What Makes A Good Teacher?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by SDsalsaguy, Apr 10, 2003.

1. TangoRocks

TangoRocks Member

Very well said. That is one reason I am not a fan of the whole six-week-wonder teachers with no dancing background or real interest in dancing other than looking at it as "just another job." It is really easy to spot the difference between someone who's been dancing since they were 4 years old and someone who, at age 20-something, with no dancing experience, shows up at a studio to look for a job. Sure, there are exceptions--one of the senior instructors at the studio I go to started as an adult student and decided that was her calling and went into the program to become a really good teacher, but at least she had interest in dancing for dancing's sake, not just as a way to make a buck. I know which type of teacher I'd rather have.

I think what makes a good teacher is adaptability and a passion for what they teach--adaptability, since everybody has a different learning style and cookie-cutter teaching methods are not very effective. Passion for teaching, I guess, needs no explanation.

2. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

patience and faith

3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

For me, it's someone who is positive and nurturing, while at the same time motivating you to do better because he/she believes in you and does not want you to settle for less. And someone with passion for what they are doing...

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

someone who does not make assessments of me as a person, someone with a good work ethic, someone who doesn't burden me with their personal stuff...unless of course they plan on reciprocating......someone who does their job very well....period

5. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

One thing that is important to me is a coach that has my best interests in mind and doesn't just think of me as $$$

6. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I know that my coaches don't. I love them...

7. fascination

I don't mind if they look at me as $$$...as long as they don't pretend to be my friend...and as long as they are as committed to my success as I am

8. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Indeed Fasc. In fact, have seen some coaches that didn't respect the $$$ part as much as I would like. I want them to acknowledge what I'm paying to get that time with them, and make sure I'm getting value back from them for it

9. fascination

and I can honestly say that I get my money's worth...every single time...always

10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Someone who gets results. They may be the greatest dancer in the world, or the most sensitive, positive affirming human being ever, but if I'm not learning they're not worth my money. (In fact I tend to respond poorly to "feminine" teaching--positive affirmation, exercises in team-building, self-esteem kind of stuff. Not that I want to be verbally abused, but I want the 'goods' reserved for when it's actually good, and I don't want my teacher to feel he has to give me a long list "this was great and this and this" before he makes any correction.) And someone with a plan--he's the expert, I expect him to act like it.

11. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

One thing I like is when a teacher keeps it fun, while keeping the session purposeful...

12. Yana

Yana Member

It's important to me when a teacher is aware of my goals and does everything they possible can to help me reach my goals. Someone who still believes in me when I have doubts. Someone who still sees my true potential when my own vision becomes blurred. Someone who pushes and encourages me when I feel like walking out of a lesson because I'm frustrated to tears. Someone who is patient when it takes me a million tries to do an element correctly....

13. freeageless

freeageless Active Member

Yana, very well stated. I concur. Dancing requires repetition, after repetition, after repetition. A dance teacher who lacks patience is in my opinion no dance teacher.

14. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

+1 :cheers: Good post, Yana...

15. fascination

patience is a tricky thing...sometimes when I sense that my pro is ...um...finding my limits tedious...I am able to reach deeper more quickly and accomplsh something sooner ...though I agree that a certain baseline of patience must be there

16. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Reading all the posts confirms for me that the best teacher is the one that treats each student individually and realizes that we all learn in different ways. Some like tons of information, some like less but lots of repetition, some like positive feedback and nurturing, some like a no-nonsense approach. The best teacher is one therefore that recognizes in each student what approach will elicit the best dancing.

17. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

[not intending to be mushy and all...]

Love is what makes a good teacher--nothing more, nothing less.

A love for their own experience to gain wisdom from it.
    A love to see a student grow, to nourish them well.
    A love to know and gain more knowledge--thus share more.
    A love for generosity, and so give what little they have freely.
    A love for patience, to better encourage a floundering dancer.
    A love for hard work, and be a model for the student.

A love for the art of teaching.
    A love for the art of dance.

m

18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, Max, that is perfect.

19. Yana

Yana Member

This I totally agree with!!!

20. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

That is so very sweet! =)