What should we think?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by macha, Sep 24, 2005.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yeah but that one's borderline (IMO) b/c the safety issue.....have seen several bad blows on this dance

2. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

That's been my experience as well. The only expection is when I've been to studio party in which someone is doing a special spotlight dance, which is announced as such-and-such student and his or her teacher is doing whatever dance.

I've never heard of a dance at a social studio party limited to a certain syllabus. :?

3. Throwaway Overshare

Throwaway Overshare New Member

4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

No, I think there's good reason for this particular one. Beginners who try to dance slow waltz to Viennese tempo will get messed up and learn bad habits; it's better for them if they just don't. And Viennese dancers move fast! There's potential for injury if you have couples who don't know Viennese clogging up the floor. It would be different if the DJ played a cha-cha and forbade dancers who didn't know cha-cha from doing swing or rumba to it.

5. cornutt

Now we're a ballroom and not a salsa club, so it's a little different, but the way we do this is: The lucky (or just embarrassed) birthday lady picks a partner to start a foxtrot, while other men station themselves around the floor. The music starts, the first partner dances a few bars with the lady, and then hands her off to the next partner. He dances a few bars, hands her off, etc. Once a guy has had his brief dance with the birthday girl, he is free to grab another partner and start dancing. So by the time the song has played halfway, all the guys have had their dance with the lucky :?: recipient, and the floor is full.

6. macha

macha New Member

That's writing, not actual dancing. I thought maybe you'd seen us dancing incorrectly. Not really accurate is it, unless you see a video or live footwork?

What's off about it? I didn't want to say ball-change or rock-step cha-cha-cha, or "and"...

Now I'm confused.

7. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Im surprised you didn't knowck the DJs block off for that kind of remark. I know I would've....

8. chica latina

chica latina New Member

I've been at different studios and have never heard of something like this. I would never come back to the studio. Sometimes some dancers forget that they were beginners at some point. We should respect everyone for the efforts no matter at what level.

I've dance with beginners that are off time, but what do you do? I decided that I'm going to be a good follower and socially will dance to whatever timing they want (if I see I can't backlead them to the right time easily) and have fun. Have been in dances where people approach couples that are off time and I beleive it's embarrasing for them and should not be done in a social event.

9. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

It's "two-three-cha-cha-cha," not "one-two-cha-cha-cha" (the "cha-cha-cha" happens on 4&1 of the music, not 3&4).

10. macha

macha New Member

Oh. I thought I was doing something wrong. I was just writing it wrong instead! Lol.

11. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

I was taught it as one-two-three-cha-cha instead. The counts are full beats, and the cha-cha are half beats. When people do the thre cha's, it ends up not really following what the music's doing.

12. macha

macha New Member

So, in other words, I should let our teacher ... teach? :wink:

13. sunderi

sunderi New Member

Yeah, they starting making the announcement after we had a couple of people fall last year . . .

14. SalsaAmore

SalsaAmore New Member

It's pretty much done the same way at the Salsa clubs. But, it got pretty bad at one point at this weekly Salsa club. Almost every other week there was a birthday and a birthday dance for so and so member of this particular group that frequents the club who knows the DJ's. I know people from both sides of the Salsa scene so I just kind of observe what's happening. But, the outsiders of this group use to watch and then they used to tolerate it. Only those who knew members in this group danced and they were some of the best dancers in the club, so they were sort of showcased while others stood and watched. So, recently, the others outside of this group stopped paying attention to the DJ's when they come on with the "dreaded" birthday dance and the outsiders just kept dancing around what's turned into a pretty small birthday dance circle, now. Maybe you can keep dancing Macha like you said before and others will follow. LOL

15. clave

clave New Member

Sounds familiar. :( You'd think the DJ would get the drift and quit the silly custom...

16. cornutt

Ah, I see the problem now. My take is that clubs that don't do something to make outsiders and new arrivals welcome are just shooting themselves in the foot in the long run. We do try; maybe there is more we could be doing. I'll think about it. One thing we like to do is, for our weekly prize drawing, we pick a first-timer to draw the numbers out of the box.

17. liangjz

liangjz New Member

Sadly, I've seen it taught the other way. More than half the time, it's because the instructor does not fully grasp the timing. (to put it kindly)

It's really annoying when it's a room full of beginners getting exposed to the wrong timing as their first dance lesson. Depending on the situation, it's hard to tell someone the lesson they just had from the perfectly credible sounding instructor was based on wrong timing.

I once had to leave a dance because I knew I would wind up spending the entire night dancing with beginners who were just taught the wrong basic.

18. liangjz

liangjz New Member

Now that you guys mention it, there actually are a bunch of performances and stuff that show up at parties. Pro performances are fine if the pros are good, but that's rare. Much more common are the pro-am or am performances that interrupt the dance. Sometimes they can drag on for 20-40 minutes. Now that I think about it, the difference between these performances and asking people to leave the dance floor so their "special" students can dance is very small. There is a matter of poor wording though. What macha described is still quite ruder even if it is ultimately the same inconvinience of being forced off the dance floor.

Someone mentioned birthday dance. (Though I think what I'm talking about differs from what was mentioned)

In my experience, it's convention at ballroom and non-ballroom dances that the birthday boy/girl gets to be the center of attention for a song or two (depending on how many friends are around) While everyone else just lines up to dance with them.

Even if I don't know the person, I think it's fine because I see it as analogous to when they make birthday announcements are restaurants.

19. lynn

lynn New Member

hmm, i was taught either one-two-three-cha-cha-cha," or "cha-cha-cha-two-three" - either way, the cha-cha-cha is on the 4&1, but makes me wonder what beat do we start on??

20. liangjz

liangjz New Member

I can't recall exactly how I was originally taught for American style, but I think we always started on the one.

I think all of my Int style instructors have taught starting movement on the one with the two being the first full power step for a syllabus opening.

Now that I think about it, I think my open routines all started that way too. Why break the habit?