needs feedback to what they do at that moment. If you've been told to step onto a straight leg, and you do, or to turn your body to the left, and you do, then you get 'good'. I certainly can't evaluate the other 1000 aspects of a dancer's movements at that time, so I also might be saying 'that's fine' to a student who realizes that they are not doing as well as they think they should - but don't shoot the messenger LOL. Dance is a subjective art form, and must be evaluated 'in the moment' as such...
  18. fascination

is anyone ever executing ALL the techniques that they should?
  19. fascination

and on that note...a good teacher times and measures their praise well
  20. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Why not? In 100 years maybe.......;)